• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this too much Cecotropes?

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi! :p

Was reading through the forum & noticed that some people have taken their buns to the vet when there is cecotropes not being eaten or an excess amount......

Im not sure what the norm amount is....:? In what time span?:?

I have 2 sisters dwarf lops - almost 11 weeks old now & one is quite small - you can feel her bones abit....
Ive had them 2 weeks monday just gone.

Indiana was small when i got both of them - but she had runny poo the first weekend I had her - called the vets & got her eating again & drinking etc - shes was ok.

She (Indiana) has been gradually putting on weight - but was still worried so weighed them both - shes a good 200g lighter than her sister Arrabella -who has now got some meat on her.

Ive kept a firm eye on making sure Indiana gets her share of pellets - as Arrabella pushes her out the way & eats alot faster.

Sooooo - just noticed that in the mornings they have quite abit (small patty size) squished about of cecotropes....Is this normal?

ive taken to checking their bums each day just to make sure neither is haveing a problem. And they have seemed fine.

Ive seen them grooming themsleves & eating them during the day or early evening....Im presuming thats what they eating as the sit there no where near the hay etc!

Some advise for young buns to be given unlimitted pellets?
I think mine would possible just eat the pellets all day & not enought hay.

So - how much cecotropes is normal?
In what timespan?
Do buns eat all of them usually?
How can I get Indiana to put on weight - but not give her the runs with too many pellets?
Will hay help her put on weight?

Sorry about the ramblins & questions!:oops:

I was gonna be short & sweet but fingers got carried away!:oops:

xxxxxAny advice would be grateful....xxxx

Back