• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal for a dental?

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive :) I have just been to pick blackberry up from the vets and she is fine.....she chomped through a big pile of hay as soon as she has got back and now she is trying to beg for pellets :D

I just need to work out the best feeding plan to keep those molars under control as much as possible. Any ideas form dental bun owners?? She normally only gets 2 tablespoons of pellets per pay so I think I shall try and get this down further

Hay, hay and more hay.

Glad it all went OK.

Unfortunately my dental bunny won't eat the stuff.:roll: I try to get him to eat grass and also got some "grow your own" from Hay Experts which grows quick.

Hay, hay and more hay.

Glad it all went OK.

Unfortunately my dental bunny won't eat the stuff.:roll: I try to get him to eat grass and also got some "grow your own" from Hay Experts which grows quick.

I have a dental bun that won't eat hay too! do you find you can get yours to eat any at all and how do you do it?

any suggestions appreciated :D

:wave: No can't get him to eat it. Here is a list of some of the things I have tried.

Spray the hay with pineapple juice (or soemthing else they like)
Put it into a blender with a bit of water and squeeze together to attempt to make my own hay cakes :oops: Not very successful.
Ensure hay is everywhere he goes
Chop some up and mix in with pellets
Reduce pellets
Buy toys to put it in
Stuff it into toilet rolls
Buy sample packs of different hay and fresh hay from farm
Play with the hay to make him think it is a game (he just bites it :roll:)
Mix with some grated carrot

He is 7 now so I think it is unlikely he will ever eat hay but I do keep trying all of the above and anything else I pick up from here.

He gets his fibre from Oxbow Bunny Basics T and grass.

Good luck if you try any of these, they may work for you.

Haha!!! I have tried all that! These bunnies must be wise to our tricks! I do keep trying. I have caught her munching hay occasionally hut she mostly chews it for a bit then spits it out!:roll:

Back