• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this cruel?

Is this Cruel?

• Total voters
Removing his teeth would stop him from biting you but not stop the agression. You would still have a very angry bun who had gone through what I consider a 'cosmetic' operation for your convenience not his.

My foster bun has had her teeth removed due to terible maloccusion - even so I felt bad that she had to go through all that. To go through it for a non-medical reason is, in my opinion, cruel - like de-clawing and de-barking other animals, as Vera has said.

You need to deal with the underlying problem. I know Adele has had great success with animal healers, it may be worth pm'ing her so she can give you their contact details.

The other option is to re-home him - as you have seen from this thread, there are people willing to take on aggressive bunnies WITH teeth.

Just to add, i'm not going to fly off & have his teeth removed :oops: Someone suggested to me (Actually more than one person) that it was an option & I didn't know how I felt about it.

I'm gonna keep working with him - the leave him with minimum human contact thing - he doesn't get any unless HE COMES TO ME. I don't force myself onto him, he's just in rooms where I am, & he returns to his room in his own time. Believe me, there's no forcing - i waited to go to bed until 2am the other night cos he hadn't finished eating the sofa. Bearing in mind he walked through 4 rooms to get to it, & I was sitting on it!! :lol: I check him over, & brush him on his terms!! :lol:

Thanks for the views though. Great. 50:50 :lol:

I actually voted yes it is cruel but am now wondering if I should have voted no. Whilst I respect the that his eating will be impaired, I think its too late if he somehow manages to bite through a main vain, such as the jugular or if he disfigures a curious child who somehow found their way to him without the owners permission.

Whilst its not treating the direct cause of the problem, it does prevent injury and hardly think it can be compared to the declawing of cats or debarking of dogs which are done for the stupid reasons that are so someones furniture doesnt get scratched or because someone can't be bothered to teach a dog not to bark. This is a genuine problem, those are not, no offence intended though to whoever said that.

At the same time I'm not saying that this should be done now, I think he needs more time to see if he can improve, it might take months, however it is more than possible this bun has neurological problems which are causing his aggression which might mean he will continue to do this because he knows he can.

I also think the suggestion of giving him a home where he recieves little human contact is a bad idea because rabbits, as we all know go down hill so fast that you need to check up on them 2-3 times a day and its very likely they'll need to be taken to a vet. How exactly would you go about checking for flystrike or try to nurse a bun who might try and tear your hand to pieces with the result that you need to go to hospital!

Its a very tricky decision and I am usually very dogmatic on these issues, as are most others, so in the end, whatever you decide Angie, you have my backing as I know you NEVER would have suggested this if you didn't think there might be a genuine need for it.:)

Is he like it with everyone he meets?

I think its cruel and a easy way out of a problem that could possibly be solved.

I had a biter rat, boy she wouldnt just bite once but multiple bite. I had stitches at one point and was covered in deep wounds. I learnt to accept it, that, that is how she is.

Maybe if it gets to much rehoming would be best? Ive never been bit by a rabbit but the thought does scare me, esp since when my dogs toe was bit off by oliver, ouch!

Do ears back always mean agression then? Mine put ears back when i go to stroke to them but havent shown agression, i assumed it was them doing that ready for a stroke? :oops:

Best of luck with him xx

Fair play to you Angie for persevering and searching out options.

Let's be honest here, if a dog is agressive and bites people it usually gets put to sleep.

Before anyone thinks I'm suggesting that, I'm not. Basically, I'm saying that it speaks volumes about the people involved trying their utmost to deal with the situation.

I've copped a few bites from rabbits, one of which was pretty bad on the back of my hand. It was from a hormonal doe and I manged to pull my hand away. It doesn't bear thinking about how bad it could be if a rabbit really, really meant business!!

carries exactly the same, but i wouldnt remove her teeth, shes not tooooo bad when out of the cage and bigs wanders off on his own so i can get my hugs when shes not looking, sometimes she takes it out on him but not as much as me so im having to use a towel as she knows if i show the slightest fear she goes for me, ive evern resorted to grunting and stamping my foot near her which gives her a little shock and she puts her head right down and doesnt lunge and lets me check her over and give her a fuss then, im working on getting to the root cause of this, im blaming breeding really on aggressive buns

whoops didnt see date wonder how buns got on in the end :oops:

Angie kept the bun and didn't have his teeth out..I believe he is now bonded.

but I too would like to know why Beehop pulled this old thread up?

Angie kept the bun and didn't have his teeth out..I believe he is now bonded.

but I too would like to know why Beehop pulled this old thread up?

Aaaaaaw that is great to hear he might have a wife, well done Angie for persevering with him, he couldn't have a better forever home:)

i think putting any animal through unnessacery general anestetic and risk is cruel. and by removing his teeth you are making him more vunerable to other rabbits and creating a hardship with diet. as rabbit teeth well at least the inscisors..are constantly growing they may well grow back even after the root has been removed this would mean that they could grow through awkward or pose more problems. personally i just think its unnessacery... i just would let him be .. he doesnt need to be handled that often...he should go to be a garden bunny with an understanding owner who will let the two of them be happy. live in a big enclosed run and hutch with his wife and be rear gaurded when possible to protect against fly strike and reduce the picking up amounts of him. but thats just my opinion. x

that will teach me to only read the firt 2 pages of a thread.... i just read he was kept and kept his teeth yay!!! go angie i think you made the right decision x

Back