• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This a Reason NOT To Vaccinate Against VHD? U/D Vet Called

Will You Continue to Have Your Rabbit Conventionally Vaccinated Against VHD?

• Yes

Votes: 91 88.3%
  • No, I will Use Homeopathic Vaccine

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, I will Not Use Any Form of Vaccine

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
Ok I have a question, because it's a live vaccine, does that mean to create every batch they take a healthy bunny, infect the bunny, kill the bunny to get the bits out the liver to make a batch of vaccines? How many bunnies are slaughtered to create a batch?

Also if this is the case how dio they kill the bunny, they wouldn't be able to give it a lethal injection as that will then be pressent in the liver.

I don't have a problem with testing per se (well I do, but if the drug was already developed then there is nothing I can do about it), but I am concerned that heathy bunnies are killed to make each batch of vaccines?

Is this what happens?

I hate animal testing with a passion. I do not believe (in human medicine) that it truly proves anything and I beleive there are alternatives.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this statement but medicines have come a hell of a long way and animal testing has contributed to that development.

I really don't agree with animal testing for cosmetics.

Likewise vaccines for RHDV are available. However, as the virus cannot be grown in culture it has to be extracted from the livers of infected animals. As a result, the constant infection and sacrifice of rabbits is required to manufacture the vaccine.

This really upsets, I never knew this happened. I'm not saying I wont vaccinate but it's really given me food for thought, why should other bunnies be killed to save mine. What if Beatrix wasn't born where she was, what if she was born to be killed to make a batch of vaccines.

I just keep thinking of the poor bunny that died to make the batch vaccines that protect my bunnies, the poor little bunny deliberatly infected to make a batch. I didn't realise this happened untill teh other day. This is what happens isn't it? :cry: I really want to know how many dead bunnies go into each vaccine?

I've got to be honest the more i think about it I hate the idea, if there was something made that protected us against, (I don't know) say it's a cancer prevention drug, but in order to crate that, they had to deliberatly infect another human, kill them to create the stuff in the vaccine, I wouldn't accept it.

Why can't an antidot be create? If it's man made surely they must know what went into it to be able to reverse it?

I think because of the moral issues involved, vaccination has to be a personal decision, and it's quite a simple decision really - Your choice is between 2 things:

You vaccinate and accept the uncomfortable fact that other rabbits have suffered to save yours.

Or you don't vaccinate, and accept the uncomfortable fact that your rabbits risk catching a fatal illness, and that's your responsibility.

Just because its man made does not mean they have a cure for it. Mxyie is man made but as far as I am aware there is no cure.

Personally I think if there was a cure out there drug companies would keep it to themselves as they make to much money selling the vaccines. Think how much money they would lose if VHD and mxyie was wiped out in the domestic rabbit population by a cure.

Louise

Last edited:
Just because its man made does not mean they have a cure for it. Mxyie is man made but as far as I am aware there is no cure.

Personally I think if there was a cure out there drug companies would keep it to themselves as they make to much money selling the vaccines. Think how much money they would lose if VHD and mxyie was wiped out in the cosmetic rabbit population by a cure.

Louise

Surely with most man made things there is a reverse and even none man made things, there is things like anti vemom for snake bites, I guess it's all conveniant for the drug manufactors.

Does anyone know how many rabbits are killed to go into each batch of vaccines, seeing JD's pm, I know a rabbits liver isn't that big so I wouldn't of thought you would get that many vaccines out of one.

Yeah, man invented nuclear fusion but there's no cure for radiation sickness - last thing a bloke would think about :roll:

Surely with most man made things there is a reverse and even none man made things, there is things like anti vemom for snake bites, I guess it's all conveniant for the drug manufactors.

Does anyone know how many rabbits are killed to go into each batch of vaccines, seeing JD's pm, I know a rabbits liver isn't that big so I wouldn't of thought you would get that many vaccines out of one.

If there was a reversal for everything then nobody would die or get sick would they? They can't even wipe out MRSA in hospitals.

I don't see it matters HOW MANY rabbits die for a batch of vaccine - they die - is one OK but 4 too many?

If there was a reversal for everything then nobody would die or get sick would they? They can't even wipe out MRSA in hospitals.

I don't see it matters HOW MANY rabbits die for a batch of vaccine - they die - is one OK but 4 too many?

MRSA isn't man made, unless of course it was a secret mission by the government to get waiting lists down :lol:

I want to KNOW, why do you have the problem with me asking, it matters to me even if it doesn't matter to you? :?

I'm waiting for a phone call back form the vet at Fort Dodge to find out how they actually make the vaccine.

Louise

I'm waiting for a phone call back form the vet at Fort Dodge to find out how they actually make the vaccine.

Louise

Louise Thank you :D

I'm assuming this thread was started because of the same question I asked over on Tufty :lol: , I need to know the numbers, it's really doing my head in now :( .

Is it 1 rabbit sacrificed per vaccine or 0.00000000000001 rabbit sacrificed per vaccine, this really matters to me.

MRSA isn't man made, unless of course it was a secret mission by the government to get waiting lists down :lol:

I want to KNOW, why do you have the problem with me asking, it matters to me even if it doesn't matter to you? :?

Yeah but I want to know why you want to know :?

Louise Thank you :D

I'm assuming this thread was started because of the same question I asked over on Tufty :lol: , I need to know the numbers, it's really doing my head in now :( .

Is it 1 rabbit sacrificed per vaccine or 0.00000000000001 rabbit sacrificed per vaccine, this really matters to me.

that's what I meant - what matters really is not how many die, but that they do die - surely one is just as bad as 4?

I am not a scientist so can only guess. But surely once the Virus has been isolated in a diseased liver the Virus can be stored and then placed in a controlled environment where it will replicate. So the Virus sort of 'grows' more of itself so to speak.
I dont think loads of Rabbits have to be killed every time a batch of vaccine is produced.

:?

Janex

I am not a scientist so can only guess. But surely once the Virus has been isolated in a diseased liver the Virus can be stored and then placed in a controlled environment where it will replicate. So the Virus sort of 'grows' more of itself so to speak.
I dont think loads of Rabbits have to be killed every time a batch of vaccine is produce.

:?

Janex

Yeah you see that's how I always thought it was made, then you put the link up the other day about it and it started me thinking they were killed everytime and it really upset me. I feel awfull if that was the case :(

Personally having watched 3 of my bunnies die from VHD I will definately stick to conventional vacs.
I tried the homeopathic route, ( thinking i was doing the right thing at the time ) & Blue, angel & Digby paid the ultimate price for my mistake!:cry:

i don`t like animal testing & buy all my cosmetics & cleaning products from cruelty free sources, but as others have said most medicines are tested on animals which yes i dislike the thought of but unless you`re going to stop using all medications on you & your pets I don`t see the point in refusing to vaccinate your rabbits when it could well save their lives.

JMO

Su.x

Back