• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This a Reason NOT To Vaccinate Against VHD? U/D Vet Called

Will You Continue to Have Your Rabbit Conventionally Vaccinated Against VHD?

• Yes

Votes: 91 88.3%
  • No, I will Use Homeopathic Vaccine

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, I will Not Use Any Form of Vaccine

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
Yes, I will continue to vaccinate conventionally, and I agree with what everyone has said.

It does seem a little odd to withhold one treatment because of an objection to animal testing. Sadly, all medications we use on our buns (and ourselves) have probably been tested on animals at some point.

I will continue to vaccinate my bunny against VHD. As has been pointed out, most vaccinces/treatment etc will have been tested on rabbits to check that it works. I did read an article (the link was on here somewhere) about the myxi vaccine that they are trying to find new ways of developing vaccines for rabbits, but even then they won't develop a vaccine in that way and then just sell it, it will need to be tested on rabbits to make sure it is actually effective. It will greatly reduce the number of animals being used though. When it comes to the current vaccines, they have ALREADY been developed and so it is unlikely to be still tested on animals (I am assuming anyway). I really, really disagree with animal testing for cosmetics, but when it comes to medicines and vaccines there is currently no other viable way to develop them. I would not withhold such important vaccines from myself, my family or any animal.

Most people know I use homeopathic nosodes instead of the conventional vaccine's. ;)

Do they work? And by "work" I mean has it been proven scientifically that they work, rather than no-one you know who uses homeopathic medicine has had a rabbit die from VHD, as that could just be coincidence. :) I'm asking out of curiosity as I know very little about this. Thanks!

AMETHYST

As far as I am aware it has not been proven in a proper clinical trial that they work. I know there has been some trials regarding cattle but non specific to rabbits.

Louise

From research I had to conduct earlier in the year I found that many homeopathic and alternative products (for humans) had very little, if any, evidence behind their effectiveness. However I know many people swear by them (I also had a debate with the guy in the herbal shop!).

My buns will be vaccinated using the conventional vaccine and I wouldn't switch to a homeopathic one until I had read substantial evidence supporting it's effectiveness. I do hate the thought of animal testing and I will always give alternative treatments a try, but not if my bun's health is at risk, I worry enough already!! :)

Last edited:
I agree with comments made previous to my post, i voted YES, i will still get their vaccs, theres no doubt in my mind, i have to do what IMHO is right for MY bunnies. I can't stand animal cruelty in any form but until a 100% effective vaccination is "discovered" then IMO these tests are still needed even though i find it deeply distressing thinking about it :cry: :cry: :cry:

nobody moans that human vaccines and medicines are tested on humans, so whats wrong with testing it on the animal it may untimatly save?

Im going to say i totally agree, and prepare to be shot. I'd much rather know that the vaccine is safe for my bunnies...

sorry x

I will always vaccinate my buns with the conventional vaccination. Although I do tend to leave a few weeks longer than the minimum time recommended between vaccinations, due to the extra stress many of the buns whom come to me have been through. Neutering, Myxie vaccination and VHD vaccination in such a close period fo time does little to help the stress levels of any bun particuarly when you want them to have a good immune system.

I agree - I'm sure that's what triggered off Santa's snuffles in the first place, she wasn't snuffly when I went to visit her at first, but I suspect that neutering, vaccinations, bonding and rehoming in such a short space of time was just all too much for such a delicate little flower!

I agree - I'm sure that's what triggered off Santa's snuffles in the first place, she wasn't snuffly when I went to visit her at first, but I suspect that neutering, vaccinations, bonding and rehoming in such a short space of time was just all too much for such a delicate little flower!

I could say the same about mine - they moved in, had their vaccinations, then were spayed a few weeks after. Then look what happened. :shock: :(

I definitely would vaccinate if I could. I know there are various types of myxo vaccines and I would want to know which type my vet used prior to getting the jabs. For the buns who are tested on, I would agree with what everyone else has said, that is is terrible but it has & continues to save the lives of multitudes of other buns, and will continue to do so. There is wasteful & unconscionable animal testing which is a whole other catagory I think.

I've voted yes - I'm attempting veganism - but I still have to use an inhaler, I use painkillers, keep animals, horse ride & will continue to do so, so not vaccinating doesn't come into it.

Although I think it's a shame animal testing is done, I'm not really ready to take my choices any further just yet. It would be nice to live on my own on a little farm being all self-sufficent, but it's also nice driving my car & flying abroad once in a while.

And I'd hate for my buns to get ill, just cos I was worried that some strange lab bun died 10 years ago:cry:

The thing that horrified me was not that the vaccination was tested on animals, but that rabbits are deliberately infected with VHD, then their livers used to produce the vaccination. This did horrify me. I was thinking about it for ages. I expect the infected rabbits have to be kept alive for as long as possible to produce as much antibody (or whatever) as possible. As VHD is a quick killer, I don't even know if they would die by being put to sleep or die from the effect of VHD.

I was wondering whether I should continue to vaccinate my rabbits. Presumably one anonymous rabbit in a lab can provide enough serum for many well-loved pet rabbits, but maths like that is very hard to apply. I probably will continue to vaccinate my rabbits, because it is easy to close your mind to it and just do it. But.....this somehow seems more horrific to me that the 'usual' animal testing.

Back