• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it wrong that I want to adopt a 'lop' rabbit and not a straight ears one?

Nope, nothing wrong with that. I think everyone has some idea of what kind of future rabbits they want.

Nothing wrong with it at all, as long as you consider all the other ins and outs :)

I have the best of both worlds. She has one up one down :lol:

I'm a lop lover! :lol:

This is only because I have been really lucky to have 2 friendly & confident lops, I'm sure if they had uppy ears I'd change my preference!:lol:

No, but I can see how a Rescue may feel that it is being a bit picky.

Rather like stating you want to adopt a child, but only one with blue eyes.

I've never adopted on looks. I've adopted on a need basis only.

I've had 5 bunnies in my lifetime and 4 of them were lops though. :lol::lol:

I always thought I preferred lop earred bunnies but I have more with uppy ears. I tend to fall for the whole bunny and the ears become less important. I was looking for a lop earred bun when I noticed BARC bun George and that was it - something clicked and I knew he was the bun for me, despite his uppy ears.

Once I realised he needed a wife, I found Gemma, who does have lop ears:) She is ideal for George though.

With Peggy and Sue, my Bridge Buns, I fell in love with their photo nomming carrots and didn't even notice their ears.

Furby, who was a Lymington bun, I had picked for me. I was asked what sort of bun I would like and I did say I'd like lop ears if there was a choice but I didn't actually mind. Furby is a lop and an incredibly handsome boy. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw him.

When I wanted a wife for Furby I did ask Angie at BARC if I could have a young bun as it has been so long since I had a young one and after the pain of losing Peggy and Sue who were more mature when I adopted them, I just felt I wanted a bun I could watch grow up - and I adopted Faye - another uppy eared bun - who was a baby when I first got her - but has grown and grown and grown - until she is bigger than Furby now.

Bumble (another BARC bun) I chose because he is partially sighted and I like the challenge of special needs buns. Again, I fell for him because of his photo. He, too, has uppy ears.

My latest bun, Apple, is uppy eared, but will make a wonderful wife for Bumble.

I do have a bun in mind when I am ready to adopt a new one - but I tend to forget that when I see a bun that feels 'right'. It is very difficult to explain but I have never regretted going with my feeling.

Sorry for the essay:oops:

I don't think there is a problem with it, you might as well choose a bunny you want as it is your pet and you are going to be looking after it for years.

I wanted a lop when i went to a rescue to get a friend for ruby who is an uppy eared bunny. In the end i came out with a gray uppy eared nethie, complete opposite to what i wanted. i will admit i only chose him because he was cute, and he is so cute and such a pretty blue gray colour with gray eyes. He is the mardiest bunny ever and it has taken me 2 years to "tame" him (though he still isn't a cuddle bun, not quite yet) but Ruby loves him lots and he loves her and they have the best bond ever.

I don't think it's wrong to have your 'ideal' bun in mind ~ but what I would say is, always keep that mind wide open.

We were looking to adopt a mini nethie (just like our little Cookie), and OH was having a casual browse online, when suddenly a picture of Ricky the Lion-Lop popped up. He had one uppy ear, one down-ear, a mane of white fluff round his head, and he was the lovliest little thing... He was kept in a hamster cage, never had neither hay nor veggies, and had been allowed *very* little time out of his too-small cage.

To cut a long story short, once we met him, we knew that he was The One. Young Ricky has come on in leaps and bounds; he loves nothing better than binkying around on the terrace, and we have a hard time keeping up with the amount of hay he puts away..! We are *so* happy to have him :love::love:

I don't think so
I do get annoyed when someone rings and says something along the lines of " my male rabbit is pining and we need a doe ASAP"
I then send them picks of 4 does and they come back with " have you any others as we don't like plain black ones, or rews and the other was a nethie which we don't want either " ..that sort of thing tends to make me count to 10:lol:

This :D if one of my rabbits was in desperate need of a friend, i would find it a friend asap regardless of breed and colour. And when i have gone "breed specific" i have always ensured i have space for them and a friend should they not bond with the intended.

There's nothing wrong with having a preference. You are still going to get one from rescue who is need of a good home so I don't see any problem.

if that is your preference then get a lop :D I told the rescue no to rexes so she never showed me any that were available :wave:

I don't think there's an issue with wanting a certain breed or type. As long as there is some compromise if necessary.

As for ears I have two lops, one up, and one undecided so I cover all bases :lol:

Back