• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside or Outside

Inside or outside bunny

• Inside

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • Outside

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 63 67.7%

• Total voters
they look like coffins/prisons to me, dark and dingy, i dont like the ones that sit on tiny little runs either, just makes me feel sad when i see them.. even the massive ones just look too much like a prison/coffin to me.
Not all hutches are on their own over over a tiny little run - our total floorspace is larger than that of an 8x6 shed.
I suppose I only really think of hutches as a place to eat and sleep, being enclosed is a good thing when bunnies are trying to sleep.

anyway, I do understand your point of view. Just sharing mine too!

Last edited:
Oops, I just clicked on Inside without actually reading the first post!

My buns are kept inside currently. I have been thinking about putting them outside, but there are lots of things that worry me about them being outside - foxes, cats, cold weather, the tree in my back garden which I'm not sure if it's toxic or not! Not to say that I would never put them outside - I just like them to be inside where I feel they are safer from these things. They get to go outside supervised as often as I can, but they both get scared when aeroplanes go over!

Not all hutches are on their own over over a tiny little run - our total floorspace is larger than that of an 8x6 shed.
I suppose I only really think of hutches as a place to eat and sleep, being enclosed is a good thing when bunnies are trying to sleep.

anyway, I do understand your point of view. Just sharing mine too!

i wasnt questioning your point of view you asked me a direct question and i answered :?

Those of you who say outside is better. Would you / Do you shut your rabbits away at nighttime?

Mine are outside and no, I don't shut them away at night, they have 24/7 access to their houses and attached runs. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk so I don't feel it is fair to restrict their access at their most active times. If accommodation isn't safe enough for night, then it isn't safe enough for the day either, as predators can come at any time of the day, so I don't feel the need to shut them up to keep them safe from night-time predators. They all have bolt-holes and of course their main housing next to their runs, so in the event that they are scared by a predator, they have somewhere to retreat to that they feel safe in. I feel that their safety in this way is enhanced rather than compromised by their 24/7 access as they know they can always rely on those bolt holes. My rabbits are not skittish as they are used to outside noises (I suppose in much the same way as indoor buns get used to indoor noises), but if there are unusual noises they will pretty much bolt before whatever it is (usually a cat) gets too near anyway, so I don't worry about them seeing predators and being fearful.

Umm...I don't think it matters as long as they are kept safely. Predators have been known to get to rabbits indoors as well as out. Foxes get in through windows and many households have dogs/cats - and house rabbits are more likely to be free ranging indoors, so I don't think you can make the assumption that outdoors=at risk of predators and indoors= safe. What is important is their quality of life and health and sensible protection from predators either way.

Mine are outside and no, I don't shut them away at night, they have 24/7 access to their houses and attached runs. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk so I don't feel it is fair to restrict their access at their most active times. If accommodation isn't safe enough for night, then it isn't safe enough for the day either, as predators can come at any time of the day, so I don't feel the need to shut them up to keep them safe from night-time predators. They all have bolt-holes and of course their main housing next to their runs, so in the event that they are scared by a predator, they have somewhere to retreat to that they feel safe in. I feel that their safety in this way is enhanced rather than compromised by their 24/7 access as they know they can always rely on those bolt holes. My rabbits are not skittish as they are used to outside noises (I suppose in much the same way as indoor buns get used to indoor noises), but if there are unusual noises they will pretty much bolt before whatever it is (usually a cat) gets too near anyway, so I don't worry about them seeing predators and being fearful.

Umm...I don't think it matters as long as they are kept safely. Predators have been known to get to rabbits indoors as well as out. Foxes get in through windows and many households have dogs/cats - and house rabbits are more likely to be free ranging indoors, so I don't think you can make the assumption that outdoors=at risk of predators and indoors= safe. What is important is their quality of life and health and sensible protection from predators either way.

I agree with you on the not shutting away at night. That was why I asked as my rabbits are most active at about 5am.

I agree that even indoors there is no way to keep them totally safe but there is less likelihood, at least in my eyes, or them having a heart attack due to a fox indoors.

That's the way I feel and I shall (try) to bow out of this thread now.

yeah of course, just said that so I didn't seem like I was saying you're wrong! not the best way to word it I guess :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol: gotta love forums huh.. ive seen some right monster hutches at hopper haven which are bigger than my house cage floorspace wise, but i walk on by barely glancing at the bunnies inside, but i gasp with delight when i see the shed enclosures :oops:.. dunno why i dont like them really, just some sort of hutch phobia maybe :lol::lol:

Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Those who say its safer inside, remember foxes are entering houses and attacking sleeping kids now! Maybe drawn to houses because they know tasty treats live in them :lol:;)

Just to throw a spanner in the works...

Those who say its safer inside, remember foxes are entering houses and attacking sleeping kids now! Maybe drawn to houses because they know tasty treats live in them :lol:;)

id like to see them get thro closed locked doors and windows ;)

I don't see the indoors as natural/cruel etc, but I do think you have swung the argument equally far the other way. Taking each of your points in turn, there are alternative ways of viewing things and meeting these needs. I am here talking from a UK perspective, I am sure I would hold different views if I lived in places in the world where the climate was not temperate and a range of very poisonous predators such as spiders were easily able to access outdoor accommodation.

Just because your pigs/rabbits haven't been attacked/eaten by foxes/predators, doesn't mean it is impossible, it just means that you got lucky.
No, it means that they are kept in a suitably secure predator-proof environment. Nowhere is 100% infallible, indoor rabbits equally occasionally get attacked by foxes/dogs/cats etc, being indoors does not make that impossible either, and by believing that outdoor ones are at risk but indoor ones are not, I believe it actually makes indoor ones unsafe, as one is lulled into a false sense of security by their safety.

For the old argument that they should have as natural an environment as possible - these are domesticated animals and are quite different from their wild counterparts. To me that is simply a ridiculous argument.
Similarly, this is simply a ridiculous argument. Rabbits are still rabbits. Domestication hasn't actually significantly changed their wild behaviour...take a read of a few Dr Anne McBride papers on the subject and you will see that while they may be housed and fed differently, bunnies are still bunnies...

Vitamin D? Enrichment? Birds? Breeze? They can get the benefit from these and be indoors.
Yes they can (maybe with the exception of naturally produced vit D), but they can equally get the benefit from those and be outdoors, so it's a non-argument either way.

Those that say they are happier outside - how do you truly measure happiness? How do you know whether they are truly better off inside or out? No one really knows the answer to this (because the animals can't talk) but we can make an educated guess. And inside there are far less variables for us to control, and therefore far greater chances of our beloved pets living long, happy lives.
While I don't particularly have strong views either way about indoor v outdoor, I'm sorry but your argument is nonsense. What are these 'far less variables to control'? Where is your evidence that indoor pets live longer, happier lives? Have you truly measured that either? These are assumptions based on your own point of view. Show me proper, scientific studies which shows that indoor rabbits are less stressed, live longer, have fewer illnesses etc.
And finally, your summary arguments:
- Inside they are a part of the family where they belong (where all family members live).

That is simply anthropomophising them. Rabbits don't think like humans. They don't think about being 'part of the family'. They are rabbits, not other humans. That is purely your own perception and not based on any fact. Surely the point is that family members choose to be inside because of their own nature, personalities, needs etc. Rabbits needs are different and can be met in alternative ways. If some buns love it - great. But I think it's dangerous to believe that prey animals like rabbits want to be part of the family in that way.

They recieve more attention inside. No one is outdoors all of the time, granted no one is indoors all of the time - most are indoors more than they are outdoors. Particulary in winter when it is freezing cold, wet and horrible, and likewise in summer when it is stinking hot and just as unpleasurable.
True, but it is based on the assumption that your rabbits want to receive more attention. I don't believe that mine, or a lot of others, do. They are in pairs with another creature of their own kind and this provides them with company and attention suitable to their needs. Again, I'm not saying that it's wrong to keep them indoors, but it is based on your assumption of their needs and one possible way to meet them. I meet these needs by providing another companion of their own kind.

Most furries are not suited to the often harsh climate outdoors. Guinea pigs for instance struggle with the cold and the heat. I have seen a guinea pig die from heatstroke, whilst it wasn't one of my own it wasn't a nice sight, and the poor girl was in considerable discomfort/pain. Indoors the temperature can be monitored to provide suitable living conditions.
Yup, but you then based your experience on guinea pigs, and we are talking about rabbits here. The UK climate is usually temperate, not harsh. Mine grow perfectly thick coats in winter and indeed choose to sit outside in snow/rain/wind. In summer they moult to very thin coats and choose to sunbathe. I would agree with you if we were talking about countries with extremes of temperatures, but it's not true of the UK most of the time, and for the limited times that we do experience extremes either way, it is possible to manage it.

Predators. They are everywhere whether we like it or not. Whether it be dogs or cats from neighbouring properties, foxes or snakes, spiders or rats. They all pose a risk and they can all cause considerable injury/death. Granted some of these can get inside (spiders for example) the likelihood of a pet being injured indoors from a predator is significantly less.
I don't believe that this is necessarily true in the UK - it's certainly not true for spiders, snakes etc, and in fact in the UK the reverse is probably true of these creatures - spiders and snakes are not native and are used to the indoors and will therefore be more likely to seek out indoor places if they escape. I think it lulls you into a false sense of security to believe that indoors is safe and outdoors is not safe. It's all about the security of the accommodation provided, wherever it is.

Space - Common argument - "I can provide more space for them outdoors then in." Simple solution. Make space. Rearrange furniture, they are a part of the family so surely space can be made? My room has a bed, and a bedside table and a small wardrobe for my clothes. Then I have a guinea pig wardrobe, 3 x 6ft pens, 4 x 65L containers for hay, pellet containers, 2 x large carriers plus an additional 6ftx8ft area left free (except for numerous toys which I constantly trip over :roll::lol:). I made space to fit the furries in. It is not impossible.
Good for you, but again it's not an argument for or against, it is just one way of meeting the needs. There are other ways, such as having large outdoor accommodation.

Easier to monitor. They are in the house with people coming and going all the time. It is easy to pick up an unwell bunny quickly and efficiently. The quicker an illness is picked up, the quicker they can be treated, they likelihood of a positive outcome is increased.
My vet says that I am one of her most observant owners and I pick up illnesses extremely early. Of course it's easier to pick things up if you're around them all the time; it's also easy to overlook things if you become over familiar. I don't feel as if mine have ever had anything picked up too late for this reason.

I have no problem with keeping bunnies indoors, but I do have a problem with being told that mine are clearly horribly neglected because they are. I don't believe anything you have stated above is insurmountable either way for bunnies in the UK :)

Last edited:
I lost a rabbit to a stoat when I was younger, and although I have rabbits outside now, they are only in my tiny yard, they are not in a garden. I personally would not leave a rabbit outside in a big garden unsupervised. It's just from my personal experience, not what I expect others to do, it's just how I feel, I know I would worry senselessly if they were outside 24/7 where I couldn't see them.

However, I can totally see the benefits of them being outside, and I can imagine it's easier to give a rabbit more space outside. :) it's all down to what the owner is comfortable with. I know Jack's-Jane had a fox come indoors and take her rabbit, so even indoors rabbits are not necessarily safe from predators.

So... I'm sitting on the fence!

For the old argument that they should have as natural an environment as possible - these are domesticated animals and are quite different from their wild counterparts. To me that is simply a ridiculous argument.

I don't think they are that different. Why then, do all the 'good' zoos, safari type places and animal sanctuaries etc. think it is good practice to try and replicate the natural environment of the animals they are keeping ? In order to cater for the environmental/habitat needs of the animal in a way that allows for natural behavioural reponses. I thought it was all about understanding the animal species you are keeping and focusing their needs based on that knowledge. Hence, lizards in tropical vivariums with climbing materials, logs and so on. (see I don't know much about pet snakes lol) Saying that I would happily have rabbits living in the house if there was enough space, but I'd have to take them outside to eat wild food and experience the great outdoors everyday.

I don't think they are that different. Why then, do all the 'good' zoos, safari type places and animal sanctuaries etc. think it is good practice to try and replicate the natural environment of the animals they are keeping ? In order to cater for the environmental/habitat needs of the animal in a way that allows for natural behavioural reponses. I thought it was all about understanding the animal species you are keeping and focusing their needs based on that knowledge. Hence, lizards in tropical vivariums with climbing materials, logs and so on. (see I don't know much about pet snakes lol)

zoos keep wild animals not domesticated pets dont they :? :?

Predators. They are everywhere whether we like it or not. Whether it be dogs or cats from neighbouring properties, foxes or snakes, spiders or rats. They all pose a risk and they can all cause considerable injury/death. Granted some of these can get inside (spiders for example) the likelihood of a pet being injured indoors from a predator is significantly less.

Predators are definitely less, one would hope, in the house. There are many other risks though associated with living in a human environment - getting hold of and eating damaging materials, falling off things that are too high, chewing through wire and many other I am sure.

I have a question. I'm not trying to be argumentative but it's something that just popped into my brain.

Those of you who say outside is better. Would you / Do you shut your rabbits away at nighttime?

They are shut in their outbuilding at night :)

Last edited:
zoos keep wild animals not domesticated pets dont they

No they aren't viewed as pets, but they have daily human contact, probably build relationships with some humans and many of them are generations and generations away from wild stock.

I have no problem with keeping bunnies indoors, but I do have a problem with being told that mine are clearly horribly neglected because they are. I don't believe anything you have stated above is insurmountable either way for bunnies in the UK :)

i feel the same as you but the other way.. i hate being told im cruel to keep my pets unnatually

keeping pearl as a house rabbit did not cause her heart problem and she lasted longer than both her brother and sister yet i kept her inside the home, which according to some is unatural and wrong :? :? :?

i dont get why if its so bad we managed to fight an hugely enlarged heart for 9 months :?

i have doubted myself that keeping a stasis bunny in the home is right but the poll i did the other day didnt have a great big lead for house bunnies getting stasis so i dont think im doing wrong by alvin either.

this forum makes us so defensive on our choices dont it :lol::lol::lol:

I dont think it matters as long as they are cared for.

I think the most important think is free range time and space and my bunnies all prefere to do this outside. Its a more natural environment, no laminate floors to skid on!

I personally think it depends on the bunny involved. Personality and physical health, mainly.

I have some who are clearly depressed (no, they can't speak, but its not hard to read body language) outside, but equally, others who are sad inside (my former wildie in particular would freak out if I tried to make him live inside).

So I think as long as the accommodation and set up is safe and appropriate for rabbits then they can live either way, depending on the needs.

I think being flexible and looking at what is best for your bunnies is important as an owner, and making decisions based on what you think should mean you won't go wrong for them.

Back