• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured Bird

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
i know its not a rabbit but I have an injured bird. I think its a hedge sparrow. Random children down my road keep bringing me injured wildlife that their cat catches and I just want some info on what to do with the poor guy.

He has a bite on his shoulder but is alert and able to fly.

Unfortunately I have no wildlife rehabilitation centres near me as this has happened about 5 times and I have only been able to find vets that will not treat wildlife except to put them down and I don't want to give up on him just yet :(

I've given him some baytril by syringe (taking care not to choke him) as I know cat bites tend to lead to septicemia, and have also administered a bit of sugar water to keep him hydrated.

I don't know what they eat (seeds or insects??) but have put some bird seed in a small cage for him anyway. So if anyone knows what to feed him I would be so greatful! I also have put a heat pack in to keep him comfortable...

I know that there is probably little chance for him as i know how fatal cat attacks can be but if anyone has any info on how to give this guy a fighting chance it would be so appreciated.

Thanks

some one told me injured birds will eat cat food, I found a baby bird in my garden last week and I totally sympathise it upset me a lot :cry:

ps I called the RSPCA and they were very helpful x

i called 0300 1234 999

Last edited:
i know its not a rabbit but I have an injured bird. I think its a hedge sparrow. Random children down my road keep bringing me injured wildlife that their cat catches and I just want some info on what to do with the poor guy.

He has a bite on his shoulder but is alert and able to fly.

Unfortunately I have no wildlife rehabilitation centres near me as this has happened about 5 times and I have only been able to find vets that will not treat wildlife except to put them down and I don't want to give up on him just yet :(

I've given him some baytril by syringe (taking care not to choke him) as I know cat bites tend to lead to septicemia, and have also administered a bit of sugar water to keep him hydrated.

I don't know what they eat (seeds or insects??) but have put some bird seed in a small cage for him anyway. So if anyone knows what to feed him I would be so greatful! I also have put a heat pack in to keep him comfortable...

I know that there is probably little chance for him as i know how fatal cat attacks can be but if anyone has any info on how to give this guy a fighting chance it would be so appreciated.

Thanks

Seeds and insects if it is a sparrow, also offer a shallow dish of water for drinking/bathing. Where have you got him? If you have an aviary or shed you could make a perch with some twigs/bamboo canes, as we did for the juvenille blackbird we hand reared. Fat balls crumbled up will help with nutrition and heat maintenance - the sparrows in our garden love those. If he can fly then he probably just needs some peace and quiet and a few days to gain strength.
For advice I'd contact st.tiggywinkles who provide a helpline and list of local wildlife rescues/centres: http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/
A local RSPCA vet or PDSA may be able to help? Quite a few vets round here turned us and an injured wood pigeon down once so we found a place through tiggywinkles in Sailsbury and took him there instead where they had lots of wild birds in rehab and he was well looked after. The blackbird we raised ourselves and released in our garden once grown and able to fly enough to stay off the ground. Good luck :):wave:

Thanks for all the help!

St. Tiggys and the RSPCA have both given me a few basic pointers on caring for him. The RSPAC advised that I take it down to their branch near me but after working at that particular branch for 2 years I wouldn't trust them with wild life as far as I could throw them! :? They weren't the best really...

Well the little guy is flying around and seems a lot more active! last night he was just sat there in shock but now he just seems like a little bird with a poorley looking neck :) He really likes the crumbled fat ball and is drinking and seems to be pooping normally. The wound on his neck is still quite bad and he had some more antibiotics again this morning. i will also try him on cat food and see if that helps.

I'll also put some twigs in as a perch for him. I heard somewhere it can be bad for their feet if they can't perch properly... Right now he's in a large cage in the garage with a towel draped partially over him and a box as a bit of extra shelter...

I really hope this guy makes it! At least he's made it through the night and seems better too! :) Hopefully only a few more days of antibiotics and its back to the wild!

I took an injured bird to our RSPCA centre and was told they would humanly kill it as there was no hope. I was also informed in future to take animals to a vet as they were not equipped to deal with wildlife

Back