• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor or outdoor?

indoors.
i have nothing against having buns outside, but i like my buns where i can see them. i would be worried about everything if they were outside, like foxes etc and what if they got ill in the night and i didnt know. as they are inside i can monitor every little noise etc and i guess its just peace of mind for me really. also, i kinda see them as a part of the family and i know myself well enough that i wouldnt see them as often if they were in the garden.

xx

Mine are outside
- It's easier for them to have lots of space outside (112sq ft) than it would be to have them inside.
- I just feel like it's nicer outside. If I was a rabbit I'd want to be outside in the fresh air and lovely smells, watching the seasons and the birds, away from the noise and hustle and bustle of the house, etc.
- No danger from electrics or household chemicals.
- No risk of destroying my flat and possessions.

On a slightly side note: I don't see my animals as being banished to the outside :lol: I love the outdoors and if I was comfortable in my thick winter coat I'd be outside all winter as well as all summer!
I hate to see my animals confined to the inside, even my mice get to go outside in the summer :oops:

This. :)

My two are indoors, I don't have a garden so I didn't have a choice but It works really well for me. I work during the day so I get to spend every hour from when I get home till I go to bed with them and weekends. If I worked from home and had a garden I'd probably have inside and out given the chance :D

I must say I have had my bunnies in for a week & for as long as I can remember I've dreamt they could come inside. But not now, they stink! Probably as I dont have any proper litter trays but oh well.

All the other reasons too, such as, more space, they prefer it outside, parents etc

Mine don't stink. Never have, providing I don't leave it too long between changes and Mini's cecal issue is under control.

Indoors
While I understand that we all want different things for our bunnies, I've always wanted a housebun/nies. This way I get to experience and bond with him and his character, (more than I would outside because I'm useless with the cold).

Oh, and he doesn't smell. Occasionally he does some stinky poop, but the smell fades quick and it's not all the time.

Both 2 in 2 out & the outdoor prefer it outdoor without a doubt, they are rabbits that were hutch bunnies I think from being young so they feel safer & more at ease outdoors in their shed/aviary, having both spent 2 years alone they now have each other & are a good match.

The two indoors are going out when the weather warms & assuming they bond ok & I think they will prefer it too, it's just a feeling I have, I have no problem spotting illness as I interact a lot with both sets, I don't think I could house a single rabbit outside alone, that would be a definite no no I reckon but a pair or more personally I think outside in a good size enclosure with all they need is perfect for buns.

Outside, I think my mum would have a problem with them being indoors probably die to mess/hay :lol: In my case, they have more room outside and it's what they're used to :)

Outdoors.

They have playhouses with massive runs, more room then the room inside they would be in.
I tried indoors but non of mine liked it.
They have the same amount of attention as indoors, lucky enough to have a 135ft+ garden at the momment.
Its much quiter outside, three cats, 1 dog, 1 8year old and 1 3year old make alot of noise inside, especially for Hony whos partially sighted in her remaining eye it was too stressful for her indoors.

Mine don't stink. Never have, providing I don't leave it too long between changes and Mini's cecal issue is under control.

I think its because they're in the bath and the pee just sits on the plastic? (well whatever baths are made from) as I dont have any megazorb etc. I have been cleaning them once a day though. I do feel a bit sorry for them though, they all look pretty hot because they're not used to it.

Mine are outdoors because I have 5 and they can have more space outdoors. Also I live with my parents so don't have too much of a choice. But if I had my own house and garden, I'd still have them outdoors.

I go outside a lot, I love it and the animals give me a good incentive to get fresh air and exercise outside. It's horrible in bad weather but you just gotta do it for the animals. It's a lot easier to mind animals indoors, but I just go out and do it, even when I don't feel like it :roll: :lol:

I think the fresh air, and grass and all is nice for them, also they get to see interesting things like dogs, cats, birds and all, which surely enriches their lives. :)

I think it's healthy for them aswell, to get fresh air and sunshine. My dad always says my animals are so healthy cos they're outdoors most of the time. And my vet says that dogs are much less healthy in California where she's from, and it might be the outdoor lifestyle here that helps.

Of course sometimes the weather isn't very nice and they have to stay in their hutches looking a bit sad, but then somedays it's nice and they can sunbathe. Well to be honest they don't seem to mind bad weather, they stay out in their runs even if it's cold, Leon stays out in the rain :roll: and they sit out when it's windy too, getting their fur blown around! :lol: Silly buns, but there's no telling them.

And they have secure hutches and runs and a shed :)

If I move to an apartment (which I might) then I'll keep them inside and that'll be nice to try too. But if I had a house and garden then I'd have them outside (but my guinea pigs inside!)

I'd love to have my buns running around inside too, but I can't, and they're used to being outdoors. Maybe having them in in the evening and at night, and putting them out during the day is the ideal thing for buns :)

my OH's mums really allergic.
ruby is the kida bun who likes her outdoors time in the garden

jays a very rabbity rabbit he loves to dig and run and generally cause trouble,
i dont think it'd be fair now to ever change them to indoor buns theyd hate it!

but i have met indoors buns who equally would hate it outdoors

Bunsk is indoors. He has only been outside once in his life, on his harness.

He loves the space we have indoors.

Back