• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor or Outdoor Bunnies?

Do you Keep your Bunnies Indoors or Outdoors

• Total voters

mr_rebecca

Young Bun
This isn't a question that I need any help or advice on, its just me being curious! :p

Before getting my buns, I did lots of research on every aspect of them (I literally went overboard - I feel like a bunny encylopedia) and during my book/journal/website based study, I found that most of the more recent literature says that the life span of a bunny is generally longer if they live indoors. One article even went so far as too say that the average life span of an outdoor bunny is only 3 years, where as an indoor bunnies average life span is 10-13. Now I haven't read anything else to back this up, so Im assuming the outdoor figure is so low because of the many children who own rabbits which arn't correctly looked after, and are just shoved outside...but still, it got me too thinking.

Now I know indoor rabbits life spans would logically be longer, as they arn't subject to harsh conditions, and theres no need to worry about rats getting in, or the rabbit getting worms, etc. But I was just wondering what your opinions are on the matter?
My bunnies live in my house with me, and they have their own bedroom because they're basically my children. I take them for walks outside most days so they get fresh air and grass, and i literally wouldn't have it any other way. But since Ive been on here Ive seen so many peoples fantastic outdoor bunny set-ups (seriously there are some incredibly loved rabbits on this site - It makes me really happy to see :love: ) and I was basically just wondering what you're thoughts are on it, and why you keep/prefere keeping your Rabbits outside?
:)

(I just want to say, I hope I didn't offend anyone with anything I put here, I certainly didn't mean too D:)

Interesting! I do wonder though, if the outdoor bunnie research is done on well cared for buns or those who are bought on a whim and kept in tiny cages?
If it's the tiny petshop cages/hutches... Indoor bunnies are a lot harder to "forget" about, so therefore probably live longer in most homes instead of being starved/ignored?

BUT, I like my bunnies indoors :) They're free range in my bedroom and while its annoying as hell when they jump on me in the night, I love having so much time with them. I couldn't have outdoor bunnies - I'd miss them too much!

@Steph Thats what I was assuming to be honest. My mams a teacher and is currently having her children tell her that they just got a rabbit, and then suddenly that its died a short time later because a rat got it or because it died of the cold.

Oh awesome, so you don't keep them in a cage at night? How does that work for you? :)
I used to keep my two in my bedroom but they would nibble the cage at night and i just couldn't sleep so i ended up moving my bed into my other room (Yes! My bed, not their cage! Spoilt things :p they got the lovely warm nice room haha) But sometimes my girl would fall asleep on my pillow and I wished I could have just left her there for the night but even though my room is bunny proofed, i was still worried about her getting hurt or damaging something.

Yeah, it's sad :( I've heard it so much too, and then people are shocked that my rabbits have so much spent on them.

It's quite good. They've only been free range for about 2 weeks I think now, but they're loving it. They do wake me up at times though by jumping on me, but overall they're ok. There's not anyhting they could hurt themselves on, all they could do is binky into the wall or something but they could have done that in their cage anyway!
I have a mattress on the floor now :roll: They have all the rest of the space. Including my sofa. My sofa is now theirs.
Spoilt little creatures :lol:

Yes same here! Why don't people understand that bunnies are amazing and deserve every penny?!
Awwh thats cute :) Haha I love how bunnies manage to take over everything. Im keeping them out of my now bedroom at the moment because I know that it will become theirs if I let them in. I already have their old cage in there!
Ive forgotton to close the cage door a couple of times >_< and when Ive come in in the morning, everything has been just as I left it, and they're normally just relaxing on the sofa lol But I think If I knowingly left them out all night, even if i was sleeping in the room with them, I wouldn't be able to sleep with worry!

Indoor. They get more attention that way and I just enjoy having indoor pets, especially free ranging indoor pets.

I didn't vote as I have both. George and Gemma are indoors and Furby, Faye, Molly, Dylan and Munchkin are outside.

George is a BARC bun who was abandoned in a hutch when his owners moved house. I never want to shut him up again (apart from vet visits) so I decided against putting him outside and he is free range with Gemma in my kitchen with a crate as a base.

I don't have a big enough house to keep all my buns inside and I think it depends on the individual bun too as to what is best for them. I know when Faye and Furby were inside following Faye's spay they were both really miserable and the difference when they moved back out was noticeable.

I prefer to have indoor buns as it's much nicer in the winter not to have to go out in the cold and rain to feed and clean them. I enjoy the increased interaction I have with them. I am not sure if an indoor life would suit everybun though so will probably always have both indoor and outdoor buns.

I really think there are pros and cons to both. There are advantages to living outdoors, and also indoors.

I didnt vote because I have buns indoors and outdoors.

I am interested in your findings. I guess that some outdoor bunnies may have their lives cut short if they are not cared for properly, not vaccinated, not neutered, not in secure accommodation to protect them from predators, if their owners dont know what warning signs to look out for with life-threatening illnesses such as stasis, flystrike etc, dont get them vet treatment etc.

I guess young litters are even more susceptible to illness and dying prematurely and then that might bring the overall average age down considerably?

When considering adopting rabbits, everything I read said to expect them to live for 10-13 years and I hope with all my heart that this is the case.

My two are outdoor bunnies and they are very very pampered. I adore them and the fact that they are outdoors doesn't stop me giving them the love and attention they deserve. would love to have them indoors but hubby won't allow it!!:roll:

I think that well looked after outdoor bunnies, who are provided with suitable accommodation and lots of attention should be able to live as long as indoor bunnies. Well I hope so anyway.

My two have a large shed which allows me to sit in there with them in horrible weather! So may outdoor rabbits are not so lucky but I like to think that my two are! The other good thing I suppose is that I work from home so can pop out and see them at different times during the day!

Everyone has to do what is best for them, their rabbits and their families. I spent a long long time thinking about where our rabbits were going to go. Iwould have liked them in the kitchen to keep me company while I work but they wouldn't have been safe there. In the end I went for one of our loft bedrooms because I thought they'd be safest there, but would still get plenty of family interaction. In the long run that didn't work out because the rabbits took over the whole room, and beause they're shy there wasn't a lot of interaction. The kids stopped going in that roon once the rabbits started destroying their toys and the whole place was covered in hay and cardboard boxes and little round poos!

Now we've moved them outside I feel they're happier and so am I. I found it depressing to have a whole room taken over by the rabbits, but I don't mind them having their own shed. And they've got a space that's truly theirs, they can hop into their own grassy run whenever they want to - it's a better environment for them. It's less hot for them, and less boring as they can see the world go by.

So, for me I prefer mine outdoors - I enjoy sitting in their shed with them and feel like I'm outside surrounded by nature.

I think the totally ideal place is outside but near the house where the humans can still see and interact with the rabbits on a regular basis (our shed's at the bottom of the garden).

Do, it depends on the family and on the rabbits. If I had had mine downstairs in the house, the kids would have left the doors open and the rabbits would have escaped. But if you're single or without children, it's different.

My two are outdoor bunnies and they are very very pampered. I adore them and the fact that they are outdoors doesn't stop me giving them the love and attention they deserve. would love to have them indoors but hubby won't allow it!!:roll:

I think that well looked after outdoor bunnies, who are provided with suitable accommodation and lots of attention should be able to live as long as indoor bunnies. Well I hope so anyway.

My two have a large shed which allows me to sit in there with them in horrible weather! So may outdoor rabbits are not so lucky but I like to think that my two are! The other good thing I suppose is that I work from home so can pop out and see them at different times during the day!

here here :D when I got my 2 I was undecided about if they would be indoors or outdoors, although they had been kept outside at the rescue. However they positively detest being indoors for anything at all so they are outside buns and all the happier for it. I did have to keep them in one night after I thought someone had been trying to steal them but they were not happy and desperate to get out again. But as long as the buns have the space care and attention they need, who is to say if one is better than the other?

our bunnies have been living outdoors in a hutch which is just outside our patio door so we can give them lots of attention, but since our Lily passed Miley is now a single bunny, so we're going to bring her indoors permanently so we can give her even more attention :D

i don't feel i can vote till she's had enough experience being indoors permanently... but we've been bringing her in each night to get used to our living room which is where she'll be free ranging and she seems much much happier indoors! she loves stretching out on our cool laminate flooring :love:

I really think there are pros and cons to both. There are advantages to living outdoors, and also indoors.

I didnt vote because I have buns indoors and outdoors.

I am interested in your findings. I guess that some outdoor bunnies may have their lives cut short if they are not cared for properly, not vaccinated, not neutered, not in secure accommodation to protect them from predators, if their owners dont know what warning signs to look out for with life-threatening illnesses such as stasis, flystrike etc, dont get them vet treatment etc.

I guess young litters are even more susceptible to illness and dying prematurely and then that might bring the overall average age down considerably?

When considering adopting rabbits, everything I read said to expect them to live for 10-13 years and I hope with all my heart that this is the case.

The poll lets you vote for both :wave::)

I agree, pros and cons to both but for me it's easier inside. I really miss them as well. Today I've been out all day and couldn't wait to get home to see them.

My two are in a 10ftx6ft kennel which was adapted for them. I have welded mesh all around the outside to prevent any rats from getting inside, and insect mesh which helps prevent flys.

I spend hours sitting outside with my bunnies, (all year round), they are a huge part of my life, I do not think their conditions are harsh, I do not bring them indoors in the winter so they develop a thick winter coat, they have a small hidey hole in their kennel full of straw and hay, they have snuggle safe heat pads too when it is cold, and ice pods when it is warm

I enjoy being outdoors myself, I love it in the bunnies kennel

Last edited:
here here :D when I got my 2 I was undecided about if they would be indoors or outdoors, although they had been kept outside at the rescue. However they positively detest being indoors for anything at all so they are outside buns and all the happier for it. I did have to keep them in one night after I thought someone had been trying to steal them but they were not happy and desperate to get out again. But as long as the buns have the space care and attention they need, who is to say if one is better than the other?

I wonder if its just because they are not used to being indoors, so it was stressful being in a new environment for them. I think a lot of people mistake discomfort in a new environment with hating being indoors/outdoors. They need time to adjust is all. This goes for any animal that is being converted to another environment.

I keep mine outside. I was going to sort out the spare room for them to move in to this summer but didn't get very far. :oops:

reasons they are outside:
I can give them more space outside than in.
I don't have to worry about them eating things they aren't supposed to (I remember someone's bun on here eating washing powder :shock:) or destroying the (rented) flat or my belongings.
I genuinely enjoy having to get out of the house to go and see them. Sitting out in the shed in the peace and quiet with my bunnies is my time out.
I love the outdoors, and if I were a bunny I'd like to live outdoors.
I can still foster dogs, whereas it would be too stressful for both the buns and the dogs if I had the buns inside.

The reason I wanted to try bringing them in was selfish really :lol:. I just thought it would be nice to have them around all the time. There is, obviously, no risk of predators inside which is a bonus.

I keep mine outside.

reasons they are outside:
I can give them more space outside than in.
I don't have to worry about them eating things they aren't supposed to (I remember someone's bun on here eating washing powder :shock:) or destroying the (rented) flat or my belongings.
I genuinely enjoy having to get out of the house to go and see them. Sitting out in the shed in the peace and quiet with my bunnies is my time out.
I love the outdoors, and if I were a bunny I'd like to live outdoors.
I can still foster dogs, whereas it would be too stressful for both the buns and the dogs if I had the buns inside.

^^^^^ This for me and mine xxx ^^^^^

I hated having mine indoors, they drove me bonkers and I ended up wishing I hadn't adopted them.

Outside is better for us all, they have more space, more natural and I can spend time with them on my terms.

Back