• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Flooring for the bunny room?

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
I have always had carpet in the bunny room, it has not been a problem in the past but now my bunnies have un house trained them selves :? Storm has always been a bit casual with his poo tray, sometimes getting bored half way through his buisness and hopping off leaving a trail :roll: it didn't bother me too much, you can just sweep it all up, but now we have a wee problem :?

Since Gypsy had EC and was incontinent Storm thought he would follow suit and just pee where she did. Since her recovery Gypsy is no where near as bad, but accidents will happen and Storm just doesn't care any more. As you can imagine, the carpet is a bit gross. It does not matter how many times you scrub the bunny wee smell is always there.

At the moment I have vet bed with puppy training pads covering the weeing area. Changine the pads and washing vet bed daily is hard work! ( especailly with an autistic son who is also not potty trained, poor washing machine :( ) How could I make things easier for my self without comprimising on the comfort for the buns? My bunnies are 8 and nearly 7 and are not used to slippy floors. What can I do to make it more hygenic?

erm I think I posted in the wrong section :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I clicked Report post instaed of reply with quote:roll:

How about rubber matting? You can get textured so it's non-slip - I have the equine variety & it's pretty thick - was 6x4 sheets for £34 each. Or textured vinyl?

I clicked Report post instaed of reply with quote:roll:

How about rubber matting? You can get textured so it's non-slip - I have the equine variety & it's pretty thick - was 6x4 sheets for £34 each. Or textured vinyl?

would gypsy be able to get her teeth into it? she is a little chewing nightmare :lol:

Mine is really thick & heavy - me & dad struggled to lift one:oops: but there's thinner versions. Vinyl you could glue the corners down

I will have to check them out. Is there any way Gypsy could randomly chew a hol in the middle? she used to do this with carpet and might be intriged by a lovely new texture

I will have to check them out. Is there any way Gypsy could randomly chew a hol in the middle? she used to do this with carpet and might be intriged by a lovely new texture

Mine's been down a couple of years with no chewing issues:D My buns are big chewers too, so I think it must be hard for them :D

I have textured Vinyl in my bunnies room, then I have Ikea rugs & vet bed in places to give them grip / a different surface to lie on. I got my Vinyl as an offcut at a local carpet shop and it is laid glued down so bunnies can't bite it.

The ikea rugs are large, but they fit in the washing machine (my Inca has little accidents too).

I'd definitely recommend vinyl flooring too, the bathroom kind that's textured instead of just completely slippy. It's really easy to lay and you can just lay it like normal vinyl in a bathroom - it won't come up easily. Alternatively, you can screw batons of wood all around the edges to keep the corners well out the way of bunnies. Doesn't have to be thick wood, infact the thinner the better as the bunnies are more likely to ignore it if it's thin and unobtrusive. I think people with really chewy bunnies have reported determined bunnies chewing into vinyl, but the best way to avoid it is to ensure it's very flat all over, no bumps, and make sure the edges are secured down. Should last a good while then.

I'd say lino, as long as your buns dont mind it being a little slippy. My two are scared of lino/laminate :roll:

If you want something more temporary, you could get foam mats, I get EVA ones from ebay, they arent at all slippy and they are easy to wipe down, but wee can get down the gaps between them, and because they are textured its not as easy to get them 100% clean and they dry slower than lino. But they are easily and fairly cheaply replaced when they get damaged by destructive buns, as you just replace the tile(s) that are damaged not the whole thing.

There are some really good ideas here, thanks everyone :D

I guess I'm just going to have to look round as see. I am a bit reluctant to take the carpet up as we only put a brand new one in about 9 months ago, not that you'd know with the chewed edges and wee stains :roll: I'm guessing that carpet is not the best choice for a Mrs piddle pants and a French plop :shock:

I would have to find something non slippy as Storm just does the splits and charges around and can't stop on slippy floor, he hates it and Gypsy acts like she is walking on thin ice :lol:

would these be any good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32-SQ-FT-...ss_Fitness_Accessories_ET&hash=item1e6d55e1f9

or too chewable?

Last edited:
I have those, from a different seller but same thing. They are chewable, particularly around the edges but my Annabelle also digs and bites the middles. But they pretty cheap and easy to replace so it doesnt matter that much.

hmmmm, I think Gypsy would randomly chew through the middle, she really is a destructabun :shock:

Oh what to do? what to do? :?

How about a couple of bathroom mats?
You know, the ones that you step on when getting out of the bath to soak up drips? they are fluffly and snuggly on top, but waterproof underneath to protect your carpet and you can machine wash them:D
I use them in my dog's beds and on my goat's milking stand:thumb:

Back