• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage size for 2 buns, who will be in the cage all day

Morgana

Warren Scout
Hi guys, someone asked me for advice for their buns, and I only have outdoor buns so not sure what to say.

They are going to build a cage or buy a run to use indoors, for 2 small-medium buns, indoors. They can't let them free range cos of their dogs, so they said that they would very rarely get let out to run in the house, cos it's not practical, but would be brought out for cuddles, etc.

So, what do you think would be a good size if they'll be in there pretty much all day every day?

I was gonna say 6'X6' cos that's like a 6'X2' hutch with attached 6'X4' run, but would 6'X4' on its own be ok do you think? I know they have limited space, but I think it should be at least 6'X4', obviously the bigger the better, especially since there are two. Or do you think it should be even bigger than 6'X6'?

Thanks guys :)

I would say to them can they bunny-proof a room that the dogs arn't allowed into. Personally I think it's easier to bunny-proof one room than build an enclosure that's big enough.

They don't have any spare room really to use, I suggested it already. I was going to suggest just buying a big run, and using it, but I don't know if it'd be big enough, cos that might only be about 7'X4' or something. Then again, it would be bigger than what a lot of bunnies get.

I know aswell that they are not quite as bunny crazy as people on here, so mightn't really understand how much space rabbits need.

Maybe I can work on convincing them to let the rabbits free range for an hour or so some days.

I think I might suggest to use a big run as their cage, and then to try to let them run around a room or two, for an hour in the evening. Not sure if they'll do that but they might. I kinda doubt they'll build a cage that's 6'X6' or bigger really . . . they might just think I'm being crazy!

It wouldn't have to be a spare room as such. Mine use the study room and my bedroom. Some people use a lounge or dining room.

It wouldn't have to be a spare room as such. Mine use the study room and my bedroom. Some people use a lounge or dining room.

I'll mention it to them. I'll say "it'd really work out much easier and cheaper for you", that might sway them :lol:

I'll mention it to them. I'll say "it'd really work out much easier and cheaper for you", that might sway them :lol:

:lol:

I spent probably about £150 on an enclosure for my lionheads. I've recently redecorated and bunnyproofed, which was a lot more than £150 but now I have a decorated room that needed doing anyway and the bunnyproofing used some of the stuff I had from the enclosure anyway so bunnyproofing didn't cost me that much - just the cost of the mesh panels really. And the lino but I wanted lino or laminate anyway and that's not really essential.

We don't have a suitable room for ours that we could realistically bunny-proof. Their enclosure is 6.5 x 4.5 feet, but I don't think it's big enough to leave them in all the time. They get at least 4 hours free range with us each day, and do often choose to spend some of that in their enclosure, but I know if they are left in for the whole day they get anxious and start chewing to get out.
When we had a sitter come to them for just 3 days recenlty they actually broke out! Of course, they are used to free range time, so not sure if it would be different if they were always shut in?
oh - ours are tiny too - 1kg and 2kg nethies!

Mine are 1.8 and Nutmeg is 1.3 so mine arn't big. (but very bouncy - hence them sitting on the windowsill ;))

We don't have a suitable room for ours that we could realistically bunny-proof. Their enclosure is 6.5 x 4.5 feet, but I don't think it's big enough to leave them in all the time. They get at least 4 hours free range with us each day, and do often choose to spend some of that in their enclosure, but I know if they are left in for the whole day they get anxious and start chewing to get out.
When we had a sitter come to them for just 3 days recenlty they actually broke out! Of course, they are used to free range time, so not sure if it would be different if they were always shut in?
oh - ours are tiny too - 1kg and 2kg nethies!

Aw yours are tiny :)

I'll tell them about how yours don't like being in their enclosure all day, and say how much more fun rabbits are if they get more exercise :)

definitely more fun - also more destructive! hehe.
yep - Truffs is miniscule - just means she can get into more places to eat things.:lol:

I think a room or a run 6x6 or bigger is needed....esp. if they are in all day...the thing is rabbits like to run - so if they think they will be bought out for cuddles after the bun has been sitting around all day - the bunny will most likely want to stretch their legs....
Perhaps you can mention that due to them eating their ceacs - they need exercise to be able to reach their bums! If they dont get exercise & get fat they cant do this and this causes health issues which cause vet expenses. Also the problem of muscle wastage which can cause problems as they grow older from not having enough room to run around.

Difficult to convince people that animals need room to be themselves....a cheaper optionis a room if they are unable to provide a proper run or supervised freerange care.

I know some people find rabbitys boring because they dont respond like a dog etc....so if they are not bunny people - the best option for them ill be to provide them with enought room at the beginning or the buns will find the people get bored of them quickly.

Hope you can help them provide enough room for the buns - then they will see how stimulated buns act when happy! :D

I think a room or a run 6x6 or bigger is needed....esp. if they are in all day...the thing is rabbits like to run - so if they think they will be bought out for cuddles after the bun has been sitting around all day - the bunny will most likely want to stretch their legs....
Perhaps you can mention that due to them eating their ceacs - they need exercise to be able to reach their bums! If they dont get exercise & get fat they cant do this and this causes health issues which cause vet expenses. Also the problem of muscle wastage which can cause problems as they grow older from not having enough room to run around.

Difficult to convince people that animals need room to be themselves....a cheaper optionis a room if they are unable to provide a proper run or supervised freerange care.

I know some people find rabbitys boring because they dont respond like a dog etc....so if they are not bunny people - the best option for them ill be to provide them with enought room at the beginning or the buns will find the people get bored of them quickly.

Hope you can help them provide enough room for the buns - then they will see how stimulated buns act when happy! :D

Totally agree with everything here :)

Back