• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm terrified he's going to die

Dont panic Steph. I really thought I would lose Babydarling. Giving him CC became so stressful. Was glad he was at the vets 4 days. Took that stress away. Although they said he was a real struggle to syringe feed.

He is a good boy but really fights against it.

The more you worry and stress the more Charlie will pick up those vibes. He probably needs to rest.

I am sending huge mega vibes for Charlie.

Please don't worry yet.

Hug to you to. xxx

I'm scared to sleep, even for 2 hours

Try and get some sleep Steph, you've done all you can do for now, you don't want to be tired tomorrow, I know it must be stresssful having a poorly bun.

I would sleep and leave him a few hours and then get up and check on him if it was me.
Also I remember after my guys neuters two of them stopped eatting, one stopped or 5days about the vet told me to give is belly a little massage, it may help things along.

Is he usally a good hay eater?
I'd also leave some pellets with him.

Realy am thinking of both of you :)

Try and get some sleep Steph, you've done all you can do for now, you don't want to be tired tomorrow, I know it must be stresssful having a poorly bun.

I would sleep and leave him a few hours and then get up and check on him if it was me.
Also I remember after my guys neuters two of them stopped eatting, one stopped or 5days about the vet told me to give is belly a little massage, it may help things along.

Is he usally a good hay eater?
I'd also leave some pellets with him.

Realy am thinking of both of you :)

But what if I wake up and he's dead :(

I've given him really gentle tummy rubs, I've left him with a pile of hay, pellets and a water bowl next to him. Milly'll eat the pellets soon though

I've been there with the not wanting to go to sleep when a bun is really poorly, but really if you've done everything you can, and given some snuggles, then it's best to get some sleep for your own health.

I've lost so much sleep over the bunnies I have now, at one point I got so worn down I kept getting ill over and over again which meant I was no use to anyone. I think the lack of sleep made my body physically unable to fight off bugs.

Sending lots of vibes for Charlie xxxxxx

But what if I wake up and he's dead :(

I've given him really gentle tummy rubs, I've left him with a pile of hay, pellets and a water bowl next to him. Milly'll eat the pellets soon though

There really is nothing more you can do now other than get some sleep. Silly Milly, but just try and offer some during the night when you check on him. If you can get him some veg tomorrow and some baby food too, it may help him eating.

First of all I know how you feel. My first bun Lopsie was put to sleep after a horrible illness late in his life. He was on recovery food but wouldn't swallow it. The smell of that food made me feel sick for years afterwards. I think it was Chong who was my first pet after that to need recovery food and making it up and feeding it to him actually made me cry. :(

What you need to remember is that every situation is different and every pet is different. But they will pick up on your mood and your stress. It's important for him that 1) you are calm and relaxed around him and 2) that you get enough sleep to take care of him and give him his meds and food. You have to look after yourself as well as him. You are doing everything right and everything you can.

Poor you Steph. It can feel so horrible when you've lost an ill bunny and then a similar situation arises; you automatically fear it's going to be the same as last time.

Did you manage to get some sleep?

Try to keep reminding yourself that even though the situation appears similar, its actually very different because he is older, you have more knowledge, and also vets' knowledge is increasing all the time too. Those are the obvious things, and if I knew the ins and outs of Mabel and this situation then likely there will be more differences too.

Not experienced enough to suggest anything, but experienced enough to say "I know how that feels!" and send hugs and sympathy.:(

We had the same thing earlier this year with Juno and she made it. She was even on a drip at the vets for a day and a night and she still made it through, even though she would only eat fresh dill and parsely for a couple of days. It was a full week before she would touch pellets again.

Our vet did suggest mixing up her favourite herbs and veggies with timothy hay so she had to dig them out, to encourage her forage reflex, and it worked pretty well.

Good luck - knowing how much they hate zantac syrup you have my sympathy!

oh Steph, I know just how you feel *hugs* ever since losing Eddie so suddenly I am just terrified every time one of the rabbits seems even slightly off colour. Especially with Lilith because she reminds me so much of him.

Just think of all the many bunnies on here who have gotten through this kind of thing.

Back