• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not buying/rescuing a bunny

If by coming on this forum you have discovered that rabbits are not for you, we have saved you and any rabbits from needing to be rehomed in the future. Thank you for dropping by and reseaching ownership first, I wish more people would do the same, to enable them to make an informed descision.

I agree. I don't think rabbits are for everyone, just as owning a tarantula is not for everyone either.

A few years ago, a work collegue said that she was going to get a rabbit for her daughter, I lent her "The Problem with Rabbits" and a few other books and gave her the link for the RWA website. After a week she came back to me and said she had decided not to get a rabbit after all. She made the right decision for her and I think she should be applauded for doing so. If more people researched the pets they wanted before getting them (rather then after), there would be less pets in rescues and in unsuitable homes.

I think its a good idea that you have concluded that rabbits are not for you. Better to found out now, than after you have one. Stop by again and have a chat

im sorry but i dont see how a few honest opinions would cause someone to change thier mind on keeping an animal unless they were alread doubtful.. and i certainly dont think telling someone theyve made the right choice before they go out buy a pet which they decide isnt for them is immature...

if you dont want responses you dont want to hear its best not to post unless you can stand up and take the advice given without blaming a forum for a decision youve come too that your not happy with, our choices are ours and ours alone with or without taking onboard what is posted in a forum....

and the thanx for contacting me line could have been thanx for the posts within threads, i think its a bit unfair to assume nasty pms were sent :shock:

I'm not saying that nasty PMs were sent... I'm just pointing out that as people were saying that none of the topics this person had posted on gave any indication of someone being mean, and the 'contact' making it sound as if this is a possibility, it ought not to be ruled out...? :? Not saying they'd be nasty, just that in terms of tone, they could have been the cause for someone feeling this way...

Certainly it's a good thing if someone is thinking about getting a rabbit, comes here and finds out that rabbits are not for them. As others have already stated, it is better to learn this prior to adopting or buying a bunny. I'm just pointing out that there is no need for people to adopt a tone (and sure, tones can be misread and stuff over the internet...) of 'you insulted us, we'll insult you now by saying you'd not be a good rabbit owner anyway'. I wasn't aware that this person had decided not to get a rabbit based on their inability to care for one... their point seems to have been that they've somehow felt attacked and now are doubting themselves? 'Course, as you've pointed out people have varying opinions and are allowed to voice them when asked for advice, but whether it is a case of an opinion being voiced strongly and taken the wrong way (it happens, and in those cases it's a simple misunderstanding ^^) or someone being insulting... who can tell?

I think some people just DO feel upset by people with the strong opinions.. especially if they vary with their own. Simply become you or anyone else would not then doubt yourself or your decisions based on faceless people on an internet forum, doesn't mean people with less confidence would not...

Again, this is simply my own opinion. I'd imagine the person starting this thread did so when upset or angry. I don't know the cause for this, but I dislike the thought of them being upset further by people coming here simply to tell them that a rabbit has had a lucky escape due to their decision... Wouldn't it be more constructive to find out why they like they've been made to feel this way and recommend further research if they still want a bunny, or simply wish them well if they don't? ^^;

Some people just seem to have responded in a friendlier way than others.

I'm not saying that nasty PMs were sent... I'm just pointing out that as people were saying that none of the topics this person had posted on gave any indication of someone being mean, and the 'contact' making it sound as if this is a possibility, it ought not to be ruled out...? :? Not saying they'd be nasty, just that in terms of tone, they could have been the cause for someone feeling this way...

Certainly it's a good thing if someone is thinking about getting a rabbit, comes here and finds out that rabbits are not for them. As others have already stated, it is better to learn this prior to adopting or buying a bunny. I'm just pointing out that there is no need for people to adopt a tone (and sure, tones can be misread and stuff over the internet...) of 'you insulted us, we'll insult you now by saying you'd not be a good rabbit owner anyway'. I wasn't aware that this person had decided not to get a rabbit based on their inability to care for one... their point seems to have been that they've somehow felt attacked and now are doubting themselves? 'Course, as you've pointed out people have varying opinions and are allowed to voice them when asked for advice, but whether it is a case of an opinion being voiced strongly and taken the wrong way (it happens, and in those cases it's a simple misunderstanding ^^) or someone being insulting... who can tell?

I think some people just DO feel upset by people with the strong opinions.. especially if they vary with their own. Simply become you or anyone else would not then doubt yourself or your decisions based on faceless people on an internet forum, doesn't mean people with less confidence would not...

Again, this is simply my own opinion. I'd imagine the person starting this thread did so when upset or angry. I don't know the cause for this, but I dislike the thought of them being upset further by people coming here simply to tell them that a rabbit has had a lucky escape due to their decision... Wouldn't it be more constructive to find out why they like they've been made to feel this way and recommend further research if they still want a bunny, or simply wish them well if they don't? ^^;

Totally agree.

I am finding this whole thread very confusing. Im not sure what point the OP was really trying to make?

If the OP has a problem with some members or vice versa it should be dealt with by PM or via admin, not dragged onto the forum.

There has been enough bad feeling on here lately without another thread igniting the fire.

'nuff said.

Last edited:
sorry you decided against a rabbit and i hope you feel this is the right decision to have made welll done for researching first as its best to know what you are letting yourself in for. if in the future your circumstances change and would suit a rabbit i hope that you will find that ru is a good helpful site with many owners who can give good advice when you really need them. good luck in whatever pet you decided to adopt or buy instead. hopefully you were put off by the work/cost/commitments and not by the peoples attitude. as we all differ in our ideas of the perfect bunny life and so we all try to do best by our own much like child care there is noexactly right or wrong (well provided the care is within the law) only better and worse! :) again good luck in your pet quest! x

sorry off topic here, but my god woman you write well.. are you in the legal industry?? if i was gonna write a letter to complain to a big company id love you to help me out :D:D:D

back on topic, i sort of understand what you mean about peeps with lack of confidence taking the written word the wrong way, but ive re-read and still not saw anything unfriendly in any of the replies on this thread so am abit confused about the whole supporting the poor attacked poster :shock::shock::shock: i guess im just not a sensative burd huh :oops::oops:

but ive re-read and still not saw anything unfriendly in any of the replies on this thread so am abit confused about the whole supporting the poor attacked poster :shock::shock::shock: i guess im just not a sensative burd huh :oops::oops:

Me too Donna, even in their post history there is nothing unfriendly or forcefully opinionated. Then again, I know Im thick skinned :lol:

Me too Donna, even in their post history there is nothing unfriendly or forcefully opinionated. Then again, I know Im thick skinned :lol:

pmsl me too...... i guess working in a blokes industry does that to ya :shock::shock::shock:

*dreams of being girly and sensitive* :D:D

pmsl me too...... i guess working in a blokes industry does that to ya :shock::shock::shock:

*dreams of being girly and sensitive* :D:D

I was informed by an ex-member of staff that Im 'too blokey' last week, I guess thats what happens when you show more interest in the mens side of the industry than the womens :roll:

will agree with Donna - great bit of writing and I agree with your points too :)

sorry off topic here, but my god woman you write well.. are you in the legal industry?? if i was gonna write a letter to complain to a big company id love you to help me out :D:D:D

back on topic, i sort of understand what you mean about peeps with lack of confidence taking the written word the wrong way, but ive re-read and still not saw anything unfriendly in any of the replies on this thread so am abit confused about the whole supporting the poor attacked poster :shock::shock::shock: i guess im just not a sensative burd huh :oops::oops:

Hehe, no. ^^; I'm writing an essay inbetween checking on here... Somehow, the word count for the essay is remaining distressingly low. :oops: As for letters of complaint, I've done them before, mwahaha. If you ever need someone to write a nice long ranting letter, give me a bell... :lol: My local council currently hates me for my complaining.

I don't want to go through this thread and pick out those posts that seemed (or felt to me) to have an unfriendly spin on them... Not only do I not want to make anyone upset/angry for picking them out, but I'm a wimp and usually shrivel away from confrontation, even via the 'net... which is at odds with posting on here at all, but ah well. I'll admit that on these sort of things that posts and messages can be read differently, by different people... I just felt some - by now means all! The majority seem to have been friendly - seemed a bit as though people were coming here and being a little unkind... That was all. :wave:

Maybe those that seemed a little unkind where reacting to their own perceptions of the 'tone' of the OPs post. It works both ways ;)

Maybe those that seemed a little unkind where reacting to their own perceptions of the 'tone' of the OPs post. It works both ways ;)

Certainly does. I guess it's another example of varying opinions being voiced? I'd be voicing my opinion, in response to theirs. After all, anyone and everyone can only respond to a situation as they understand it.

I stand by my post. The original post was very critical which is not nice. If I was saying what i wanted to I would have just said - well bog off and don't get a bunny then and stop criticising us !! Oh yeah and I guess i just did :rolleyes:

well my money's on this thread turning into an RU classic consisting of 35 pages of rhetoric :p

I'll have to stop posting soon - for a while at least - 'cos I have to write around 3,000 words and send it to a tutor before midnight. :lol: So I'll bow out and make a not so graceful exit once the alarm at having so little done sets in..

I stand by my post. The original post was very critical which is not nice. If I was saying what i wanted to I would have just said - well bog off and don't get a bunny then and stop criticising us !! Oh yeah and I guess i just did :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

So Julia are you considered blokeishly insensitive too then? :p

I'll have to stop posting soon - for a while at least - 'cos I have to write around 3,000 words and send it to a tutor before midnight. :lol: So I'll bow out and make a not so graceful exit once the alarm at having so little done sets in..

Yes I'm 'doing' a German assignment now as well :lol: Got to get it done by tonight :roll:

Back