• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ileus/Stasis HELP!

We did get him to eat some fresh grass last night and a tiny bit today, but he's still huddled in his corner, and now he won't take the grass. I think you're probably right and that it's the pain. I guess my biggest worry here is I don't know how long this should take :/ Never thought I'd say I wish my animal would be pooping more, but here I am. I've been so nervous all day as I just want this little one to pull through. I only took him out of his cage to feed him, and I held him a little after one or two of the feedings, just to try to calm him...but if he's in pain I think he'd feel better being grounded. On the plus side, I think I've discovered what part of the cage he is designating as his "litter box" so to speak. Is it necessary to have a proper box or litter inside, or is it okay for him to just use the corner. At the moment we are using Wood shavings for bedding...but I have also read that straw is really good. Any recommendations? He's an indoor bunny!

I don't like saw dust that much, I use newspaper really thick and hay which they munch on, some folk love megazorb which is a paper based litter

this is a really good article to help you understand whats going on http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

if your vets do not admit your baby bunny today you must insist that they administer an injection of fluids as well as pain relief.

he is very young to be fighting stasis for over 24 hours so really really needs some fluids to rehydrate his little tummy

loads and loads of vibes xxxxx

We did get him to eat some fresh grass last night and a tiny bit today, but he's still huddled in his corner, and now he won't take the grass.

It really sounds like his pain relief has worn off. Hopefully some more should help him feel better.

donnamt: excellent site - i've always wondered exactly what stasis was/is and how it can be detected / caused.

Bookmarked.

donnamt: excellent site - i've always wondered exactly what stasis was/is and how it can be detected / caused.

Bookmarked.

i have a copy printed off with yellow highlighted Pain relief and fluids... incase i come across a non bunny savvy vet in one of Alvins many emergancies ;)

bless you!

Alvin's a happy bun now though according to your sig!

Poor Yoshi, that must be horrible for such a young bun!:(

This might be a daft question but has wee Yoshi got access to some hay?

I have a rabbit who is prone to bouts of stasis and the first thing she normally eats after feeling better is the hay.

This can often happen to baby buns as they come from the breeder to the pet shop and then to a new home, they find the changes of diet and surroundings very upsetting.

Try and make sure he has the same food offered as he had at the pet shop (even if it was rubbish - you can gradually change it later).

Also try to hold back on too much variety in his diet at present as his tum won't be up to it (though hay is excellent).

There is unfortunately a tendency in young buns to end up with a form of enteritis and you must watch out for any poos that look like clear liquid or jelly as this is very very serious and needs IMMEDIATE vets attention.

Stasis is of course also very serious - so good luck with all the treatment.

re feeding with a syringe - to be careful that the little chap does not breathe any in (ie goes down the wrong way) as this will be very serious and cause a lung infection.

As he is so little you could ask the vet for a smaller syringe and make the feed sloppier so it will be easier in his little mouth.

Good luck at the vet

UPDATES!!!
We took Yoshi to the vet...she gave him some more injections (of course when we got home he ate some grass as I suspect the pain killers helped) and kept us on the same prescription - the stuff to help his bowels and the Fibreplex...but we were also given some Supreme Science recovery formula. My boyfriend and I are a bit confused on how much of this formula to give him. The directions say 4-5x daily feeds of 20ml/kg of weight. We think Yoshi was weighed in at .9 kg....so that means we have to give him 19ml at a time??? I find that hard to believe because we were only given 1ml syringes....I fed him approx .8ml of the food at 7:50 and was planning to give him a little bit more in like half an hour - what does everybody suggest? Anybody have any experience with this?? I don't want to feed him too much or too little :/

Also to answer a question, yes he has lots of timothy hay in his cage and fresh grass...he's much more interested in the grass though!

UPDATE 2: Yoshi has since been fed 3ml more food and we noticed two little poops...I only hope that he can continue with this even when the pain killers wear off :/

UPDATE 4: Sorry for all the updates, but I have now seen like somewhere around 20-22 different poops, some bigger and some smaller, but I'm guessing that a lot is passing now that we've given him the recovery formula. Going to continue with it tomorrow morning and then will call the vet to see what she has to say. Keep rooting for Yoshi, he's being so brave and is doing so well!

Keep up the good work. You're doing a marvellous job.
Yoshi seems to be a little fighter. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

Great to have you on the forum. That poor baby bun wouldn't have stood a chance without you.

You are doing just great. We all long to see poops. It means the gut has started up again but still needs help to keep going.:) He should start eating on his own soon:)

Please don't feel bad about the syringe feeds. You aren't hurting him, many rabbits hate having their mouths interferred with, mine included.
Even my vet gets covered herself & Thumps needs a clean up afterwards!
Remember Yoshi doesn't know you yet, so he'll be scared too.
It's stay calm & determined for us.

It's more comfortable for stasis buns to have their feeds split up to smaller 2 hourly feeds at the beginning, but jolly tough keeping it up overnight.
Always direct the nozzle across the mouth (side to side) NEVER down the back, that way they don't breath it in.

Everything crossed for you all & please keep the posts coming in.

:That is just such wonderful news taylor.alison - i wanted to come back before bed and check on the status of little Yoshi

What a little fighter!!:love:

Glad he's getting better, just have to take it slowly and he'll be fine im sure :) it's all such good progress.

You should be really proud of yourself, you've saved your little buns life today :)

Im so chuffed for you, your boyfriend and little Yoshi!

:wave:

Hey guys...woke up to a few more poops this morning, fed him 4 ml of food...but now he's starting to act the same (in the corner) and no poop. Mild clicking before and after we fed him but I'm wondering if that was just him saying he wasn't going to like what we were going to do. Supposed to call the vet this morning, going to call a little after they open and see what they say. The pet store is paying for all our vet bills related to this, so I'm going to see if I can get him in tonight again when my boyfriend is done with work. I'm still not sure how much syringe food I should be giving him at one time - 20ml seems like a TON of food...in total over last night and this morning we haven't even given him that much. Guess I'll just have to space it out. I'll ask the vet about this as well. How long after a bunny eats should he poop? Yoshi pooped like 20 something times in the course of 2 - 2.5 hours last night, but this morning after feeding he hasn't done a thing. Poor Yoshi, I just don't know whats going on. Certainly hoping he hasn't inhaled any food, sometimes I don't always squeeze it in from the side (usually when the syringe accidentally comes out and I try to get it back in quickly) but I'll try my best to keep it at that angle.

Thanks everyone for your support, and I'll keep posted regularly to get some feedback and so you know how things are going!

If he is hunched in the corner again this would indicate pain. I know I'm banging on about this but I would really ask your vet for some metacam to take home so you can self administer it. The injections wear off after time and it is very stressfull carting them to and from the vet every day.

Morning :wave:

He will start getting there, it's just a case of getting his little gut moving properly again. Just keep doing what you're doing and if the vets bills are being paid by the pet shop - make sure you get that in writing from them if you havent already.

Poor little Yoshi. He's going to need more pain meds by the sounds of things.

Let us know if/when you are taking him back to the vets and see what they say.

Just for re-assurance, Biscuit tends not to do too many poops straight after eating, occasionally he wont do any for a few hours, but then he'll go and do quite a few like you experienced yesterday :)

I think every bunny is different and im not an expert but only know from my 4 months experience so far what is normal for my bun.

Just keep at it, you're doing really well :)

Thanks so much :D I rang the vet and she said she'd like to have him in for the day so they can administer some stuff and just get some things going - so as soon as I can I'll try and get him down there. I'm waiting on either my boyfriend's dad or one of our friends. Must sound funny me saying I don't have a car or anything...but I'm doing a study abroad program and I'm living with my boyfriend at his home in the UK...I'm an American :p And I certainly don't want to take Yoshi on the bus. Our friend is checking to see if he has a car available, and if not I'll have to wait for my boyfriend's dad. Yoshi doesn't look too bad, at the minute he looks fairly relaxed but still I would feel better leaving him in with the vet for the day.
I'm sure Yoshi would be very grateful to all of you and to me - if he only knew what was good for him :p

Back