• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If Your Child 'Lost Interest' in Their Pet Rabbits.............

I was 16 when I was allowed my first pets (rabbits) and my parents took on a lot of responsibility like buying their food but I cleaned them out daily and used my paper round money to ay for vaccines and later spays. However I was already passionate about animals and had been working at a sanctuary so I wanted to clean them out and take on as much responsibility as I could. Now I have a child of my own and pets too. The rabbits are mine and OH's first and fore mostly, its us who wanted them and of course we do all the duties but my son has been helping in a small way since he was two years old (he is 4 now). If we have family pets every one takes a hand in their care. Its the same with housework. Again since he was very young (less than 2) my son has been helping to tidy. He mostly clears away his own toys but he also puts laundry in the basket and brings me dirty dishes to wash. I think its good to instil a sense of duty and responsibility from a young age.

Whilst I admire the dedication to making a point, I'm not sure I'd want to spend ten years having a daily fight to force a kid into cleaning/feeding a rabbit they lost interest in when they were nine.

I don't think not doing this means a child will then grow up irresponsible - there are a lot of opportunities to teach this, or just to role model it. After all if the parent is ultimately responsible when getting a pet for a child, they would teach responsibility just as well by demonstrating it by caring for the pet the next ten years themselves.

Whilst I admire the dedication to making a point, I'm not sure I'd want to spend ten years having a daily fight to force a kid into cleaning/feeding a rabbit they lost interest in when they were nine.

I don't think not doing this means a child will then grow up irresponsible - there are a lot of opportunities to teach this, or just to role model it. After all if the parent is ultimately responsible when getting a pet for a child, they would teach responsibility just as well by demonstrating it by caring for the pet the next ten years themselves.

But why would it be ten years having a daily fight? If you lay down the law from the start and the child realises that they are NOT going to be able to completely walk away from their responsibility, then the fight is won. Surely this is just as much a part of parenting as making them eat their greens? Parent has a request, child has a hissy fit, parent doesn't back down, child has a strop for a while but gives in when they realise parent means it!!! Maybe other people are far more lenient but that's how I was brought up and it taught me that when my parents asked me to do something, they meant it and no amount of whinging by me would make a difference. Man up and get on with it :lol:.

But why would it be ten years having a daily fight? If you lay down the law from the start and the child realises that they are NOT going to be able to completely walk away from their responsibility, then the fight is won. Surely this is just as much a part of parenting as making them eat their greens? Parent has a request, child has a hissy fit, parent doesn't back down, child has a strop for a while but gives in when they realise parent means it!!! Maybe other people are far more lenient but that's how I was brought up and it taught me that when my parents asked me to do something, they meant it and no amount of whinging by me would make a difference. Man up and get on with it :lol:.

Completely agree!!

:thumb:

Have to agree with this. My son wants to help, he has done so since two years old so I think the idea of duty and caring has been instilled from an early age and he is fine with it. If I have to put my foot down about something he knows I mean business and he backs down.

I'd be interesting to hear from those of you who'd make the child continue caring for an animal - how exactly you'd do that?

I wasn't allowed to go and meet friends, or get any treats until the pets had been fed/watered and cleaned. It worked for me. :thumb:

I would never expect a nine year old (or younger) to make a promise that would last that long. I would teach understanding of the responsibilities through family pets and first 'own' pets being hamsters since they live much shorter lives. That way they would truly understand the responsibility before I would let them take on the responsibility of a rabbit.

Back