• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideas for possibilities?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
As you know I've just got Phoebe now and she's living indoors.
I've noticed she is scratching around her mouth and ears a lot. Often stopping during something like chewing to scratch.

I'm thinking she may have dental issues or underlying ear infection but before I go to vets I'd like some ideas on any other possibilities as I'll be trying out a new vet and don't quite have that trust yet.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Has she got anything stuck in her mouth / round her teeth? She's not lived indoors before, so may have got hold of something she shouldn't.
Any sign of any injury, scabs, lumps (have a feel around with your finger tips) or unwanted small beasties (in fur or ears)?

Have you looked in her ear canals for any signs of a build up of gunk, inflammation or an offensive smell ?

Any lumps around her ear bases ?

Does she react too gentle pressure inwards on her cheeks ?

Any sign of drooling ?

Has she got anything stuck in her mouth / round her teeth? She's not lived indoors before, so may have got hold of something she shouldn't.
Any sign of any injury, scabs, lumps (have a feel around with your finger tips) or unwanted small beasties (in fur or ears)?

Shes lived indoors before. Approx 3 years, free roam. She's now in a pen in the kitchen. Only thing she's bee doing is ripping up newspaper. I can't find any signs of injury and she's still eating as normal (can't get to look in her mouth as stresses her too much)

Have you looked in her ear canals for any signs of a build up of gunk, inflammation or an offensive smell ?

Any lumps around her ear bases ?

Does she react too gentle pressure inwards on her cheeks ?

Any sign of drooling ?

No drooling and no reaction to the cheeks apart from a "what are you doing" push at me.
No lumps that I can feel but her body and skull shape is quite lumpy around the ears naturally.
They smell clean, with only a very small amount of wax visible (what i would expect to see in any ear canal to provide protection)

She did react to me looking into her left ear, but the right is the main scratching side.

Last edited:
I may be overly paranoid because it wasn't noticed that Daphne was ill until it was too late to do anything.

I'll get her a check up just to be safe and maybe some mite treatment from the vets

I think you are justified in getting her checked out. Rabbits don't normally keep scratting at their face / ears, so something is bugging her.

So we done a mite/parasite treatment and that seems to have done the trick.

We believe the stress of losing her bonded partner, and moving caused mites that are naturally on the skin to start becoming out of control.

Fast action has prevented any serious side effects.

Back