• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideal weight?

Bess&George

Warren Scout
I'm still new to this whole rabbit thing so apologies for all the questions..

How do I know how much my rabbit should weigh? When I first got my two bunnies you could really feel their ribs, it really felt like they were just skin and bones and it didn't feel nice when you stroked them. But is this how rabbits are supposed to be? They have put on some weight since, especially the doe is more curvaceous now. You can still feel her ribs just not as much.

So really just wondering how you can tell if your rabbit is putting on too much weight? They are crossbreeds so can't just follow the breed advice.
And if they are putting on too much weight what should you cut down, pellets or fresh veggies?

Thanks x

So, as your rabbits are both adults if you give them plenty of hay, about an eggcup full of pellets each and a tiny amount of veg or herbs per day, they should keep to a near perfect weight. If you run your hand along their back you should be able to feel their spine only just. If it protrudes then they are underweight and may need worming.

So, as your rabbits are both adults if you give them plenty of hay, about an eggcup full of pellets each and a tiny amount of veg or herbs per day, they should keep to a near perfect weight. If you run your hand along their back you should be able to feel their spine only just. If it protrudes then they are underweight and may need worming.

Thanks again for your response and the reassurance! Sounds like my buns were slightly underweight when they first moved in. Now all I have t o do is try and maintain their current weight!
It's such a steep learning curve for new rabbit owners, no matter how much you read in advance questions keep popping up.:oops: Fortunately there's RU!

Back