• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I want to learn from my rabbit's death - SORRY LONG

Babooshka

New Kit
Hi all,

I lost Munchie my castor rex at the end of May unexpectedly, husband and I were devastated :( There was no conclusive evidence as to what caused his passing which has added to our guilt and grief these last months....I would love to offer our home to a new bun but to be perfectly honest I am so scared that something will go wrong again. I want to share my story with you in the hope that someone may have experienced somehting similar with their bun and offer good advice for the future:

we returned from an evening out to find Munchie totally not himself: he was sitting unmoving with his nose not twitching, we could not tempt him with any of his favourite treats, and when I picked him up he felt v.odd, 'squishy' (thats the only way I can describe it), not his usual firm & taut body. We immediately took him to the vets but because it was after midnight, they had a locum on duty. She checked him over, gave him an injection but said that it did not look serious. I explained to her that this was totally out of character for him and also that his body was getting cold (I had read that this is a grave sign of danger) but she dismissed this saying he was cold 'because he had been outside in his carrier' when we took him to the vet. (Looking back on it, its unbelievable of her to have said that! :censored:) We got him home and wrapped him in linens with a hot water bottle but he was gone by morning.

My husband then complained/explained to the vets that we were less than happy with the diagnosis we had received as the locum had given us false hope that he would survive the night. It was obvious she did not really have a clue about rabbits & ignored the very obvious warning signs. Eventually, we were allowed a 1-2-1 consultation with a senior vet to discuss what may have caused his sudden death; we went over everything that happened the previous day during which he appeared fit & well & I posed multiple scenarios such as poisoning from flowers, GI stasis etc The vet did not seem to think it was stasis as Munch had been eating & drinking normally when we left him & he had attempted a little food when we returned from the vet. The only thing that came to mind was that Munchie, being a boisterous & energetic little boy, had jumped from a chair & landed a little awkwardly (the locum had noticed a slight nerve twitching on his back although, again, she dimissed this). The consultant seemed to think it was unlikely he had broken a bone as this would be obvious but suggested an internal injury. The other thing I remembered was that there was a slight smell of cigarette smoke coming from our downstairs neighbour's & could this have caused some sort of toxic reaction? Vet said we could have an autopsy performed but even then it might not give us exact answer. I was so distraught at the time & the thought of his litte body being cut open was too much, so I didnt agree to the autopsy, but now I'm sort of regretting that decision as its still playing on our minds & we might have got some answers....

I know that accidents can happen, I know that some things are out of even the best pet-owners' control, but this was a healthy young rabbit & we still feel so guilty that his death could have been prevented. Does anyone have any similar stories or recognise the symptoms above? Please help!

Many thanks for reading xx

I'm very sorry to hear about Munchie :cry: Losing a bunny so quickly can be a real shock and very hard to come to terms with.

I'm afraid I do not agree with either of the vets, from what you describe Munchie was clearly in GI stasis, however, what the underlying cause was... it rarely occurs in isolation... is impossible to tell you. Even a PM may not have been conclusive. I'm sorry I have no answers for you.

It sounds like you could offer a very loving home to a bunny in need and there are so many waiting for homes. My advice for the future would be to find yourself a far more rabbit-savy vet practice before getting another rabbit if you decide to do so. A rabbit that presents in that state at midnight should have been given an awful lot more emergency treatment than was provided, sadly this is sometimes the case with vets who are not familiar with rabbit medicine and how quickly a rabbit can deteriorate. You did your best and sought veterinary advice, don't blame yourselves, many wouldn't at midnight that's for sure!

Sorry again for your loss x

What an awful story! Poor Munchie! :cry:
I agree with PrettyLupin that he was clearly in statis and the vets who treated him obviously did not have a clue about rabbits.

I'm sorry about Munchie, I don't have any ideas on what may have caused his passing, but i know that it most certainly wasn't anything that you did, you obviously cared so much for him and you did all the right thing sin whisking him off to the vets at that time of night, so many people would have left it until the morning but you spotted something was wrong and did something about it which is as much as you can be expected to do.

It must be so frustrating with the vet not being expert in rabbits and with all the what-ifs it's not surprising you're finding it hard to get over him.

I think if you are feeling up to giving another bun a clearly loving home then you should just go for it :)

Imso sorry you lost munchie, he was obviously a much loved and well looked after bun :cry:

i agree with the others that it sounds very likely he was in stasis. This was an emergency situation and unfortunately the locum vet didnt have the right knowledge. He needed gut stimulant, fluids and pain relief. However, he may have still gone anyway, its hard to tell.

The important thing is not to blame yourselves, you did EVERYTHING you could for him. Stasis is horrible and sudden and mostly the underlying cause is never discovered :( it would be such a shame for you to be put off giving another rabbit (or 2!) a home, you sound like wonderful bunny parents with alot of love to give some lucky bun :)

I am so sorry again. I lost my beloved Tilly in january to similar circumstances. My vet is very rabbit savvy and did everything possible but unfortunately she died in my arms later that day :cry:

Huge hugs to u and ur hubby xxx

Ohh so sorry to read your story, how sad and devastating for you. Although an autopsy might have given you the cause of death, it is hard to agree to do this when you are so sad. If we had lost our little man a couple of weeks ago when he was so ill, I too wouldn't have had an autopsy done. It has scared me, Basil becoming so ill so quickly, but he is getting better now and I am becoming less paranoid. I think if you are able to give another bunny a lovely home, you will find the same, that eventually you stop worrying so much and just try to get on with enjoying your bun. Good luck in your with your search and try to stop feeling guilty (we al do it) and yet we are all trying to do the best we can for our bunnies.

I had to write to you.
Im so very sorry for your loss.Its because you need answers that you feel so rotten.
I totally agree with Prettylupin (top post).
Please dont feel bad.You did all you could.All the right things for your baby.
Why dont you put up a thread,saying where you are as Im certain other bunny mummys on here will be in your area and can suggest a bunny savvy vet.Then please take a look at the bunnies in need who are in rescue.
Crunchie didnt pass away in vain.He has left a mark on you...
Much love and stay in touch.xxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I agree with others that little Munchies death sounds very much like GI stasis, and unfortunately it can come on so very quickly. Please don't blame yourselves, you did everything you could at the time.

I noticed you are in North East London, possibly quite near me. So if perhaps in the future you feel you are ready to offer a home to another bunny, I would be happy to recommend you my Vet, and some nearby Rescues.

Please feel free to pm me.

I just want to write to you to say that you did everything in your power for Munchie, and his death is no way your fault :(

Sending you loads of hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Such a sad thread. I just want to reiterate everything that's already been said. I.e. you are obviously very caring people and somewhere in a rescue near you is a lovely bunny just waiting for you.

Dear All,

thank you all for your kind replies, its been very touching & helpful to read such sympathetic responses; it has made me feel a little better about the situation...some of the guilt has been allayed. I obviously should have joined this forum long ago to express my worries & get advice!

Re: the probable GI stasis diagnosis, I have researched it on the net but could you tell me a little more about it in layman's terms? What exactly causes it & can it happen even if the bun has been provided with correct diet?? I have read that it helps to massage the rabbit, particularly the belly, but I distinctly remember poor Munchie hiding from us & not wanting to be touched or picked up, which was another warning sign to us that something was very wrong with him :cry: (btw, thats him in my avatar, he was such a handsome boy!)

Also, I should have added that the vets we took Munch to that terrible night was not our usual practice, it was literally the closest and quickest vets we could get to which had a 24-hr emergency facility. Needless to say, I am NEVER returning there. I would really appreciate any recommendations for rabbit-savvy vets: for your info, I am located on the borders of north-east London & West Essex.

Finally, I have to let you know that after reading your replies & your encouragement, I am going to see two bunnies which someone I know is looking to re-home tomorrow! I have been waivering for a week... but I'm now going for it :)

xxx

Dear All,

thank you all for your kind replies, its been very touching & helpful to read such sympathetic responses; it has made me feel a little better about the situation...some of the guilt has been allayed. I obviously should have joined this forum long ago to express my worries & get advice!

Re: the probable GI stasis diagnosis, I have researched it on the net but could you tell me a little more about it in layman's terms? What exactly causes it & can it happen even if the bun has been provided with correct diet?? I have read that it helps to massage the rabbit, particularly the belly, but I distinctly remember poor Munchie hiding from us & not wanting to be touched or picked up, which was another warning sign to us that something was very wrong with him :cry: (btw, thats him in my avatar, he was such a handsome boy!)

Also, I should have added that the vets we took Munch to that terrible night was not our usual practice, it was literally the closest and quickest vets we could get to which had a 24-hr emergency facility. Needless to say, I am NEVER returning there. I would really appreciate any recommendations for rabbit-savvy vets: for your info, I am located on the borders of north-east London & West Essex.

Finally, I have to let you know that after reading your replies & your encouragement, I am going to see two bunnies which someone I know is looking to re-home tomorrow! I have been waivering for a week... but I'm now going for it :)xxx

Bless you,Bless you,Bless you!!!!!!!! Welcome Back!!!!!!! Munchie will be binkying in heaven when he sees you have 2 newbies.xxxx

Back