• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Smudge has eaten her Petflex "no chew" bandage

Well its passing through, so that's good news. Keep it coming Smudge !

It's not actually the bright yellow that's coming through its the green text. But when you stretch the bandage the yellow fades so I guess it's not that concentrated a colour.

Thank you I've been crumbling poops all morning, how glamorous!! There's a fair bit of bandage in there, some of the bright yellow is in the too but mostly green. It's like little clumps inside the poo so that's good she can pass them so easily!

She's been skipping about like nothing is wrong, no idea as to how much she's worried us!!

More poop watch, she is still pooping although the last batch were a little smaller than usual. Not much smaller really, but enough to notice. They are the usual colour and not dark. I also couldn't find any bandage in these when I crumbled them. It's been about 24 hours so I'm hoping its passed now?? Surely if there was any blockage we'd be seeing the usual signs of sitting hunched etc.

More poop watch, she is still pooping although the last batch were a little smaller than usual. Not much smaller really, but enough to notice. They are the usual colour and not dark. I also couldn't find any bandage in these when I crumbled them. It's been about 24 hours so I'm hoping its passed now?? Surely if there was any blockage we'd be seeing the usual signs of sitting hunched etc.

I'd be on ultra vigilant watch for another 24 hours. Is she drinking well and eating lots of hay ? Have you see her eat her cecotrophs ? Are you familiar with how a 'normal' Rabbit abdomen feels ?

I'd be on ultra vigilant watch for another 24 hours. Is she drinking well and eating lots of hay ? Have you see her eat her cecotrophs ? Are you familiar with how a 'normal' Rabbit abdomen feels ?

Yes eating and drinking all OK, I saw her eat cecotropes yesterday definitely. Not sure what a normal yummy should feel like though, it just feels like a tummy! Not too sure what to look out for there.

Seems Smudge did not see the 'no' in front of 'chew'.
Glad it is moving through.

I'm wondering the bitter taste didn't put her off because rabbits will eat some bitter things won't they? Like a really strong green bell pepper and I'm sure there are other things that can be bitter. Whereas a dog probably wouldn't so the bandage might work better for a dog?

I'm wondering the bitter taste didn't put her off because rabbits will eat some bitter things won't they? Like a really strong green bell pepper and I'm sure there are other things that can be bitter. Whereas a dog probably wouldn't so the bandage might work better for a dog?
I rember my mom using a bitter fluid to stop the toddlers from thumb sucking and some toddlers hesitated,yet soon returned to old habits.
Or how some people like spicy food while others avoid it.
May smudge soon return to larger poos

I suspect it didn't: mine eat all sorts of things that are really bitter, like rhubarb leaves (which are toxic) :roll:

Well I've been on poop watch ever since and she has nice big golden poops now, she's being such a good hay eater and is really bouncy!!

Now I know which bunny is doing which poop I know that Chewie's poops are not quite as golden, he needs to eat more hay!!

That's great news, think she's well passed the danger zone now, naughty girlie for scaring your mum ;)

Well I've been on poop watch ever since and she has nice big golden poops now, she's being such a good hay eater and is really bouncy!!

Now I know which bunny is doing which poop I know that Chewie's poops are not quite as golden, he needs to eat more hay!!

Congratulations on passing your Poo Observation Degree with first class honours :lol: I am afraid your Graduation celebrations may have to wait til this pesky Covid thing jogs on.

Congratulations on passing your Poo Observation Degree with first class honours :lol: I am afraid your Graduation celebrations may have to wait til this pesky Covid thing jogs on.

Lol thank you!! I feel like I've inspected a lot of poop lately 😁 I've spent a lot of time waiting for a rabbit to finish its eating/pooping session then analysing said poo. I wonder if anyone pays for this kind of work?!

Lol thank you!! I feel like I've inspected a lot of poop lately �� I've spent a lot of time waiting for a rabbit to finish its eating/pooping session then analysing said poo. I wonder if anyone pays for this kind of work?!

You are such a good bunny mum. It is good to know she is back to making her big golden poos.

Back