• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i think ralph is dyingU/D now at peace :'(

funny you should say that jane when i went in and told the vet what ralph was like this morning he said pneumonia very quietly but i thought he's got confused with ralphs pasturella. but he still seemed reluctant to take him in. i'm really not sure what antibiotics he gave him i suppose i should have asked but wasn't thinking. he just took another turn there. the inside of his nose is pink. he's sometimes breathing with his mouth open and i know then he's gonna take a wee turn then when comes back out of it he's fine. can't believe how quickly he went down hill, he was full of life last night.

So sorry to hear Ralph is so poorly.

Could you call the vets and ask what antibiotic he was given and see if he could go in and use the oxygen tent and receive some fluids, as he won't be eating and drinking if he can barely breath.

Fingers crossed for him.

funny you should say that jane when i went in and told the vet what ralph was like this morning he said pneumonia very quietly but i thought he's got confused with ralphs pasturella. but he still seemed reluctant to take him in. i'm really not sure what antibiotics he gave him i suppose i should have asked but wasn't thinking. he just took another turn there. the inside of his nose is pink. he's sometimes breathing with his mouth open and i know then he's gonna take a wee turn then when comes back out of it he's fine. can't believe how quickly he went down hill, he was full of life last night.

Sadly that is how it is with an acute Pneumonia

Can your Vet admit him for Oxygen therapy? He really needs to be on 100% oxygen right now.

well what are his chances if he does get put onto the oxygen? do rabbits pull through with pneumonia?

I'd imagine he would have a chance of recovering, and if anything he will be a whole lot more comfortable than he will be at this moment :(

I hope he pulls through, I really think if your vet thinks they aren't worth spending the time and money on then you need to find one that does.

my mum and dad have a nebuliser what that help him in any way and what sort of capsules would you get and where from?

When Stevie choked he had fluid on his lungs which could have caused pneumonia.

In his case he was given a steroid and put on oxygen and rec'd abx.

I KNOW that the oxygen saved Stevie's life as at one point the vet was preparing me to let go of him.

Try to force the vets to admit him for oxygen.

I wish I had pushed my vets yesterday for fluids for Jet - Now it's all in hindsight!

Although I am not a medical person it is quite simple really - without oxygen a rabbit will die.

In order for him to stand a chance he must have oxygen support while his lungs are so poorly so that he can survive long enough for the antibiotics to have an effect on his pneumonia.

His chances without oxygen are minimal :cry:

Also, he will be suffering if he is not able to oxygenate his blood. So even if the Oxygen does not save him at least it will make him feel more comfortable.
I honestly believe that getting him admitted is his best chance, but the odds are firmly stacked against him :cry:

His history of Snuffles and weightloss make Pasteurellosis very likely and sadly once the lungs are effected the prognosis is poor. When mouth breathing becomes a feature the prognosis is grave :cry:

I am not trying to make you feel even more upset but I dont see the point in not posting the facts. I really hope your Vet can get Ralph onto Oxygen ASAP and also if just Baytril was given as abx cover I would ask the Vet if he/she would be prepared to administer an injectable Penicillin too.

A bronchodilator may also be helpful aswell as a mucolytic to thin out the mucus in his lungs.

I hope you manage to get some more help for him. I hate it when vets start talking about expense when an animal clearly needs treatment.

Sending recovery vibes

Oh poor Ralph :( I hope you can get him back to the vets for some oxygen in time loads of vibes ~~~~~

hi guys thankyou all so much for your kind words. ralph has now been admitted and on oxygen. i over heard an arguement going on about that vet the seen ralph and sounds like he was having a bad day, he really should have taken ralph in straight away. they did confirm that it was pnuemonia. they said the outlook wasn't good. i'll just be sitting by the phone the rest of the night. feel so sick.

hi guys thankyou all so much for your kind words. ralph has now been admitted and on oxygen. i over heard an arguement going on about that vet the seen ralph and sounds like he was having a bad day, he really should have taken ralph in straight away. they did confirm that it was pnuemonia. they said the outlook wasn't good. i'll just be sitting by the phone the rest of the night. feel so sick.

Poor Ralph and poor you... Sending mega-vibes Ralph's way...

Fingers crossed for Ralph.

Remember - Whatever happens, happens for a reason
Please keep us updated :)

Back