• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Odin's in stasis :-( UPDATE -his eye burst!!

Vet visit this morning - still only 5.54kg (he should be 6.8-6.9 when fit, very slim and healthy but we aim for a bit more with him) but he is eating like the clappers now so hopefully that will gradually improve. Not sure if the eye is changing much, but the third eyelid is improving, now just got lube drops to help keep it healthy. He still can't decide if there is a pupillary reflex, but can't elicit it on the other side either, so I'm going to try at home tonight when he's relaxed, but he does bump into things so I'm not hopeful. For now we are carrying on with painkillers and penicillin for a few more weeks, and then will try coming off I think. Still hoping to avoid surgery, but time will tell.
He is SO happy in himself, really being his normal very cheeky very friendly self, is currently enjoying a hop around the garden and eating all the dandelions he can find! Poos are brilliant, could be a touch bigger perhaps but otherwise I'd say normal. No more syringes, he won't eat pellets dry so I mix them in a drop of water and offer them as soft balls, just so that I know he is eating them and not Freja, but he's also eating piles of fresh now, and last 2 mornings has been eating the dry forage when I get there. Ordered a stack load of new dry forage for them too.
At least if he does need surgery he'll be going from a stronger position now, eating well, hopefully with a bit of weight on by then, and happy in himself.

I hope Odin will gain some weight back. With the way he's been eating, hopefully that'll happen in time. It's so good to hear that he's so happy. :love: I hope the antibiotics will be enough and that surgery won't be necessary, but you're right, if he does end up needing surgery, at least he's in a much better place for it now. Sending lots of vibes for Odin. :love:

Sounds as though Odin is responding well to his treatment. Hopefully he will regain some weight when the infection is more under control. Great to hear how happy he is within himself now :love:

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about you bun. I haven’t read all comments but your first post & resent update. It sound like he’s doing so much better & eating. That’s really great news [emoji846]. Just wanted to send love to you & bun & hope he keeps getting better xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night we had a ridiculously cheeky boy, but he's really keen on eating dried forage, more so than the fresh now, so hopefully that means chewing is getting easier. They had 2 huge boxes of dried forage arrive today with some new things like sunflower leaves to try, as well as plantain to help his gut more than I can find fresh (he loves it dried too, probably more than fresh). I'm not feeding him in the mornings, but in the evening he keeps pestering until he's had some pellety stuff, so I just mix the ground pellets and readigrass into a damp ball and he eats it from my hand.
I keep trying to check him pupillary reflex, his pupil does change shape on it's own but I'm not sure yet whether it responds to the light cos he kept moving!!
His eye looks bigger to me but I think that's just becuse the third eyelid is retreating more and more - but that must be a good sign too? That it isn't all inflamed and swollen itself? Think I just need to be patient now. I'm not good at that!!!

Vet's again today - he's put on half a kilo!! So now up to 5.9kg, still a kilo short of optimum but heading the right way. I've stopped the pellets and they are back on their normal diet of hay/grass, fresh herbs,greens and wild forage and plenty of dried forage and he is eating like there's no tomorrow, even through the day when he wouldn't normally.
Third eyelid is a bit sore so back on isothal as he does well with that, the lube seemed to irritate him within a few mins of applying. I think he scratched it yesterday, Freja has been at him a bit the past few days so he's maybe not thinking about where he's going so well. Jury is still out on his sight, we think he is using it a bit as he tilts his head to move that eye rather than turning to look at us out the other, but time will tell. He is blinking more normally with it though, and it moves around, so fingers crossed.
Poos still small but plentiful and healthy.
Very happy in himself, I'd say normal tbh, which is the best sign right now.

That's great news that he's gained some weight! Well done, Odin. :love: I'm sorry his third eyelid is a bit sore. I'm glad he's still very happy in himself, though. That's the most important thing. :love: Sending him lots more vibes.

Bloody hell I'm shaking. Went to feed them and say goodnight and his eye was just covered with melted cheese-like pus, covering almost the whole side of his face. He is eating like never before, and acting perfectly normally other than the odd shake, so though I really wanted to call the vet I didn't think there was much they could do and it's Christmas eve. Cleaned it up as best I could, and as much as he was happy with, all the while he was chomping at a broccoli stalk. It's still weeping (if you can call it that, oozing more like) but he's very much himself, good poos, excellent eating, feels like he's relieved the pressure has gone. Gave him his loxicom and his jab, tried to put ointment in his eye but it got pushed out by the pus so abandoned that plan and just left it to drain.
Will email them the photos tomorrow and check that there is nothing else I should be doing but given how well he is in himself it feels unnecessary to bother them tonight of all nights.
Could it just drain away and disperse now? With the penicillin to help it on it's way? I didn't think that was an option!!

Oh gosh, just came in here tonight to leave some Christmas wishes and saw this. I would probably have fainted dead away myself. :(
Personally, having not read the entire thread, although I have a gist of what's been going on from reading previously, I would at least phone an out of hours to see if there's anything you need to be doing besides what you have...abscesses in bunnies are nasty things, even if he's on antibiotics for it, and it's not clear from your description if it's the eyeball itself that has popped or just the abscess. Jenna had pus-filled eyes for months and was on baytril for the infection but due to how far gone the globes already were they went ahead and enucleated both because chances of complete recovery were impossible...she also had glaucoma and cataracts so there was more than just infection going on. I bring it up because even though she's a dog, it was horrible to see how painful the eyes were for her even with her infection partially under control.

I've had a rabbit with a suspected retrobulbar abscess before and I fear that the lack of treatment was part of what contributed to his passing eventually. (My vet refused to keep him on long term abx despite it helping him.) I know it's Christmas Eve but I'd still want a professional opinion...even if you're not going to take him in.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along to give better advice, but that's all I can think of. :(
Sending vibes for Odin that he'll be okay. xxxxx

Is he pus coming from the nasolacrimal duct ?

If so then it is likely the abscess is in the duct itself, not behind the eye. Until you can speak with the Vet I would continue to bathe the eye with cooled boiled water and try to encourage the pus to keep draining. Gentle pressure around the duct with a warm compress should do this. You don’t want the drainage route to clog up as that will just allow the abscess to fill up again.

Abscess can refill as Jane said, yet he sounds like he will be fine if you keep it clean until you see vet. Though you may want to ask about keeping Odin away from Freja or getting her abx for cover since infection oozing. Sending vibes for all.

Sending loads of vibes for Odin, glad he's presenting as ok in himself. He's a very lucky bun being in your care xx

Sending Odin and you lots of vibes. I agree, I would keep them separate for now. Hope you manage to cope well, are you on your own?

Sorry for the late update - we sent photos of last night and this morning to the vet but they are happy for him just to carry on, keep it as clean as possible, not worried about Freja, and as long as he is still well in himself they will be in touch to sort an appointment when they re-open :)
He's still very happy, finally eating at his proper sonic speed and eating anything offered.

Oh, gosh, that must've been such a shock! I'm glad Odin is still happy and is eating so well and is apparently not bothered by it. Hopefully he'll stay comfortable until you can get him seen by the vet. I'm glad they're happy for him to just carry on like this for now. Sending Odin lots of vibes. :love:

Back