• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I suspect a urinary tract infection

It is the worst feeling in the world when you have to battle with a vet, and just know that something is wrong. I totally know this feeling. You just have to know that you are doing all that you personally can, I think.

It is the worst feeling in the world when you have to battle with a vet, and just know that something is wrong. I totally know this feeling. You just have to know that you are doing all that you personally can, I think.

It feels so heavy, it hurts. I know he's sick but I'm watching, I can't do anything. I can't prove anything. It hurts so much

Really sorry that you and Cookie are going through this, I really don't know what to suggest, but sending Cookie many vibes, and you a big
hug xxx

Really sorry that you and Cookie are going through this, I really don't know what to suggest, but sending Cookie many vibes, and you a big
hug xxx

Thank you so much, it feels good to know that I'm not alone

First of all, Cookie's X-rays are clean, no bladder sludge was visible.

I'm crying with anger now, I don't know what to do, I'm about to go crazy, please someone help me.
Vet knows nothing, says Cookie is healthy. The vet is so ignorant that she doesn't know anything about rabbit behaviour.

- I say Cookie's butt is wet, the vet says "that's normal because rabbits are dirty, they always pee under it".

-I say but cookie wasn't like that, he was very clean. The vet says to me that his behavior may have changed it's normal he has decided to be so dirty now.

- I say rabbits' behavior change is also a sign of illness, this is not normal. The vet tells me don't come by Google, do you know better than me.

- Then I said rabbits' bottoms are never wet and rabbits are as clean as cats. If a rabbit is dirty it means something is wrong. The vet told me that rabbits are dirty animals that even eat their poop, they are not clean, it's normal for it to be pee and bad smelly.

I did not argue with her, because she is really ignorant, whatever I say is useless. And there is no higher veterinarian in Turkey now, this is the rabbit vet in Turkey, I can't take him abroad for treatment, what should I do? She also stopped taking his medication, although Cookie's respiratory tract infection and pee problem continued. She said he's only taking diuretics today and tomorrow, but don't go on antibiotics. I'm exhausted now, I've been crying for hours.

I can't get this out of my mind today, I'm devastated when I remember this dialogue. I am so desperate :cry: :cry: :cry:

"that rabbits are dirty animals that even eat their poop" Especially this sentence made me very sad, a veterinarian said that rabbits are disgustingly dirty

Where I live it is common for professionals to become defensive when their expertise is challenged by a person who did not complete the requirements of their profession. I am not saying they are right to be mean or rude. IME they accept things more when it is from another expert in their field. Ultimately it is their license and decision.
What happened to you was awful and I wish I knew how to help.
In one of your posts it seemed like you were concerned treatment by a different vet would kill cookie. Is that because they do not have clients with rabbits?
I hope you can get urine sample and vet can diagnose cookie's pee issue.

Last edited:
Where I live it is common for professionals to become defensive when their expertise is challenged by a person who did not complete the requirements of their profession. I am not saying they are right to be mean or rude. IME they accept things more when it is from another expert in their field. Ultimately it is their license and decision.
What happened to you was awful and I wish I knew how to help.
In one of your posts it seemed like you were concerned treatment by a different vet would kill cookie. Is that because they do not have clients with rabbits?
I hope you can get urine sample and vet can diagnose cookie's pee issue.

Yes, other vets don't know anything about rabbits, there's a lot of wrong medication, wrong treatment. At least this vet knows safe medicine for rabbits and knows their doses. That's all she knows anyway, other than that she has zero knowledge of rabbit behavior.

Also, unfortunately, this situation is also related to the personality of the Turks. No one in Turkey says "I don't know", this has even been the subject of stand-up shows. If you ask someone in Turkey for directions, no one will say they don't know, even though they don't know. I say this as a psychology degree, Turks are a nation closed to criticism and never apologize. Here telling someone that they got something wrong is perceived as an attack on them. So telling someone this here is terrible for them, because everybody thinks they know everything. However, this idea is far from reality. But this feature of the Turks tired me so much that I don't usually answer anymore, I say I don't know everything or there is no comment. I also do not have the opportunity to argue with this vet, because I cannot go to another vet. So I have to be patient with this silly like everything else.

Jane I hope you see this. I have no other choice now, would you consider treating Cookie? How can we treat this butt wetness?

I know you're not a vet, it's a huge responsibility. But now you are more knowledgeable than veterinarians in Turkey. And they don't cure Cookie, if it goes on like this my son will get urine scalding. Can you help us?

Last edited:
Can you get a urine sample to take to the vets? I feel like if a sample can be tested this will be more straightforward. Also I'd be complaining to whoever is above your vet, their employer, for the way they've handled this tbh. But Idk if over there anyone would care? Over here things are very different. Sending hugs, this is really ****** xx

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Can you get a urine sample to take to the vets? I feel like if a sample can be tested this will be more straightforward. Also I'd be complaining to whoever is above your vet, their employer, for the way they've handled this tbh. But Idk if over there anyone would care? Over here things are very different. Sending hugs, this is really ****** xx

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Vet refuses to accept home urine sample, I will try to get a urine test at the vet today. Also, this veterinarian is already the highest level person, she is the owner of the clinic.

If it was really possible I would like to send Cookie to one of the forum members for treatment. If only that were possible, at least he would be cured there maybe a few weeks. I'm so desperate, I'm stuck. :cry: :cry:

Jane I hope you see this. I have no other choice now, would you consider treating Cookie? How can we treat this butt wetness?

I know you're not a vet, it's a huge responsibility. But now you are more knowledgeable than veterinarians in Turkey. And they don't cure Cookie, if it goes on like this my son will get urine scalding. Can you help us?

First I would want to establish if he does have a UTI. So urine testing. If a dipstick test shows evidence of infection then sending a sample to a Vet Lab for Microscopic Testing, cultures and sensitivities. This would identify the exact bacteria involved and the best antibiotic to treat it with. Some bacteria can be resistant to some antibiotics.

When he had antibiotics for the previous UTI did the symptoms resolve ? I think you said the course of treatment was just 5 days which is seldom long enough. Repeated short courses of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance. So identifying the bacteria involved, the best antibiotic to treat it with and treating it for long enough, at least 10 days usually, is likely to bring about the most successful outcome.

I can’t advise you about drugs to give as 1 - I am not qualified to do so and 2_ to obtain them legally you need a Vet to prescribe them. Buying drugs from dubious online sites comes with huge risks. Yes, you can buy some prescription Vet Meds online without a prescription. Illegal and extremely dangerous. You would never know for sure if what you are buying really is what it claims to be.

I realise it is hard, I don’t have a problem with my Vet having a bad attitude, but I sure do with a GP for my own health problems. I too resent being spoken to as if I am an idiot, patronised and dismissed as being ‘inferior’. But I have found that meeting their obnoxious attitude with aggression just makes things worse. Professionals like that need their egos massaged. So we have to get our point across in a more subtle way, dropping in huge compliments about them as we go and NEVER mentioning Google !!

In other words try to come across as very passive, weep rather than yell.

If Cookie does not have a UTI then further investigations would be needed to establish why he is leaking wee

I would definitely change his litter tray set up. It would mean lots of washing, but just a towel could be used for a few days with hay in a rack of some sort. Even better would be some Vetbed, this draws fluid into the base, the surface remaining dry. That would mean he won’t sit on a damp area and you will then see if he really is leaking wee or if it was caused by sitting in it.

There are a few possible causes for leaking wee. Bladder sludge has been ruled out so getting the wee tested for infection would be the next sensible step. If he does have a bladder infection that can cause inflammation so as well as an antibiotic a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Meloxicam would be useful.

Last edited:
First I would want to establish if he does have a UTI. So urine testing. If a dipstick test shows evidence of infection then sending a sample to a Vet Lab for Microscopic Testing, cultures and sensitivities. This would identify the exact bacteria involved and the best antibiotic to treat it with. Some bacteria can be resistant to some antibiotics.

When he had antibiotics for the previous UTI did the symptoms resolve ? I think you said the course of treatment was just 5 days which is seldom long enough. Repeated short courses of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistance. So identifying the bacteria involved, the best antibiotic to treat it with and treating it for long enough, at least 10 days usually, is likely to bring about the most successful outcome.

I can’t advise you about drugs to give as 1 - I am not qualified to do so and 2_ to obtain them legally you need a Vet to prescribe them. Buying drugs from dubious online sites comes with huge risks. Yes, you can buy some prescription Vet Meds online without a prescription. Illegal and extremely dangerous. You would never know for sure if what you are buying really is what it claims to be.

I realise it is hard, I don’t have a problem with my Vet having a bad attitude, but I sure do with a GP for my own health problems. I too resent being spoken to as if I am an idiot, patronised and dismissed as being ‘inferior’. But I have found that meeting their obnoxious attitude with aggression just makes things worse. Professionals like that need their egos massaged. So we have to get our point across in a more subtle way, dropping in huge compliments about them as we go and NEVER mentioning Google !!

In other words try to come across as very passive, weep rather than yell.

If Cookie does not have a UTI then further investigations would be needed to establish why he is leaking wee

I would definitely change his litter tray set up. It would mean lots of washing, but just a towel could be used for a few days with hay in a rack of some sort. Even better would be some Vetbed, this draws fluid into the base, the surface remaining dry. That would mean he won’t sit on a damp area and you will then see if he really is leaking wee or if it was caused by sitting in it.

There are a few possible causes for leaking wee. Bladder sludge has been ruled out so getting the wee tested for infection would be the next sensible step. If he does have a bladder infection that can cause inflammation so as well as an antibiotic a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Meloxicam would be useful.

I will try to give a urine test today. But the vet does not believe that short antibiotic use causes antibiotic resistance. That's why she's constantly giving short-use antibiotics. Her vet ego is so high, I'm really patient and watching her ignorance.

20 days ago took 3 days of antibiotics for urinary tract infection. And he got a little better. Now he used antibiotics for 5 days for respiratory tract infection, vet said that this antibiotic will cure both diseases, name is Bactrim. Now his complaints continue to increase and the vet does nothing.

I looked at what you call Vetbed, it is not sold in Turkey again. :( Cookie chews the towels a lot, towel may not be a good option for us. So you're not suggesting that I put the hay in the litter tray? Should I put the hay in a separate box and put it next to the litter tray? Several people on the forum suggested this so I'm thinking of doing it.

Frankly I don't believe this is about hay, I understand from his behavior that my son is sick. I think his butt wetness is related to this as he recently had a urinary tract infection.d Do you think I'm right to think that?

Jane, and Cookie hasn't been comfortable for weeks. He never sleeps cleopatra or flop. He always looks uncomfortable. The vet also refuses to give painkillers, no painkillers at home either. :( :(

I've been waiting at the vet for 1.5 hours. Cookie will have a urine test, I'm waiting for him to pee.

The vet took a urine sample today, results will be out in 1 week.

I had another crisis at the vet, The vet got mad at me for not feeding Cookie mixed packet food. The vet got mad at me for feeding Cookie only hay, pellets, vegetables. She asked why I didn't give mixed packet food and said it was wrong. LIKE A JOKE :roll: Can you believe a vet would say that? :|

The vet took a urine sample today, results will be out in 1 week.

I had another crisis at the vet, The vet got mad at me for not feeding Cookie mixed packet food. The vet got mad at me for feeding Cookie only hay, pellets, vegetables. She asked why I didn't give mixed packet food and said it was wrong. LIKE A JOKE :roll: Can you believe a vet would say that? :|

I guess it depends on the training that they've had sadly.

It's taking a long time for the message about meusli mixes being 'bad' to get out in the UK. There are more pellet options now, but hay is still seen as an extra rather than the main part of the diet by many. It doesn't help that pet stores here mostly have rabbits in pens full of woodshavings, big bowls of meusli and a water bottle - so that's what people assume is 'right'. And then there are the tiny hutches that are sold everywhere - so again, people assume that is what is ok to use.

If Turkey doesn't have many pet rabbits, the old ways are going to take time to change. Carry on with what you know is a better way, and others may follow.

I guess it depends on the training that they've had sadly.

It's taking a long time for the message about meusli mixes being 'bad' to get out in the UK. There are more pellet options now, but hay is still seen as an extra rather than the main part of the diet by many. It doesn't help that pet stores here mostly have rabbits in pens full of woodshavings, big bowls of meusli and a water bottle - so that's what people assume is 'right'. And then there are the tiny hutches that are sold everywhere - so again, people assume that is what is ok to use.

If Turkey doesn't have many pet rabbits, the old ways are going to take time to change. Carry on with what you know is a better way, and others may follow.

We really need to go a long way as a country to progress in rabbits. Here most of what is known about rabbits is wrong. :|

Thank Allah, I have great news. I think I solved Cookie's wet butt problem, the only reason is because of the brand dog pad I don't know. Normally I used another brand of dog pad, but when I couldn't find it, I urgently bought a new dog pad. Yesterday I went through all the possibilities again and did a detailed research, at that moment I realized that the absorbency of this new dog pad is very bad. I bought the dog pad that I use normally, by wandering all the streets. New hay + using his usual dog pad all Cookie's butt wet problem is gone. Yesterday I also gave him a butt bath for the last time, and now he's back to normal. Now his butt is dry and clean, he smells so good. :) Also Cookie wasn't comfortable at all, wouldn't lie on the floor. The only reason for this is the wetness of the butt again. When Cookie's bottom is now clean and dry, it's immediately back to normal, cheerful, lying and happy :) Cookie was unhappy and uncomfortable because her butt was dirty, my sweet boy. :(
I'm so glad it's getting better, I hope it stays like this.Thank Allah, elhamdülillah, mashallah. :)

Back