• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I regret getting pet shop buns...

its two little lives, that is never anything to regret, it doesn't matter where they come from so much as they are happy with you:love::love::love:

i got sebastian from p@h but i never even thought you could rescue rabbits, i sort of rescued sebby because he'd been there scince before christmas and had been put in the "adoption section"

Don't beat yourself up over it. They have a good life and "forever home" with you and you can't alter the past.

I have a friend who has been asked to take her pet rabbit into the primary/junior school where she works as an example for a "caring for animals" and "animal biology" class.

In additions to insisting that she remain in the class room to supervise she has also insisted that the class must sit quietly, treat the animal with respect and has arranged for a secure area for her. "Shouting and grabbing = removal of rabbit".

She is fully prepared for the "Oooh, cute rabbit - want one" arguments with the messages about the commitments required from the parents and children and the number of abandoned animals in rescues.

The following message is already prepared:

"If you have a pet without thinking carefully, you might lose interest in the life of one rabbit - a rabbit only has one life to lose".

Please don't regret having Rum and Raisin! All bunnies need a loving home, pet shop bunnies too.

Timmy and Pickle were bought from a pet shop. I can't regret it though, as without them I wouldn't have learnt as much as I have done about bunnies, or become so interested in rabbit welfare issues. They have really opened my eyes to the care they need and the existence of rabbit rescues. Even if the most I can do at any time is to "spread the word" about rescues and adopting buns, then it has been worth it. In the future I will definitely offer a home to rescue bunnies, but I love Timmy and Pickle to bits, wouldn't be without them!:love:

Still doesn't stop my heart from breaking every time I see rabbits in a pet shop, wondering what sort of home they will end up in :cry:

My current bunny is a rescue, although he came with advise for no neutering and wasnt vaccinated, and I was advised not to bond bunnies. My previous bunnies were pet shop bunnies, and I dont regret any of them. They were all spoilt rotten and had good lives and my current bunny was clearly a well looked after rehomed bun (he's never been badly treated, looks more like spoilt but kid lost interest, parents didnt want to have to look after him). I got most of my bunny info from a local pet shop, one that sells pets. When I wanted a guinea pig (before I realised you could rescue them) I got 3 from that pet shop. I was advised the food they were on, to give plenty of hay, check over for mites etc regularly. They even gave me leaflets on care. I wanted a cage for them aswell, and they explained the size requirements and showed me what they had. Ive been back since for advice on a piggy that wasnt eating properly, they gave me free critical care stuff and advised veggie baby food to help him eat it. Theyre a wonderful shop, and although from now on I will only rescue, if you're going to buy from a shop, at least this one only lets adults buy and not without a thorough grilling and detailed care info.

Splodge is my first bunny and she was from a pet shop. I don't regret getting her at all cos she sparked my complete and utter obsession with rabbits and I have gone on to rehome another 3 rabbits from rescues starting with Splodge's husband Scrumpie Jack. She also made me find this forum when I decided I better learn about her needs. If I hadn't got her I wouldn't have adopted another 3 rescues!

You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Rum & Raisin are so lovely and you are a responsible owner!!! You should be proud that they have such a great life!

All bunnies deserve a good home at the end of the day.

Look at it this way, if you didn't have rum and raisin they could of ended up in terrible conditions and they made of ended up in a rescue.

You just prevented all of that happening :)

My first 2 bunsters were pet shops buns. Me and squishy had an amazing bond and I never regretted buying her from pets at home. She always had a few health problems and she spent her 3 years with me getting looked after :)
Wheras Nibbles, well, if she'd been tbought by someone who didn't care for bunnies as well as they should, then she wouldve ended up in rescue I can guarentee. Little demonic bunny!!! :lol:

Must...save...every...bun...

:(

I know. This is how I feel.

Pie came from a show breeder in Kent and my last 3 buns were all from pet shops. One of which lived until she was 11 (she was a French lop).
And, like others I didnt even think of a rescue bun until I came here. :(:oops:
But I am going to get Pie a husbun when I move in afew months so will go to a rescue for that.

But w1ll pretty much hit the nail on the head: All rabbits deserve a loving home, no matter where they came from.

If I'd been more informed I would have got two rescue rabbits instead of two from PAH. Our local PAH's seem to look after their animals pretty well, but in buying from a shop (it was sister's present to my children actually), I feel we have perpetuated the breeding babies for profit cycle that inevitably results in so many unwanted rabbits.

Plus, if I'd got a pair from a rescue that were already long-term bonded, I wouldn't now have two psycho rabbits, who much as I love them, cannot be trusted together without scrapping like mad.

I get a bit depressed when I look at other forums and find people talking about breeding for profit, even though I have obviously contributed to that.

Last edited:
I sometimes think that about Ralph, but then I think imagine what kind of life little Ralphy would have had if I had not got him.

And I got Ralphy by default.. he was from a pet shop originally bought by my best friend, who then emmigrated and left me with him!

Then Ruby was from a breeder, but she was the runt and they wanted to get rid of her. They didn't even charge me for her.

Then Buzz I saw on gumtree or freeads or something in my area "free to a good home" and felt like I had to go and pick him up. None of them are technically "rescue" but they are all buns who might have ended up in rescue had I not intervened...

both my buns are petshop buns and i dont regret getting them at all.

in future i will adopt though :)

if you didnt get rum and raisin they probaby would have ended up a childs pet in a small hutch forgotten about at the bottom of a garden living in their own poo etc.

I never regret getting Radish because I love her soo much :love: and I dread to think who else might have picked her and what awful set up she might have ended up in. :(

Instead she is a spoilt bunny who enjoys sitting on the sofa :) I am getting a rescue bun as a friend for her and I think all my buns going forward will definitely be rescue buns.

i went to the local garden centre to get some tropical fish food and came out with eric:oops: he was sooooo tiny and being head humped by a much bigger bunny. he was terrified and he just didn't look 'right'.

a good few hundred quid in vets bills and 12 months+ down the line and he's flaked out happily beside me now.

i don't regret a second of it:D who knows what would have happened if he'd been sold to someone who didn't manage or bother to find a good vet and have the will to get him well like i did......

Amber was a pet shop bun. I had full intentions of getting a rescue bun and had my eye on Jill's Cole for AGES :D but when i was finally ready he disapeared (i wasn't a forum member at that stage).

I went into the pet shop one day and there she was and i HAD to have her!

Ollie was a rescue bun for FF's and i'm chuffed i could give him a nice home. I wouldn't buy from a pet shop etc again:oops:

just remembered, i looked at the rspca website ages ago and a bun on there stole my heart. he had a deformed leg which twisted outwards but he could get around fine. he was a beigy-brown coloured lop and i think he was at walsall-when i read about him tho it seemed that they only rehomed in the area. if only i knew then what i knew now as i'm not too far from walsall.....

he had the name hoppy too - gorgeous he was. i wonder what became of him?

(sorry, pointless post but he just suddenly sprung to mind:oops:)

Well while we're confessing, I got my designer buns from a breeder - a nice breeder but still a breeder. I also wish I had rescued, however here's how I see it......

Those rabbits - yours or mine, would prob have gone to someone who wouldn't care for them as much. They may (and from statistics prob would have) been stuck in too small a hutch at the bottom of someones garden and we're assuming that they would have been picked together and not singularly. I feel like I rescued mine from a life in a very small hutch, alone in some breeders shed and not getting out a fraction of what mine do.

You've prob saved them from some childs sticky hands, grabbing them and striking the fear of God into them at every point and turn!! All rabbits deserve a loving home - make up by spoiling yours rotten. DON'T GIVE THEM AWAY!!!!!!

I trust you shall reflect on this and feel better!! :lol:

oops i just read back what i wrote :oops: it was rushed at work.. what i meant wasnt i regret my pair, i love them more than the world... but i do really regret falling for the rabbit species as i know i will never be rabbitless.

i just almost had a panic attack to come home because im yet again convinced something iffy is going on with alvin when hes acting totally normally, my mom came over with me to make sure he was ok :oops:

Back