• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just fell in love in p@h Coventry

I remember falling for a bun in P@H I was out of town, in bracknell and saw the most gorgeous giant bun with funny lop- sided uppy ears just binkying around in circles in his/her encloser. I stood and watched him for ages, but knew I could not take him home :cry: I often wonder where he is now

Yes but not many people of the general public are as well educated in rabbits as the members of RU are. .

but members of RU who are fully aware of the rescue situation still buy animals or go to PAH..and it is like a kick in the teeth to all the rescues whos' threads they come on and say " oh I don't know how you keep going with all you have to deal with "..then post about a rabbit they " had to" buy from a shop

and we used to be partnered with a branch of PAH when the manageress there was someone who had same feelings for animals as us and did her best to control what happened to the store ones..but she left...so we did too

A brand new huge branch opened up only a couple of miles from us almost 2 years ago..we were asked to partner with it...we thought about it..then refused. Their "adoption" section is mainly old stock and we have dealt with several people who have adopted "healthy" rabbits from them who have supposedly been checked by a vet..and have turned out to have health probs which have cost them a lot of money..and I mean health probs they had on day of adoption, not ones that developed later

We, like most other decent rescues, are turning away so many animals as we have no room..in 6 weeks during the summer we had to turn away almost 140 :cry:
ANYONE knowing the pet situation and who cares about the future for these poor little creatures , would NEVER consider supporting a store which is part of this disgusting trade that leads to the deaths of so many.
Sadly is is not about an individual animal in an individual shop..it has to be about the whole overbreeding problem.

Last edited:
Aww bless, hope someone can get the bun. :(

People say don't adopt it because it will just be replaced so you're not helping the situation. Yes that's true but no matter what, that rabbit IS going to get adopted anyway. Whether by someone on here or someone else. It is STILL going to go to someone. Do you think that if someone on here doesn't get it then it will stay there forever stopping other buns from going there? That's not true. It's still going to find a home!!!! :? Surely its better for the poor bun to go to someone on here who would care for it properly. Yes the chain would go on but that's what will happen anyway.

I know its a sad fact that this chain will carry on, infact its awful but sooner or later that bun will get replaced anyway. That one bun that someone caring takes won't save them all but it will certainly save that one rabbit.

I hate how people on here make a caring forum member seem like they're doing the wrong thing. There's nothing wrong in caring. :(

No I don't think it's better because the one that fills its place may not get adopted by an informed carer because there aren't enough good carers to take all the bunnies that need helping. Just like every day we get asked to take more and more rabbits and so you could argue at least people are seeking rescues for their rabbits instead of letting them go or giving them away to idiots, but there aren't enough good rescue spaces.

Unless people stop buying and supporting animals in shops, IT WILL NOT STOP.

The only way it will stop is if people that believe that animals, rabbits in this case should not be bred freely. Those who have strong opinions should voice them so that the wider public know exactly what is going on - many don't. So I'll ask all of you that think that it's okay to buy or adopt from PatH because the rabbits all deserve homes, what are you doing personally to make a stand and to stop the endless overproduction of animals for sale? What are you doing to help educate those who don't know what a commitment rabbits are? What are you personally doing to stop shops from selling pets? What are you doing to pick up the pieces?

I have not personally written to Pets at Home because I'm fed up trying to speak out, and because I spend my whole time trying to educate the end user instead. I spend all my hours doing it, I give up stuff in order to do so. I therefore I actually think I have a right to be upset when people don't think it makes a difference by adopting from a rescue or someone that is giving up their rabbit for free, rather than making shops like Pets at Home who have 'adoption centres' look like they are helping welfare. I'm sorry they are not, they are the biggest reason I have unwanted rabbits being given up around here and until people actually stop supporting them, many many more rabbits will suffer.

Every rabbit deserves a good home, but there aren't enough good homes so the ones in rescue have to get the first chance - otherwise the rabbits given up by the people who bought on impulse etc, will have nowhere to send them when they get fed up and so they suffer too.

All I can say is each and every bunny is deserving of a loving home. Just because they aren't living in a rescue does not mean they are any less deserving.

Barely anyone buys from the small pet shop down the road from me. Yet every so often I will see the small animal pens rammed full with guinea pigs and rabbits. More recently including giants.

All I can say is each and every bunny is deserving of a loving home. Just because they aren't living in a rescue does not mean they are any less deserving.

Barely anyone buys from the small pet shop down the road from me. Yet every so often I will see the small animal pens rammed full with guinea pigs and rabbits. More recently including giants.

and it's great that hardly anyone buys them..with luck, if they hardly sell any..they will stop stocking live animals as it won't be worth their while

and it's great that hardly anyone buys them..with luck, if they hardly sell any..they will stop stocking live animals as it won't be worth their while

I haven't bought an animal from there since Momo 3 years ago. If anything I think I think they have increased their animal intake since then...

Do you believe dogs, cats, ferrets etc should be put down?
I don't think it is ethical to kill animals just to keep one pet alive. I'm happy for there to be working dogs such as guide dogs but apparently dogs can be veggie anyway. I'm not a fan of dogs- noise, jumping up at you when you are out for a walk, attacking children... I'm sure a lot is down to the owner, but that's just my opinion.

So, you don't think those animals are worthy of life because they eat meat? What about wild animals? Dogs shouldn't be veggie even though some people believe they can be, they won't die but doesn't mean it's healthy. Rabbits can survive without hay... Is that okay?

I'm going to ignore your stereotypical opinion on dogs...

By the way, do you know how many lives the RSPCA save by feeding foxes, badgers etc chicks and other meats? The one I volunteered for wet through 100's of chicks a day. These animals are probably in this situation because of humans impacting their environment. If you eaKt eggs (you said you weren't vegan) then you support male chicks being killed.

Basically you're saying it's only okay for an animal that needs meat to survive I they are doing something useful for society. I don't know about you but pets make my life worth it, I love my aunts dog, he's been in my life for 7 years, I think the joy he brings, and the joy other dogs bring to they owners, makes them worthy of their "blood mouth" ways.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I'm on my phone.

Last edited:
Puppies r no longer available in pet shops but the rescues r still full of unwanted and abandoned dogs :( I think the key is education. People should be fully aware of what they r taking on before they do so less r abandoned or badly bred and/or cared for leading to early death and easy replacement. Personally,and im probably going to open a whole other can of worms now, but no rescues would accept me as none of my rabbits r vaccinated. This is a personal choice and i don't want to start a debate on the rights and wrongs of this. My rabbits r loved no less than urs. But because of this, in looking for a friend for Heidi, I will consider another PAH adoption rabbit if I happen to c one that I like. I am hoping to take my friends boy off her hands but if not I am also not going to feel bad if I end up giving a good home to a garden centre bunny. I don't disagree with what people r saying but there r many problems in this world that that will take bigger influences to solve. Perhaps someone should start a petition and present it to the government to make changes?

As Mill said, 'Nature is red in tooth and claw'. I don't like it that in nature animals kill and eat each other. I don't like that by being alive we are killing and harming other beings. I have total respect for Jains, but we have to draw the line somewhere. I do not support rescues of animals that eat animals. I am, however, happy to disagree with others, I think everyone is entitled to make their own, informed opinion. I don't eat eggs.
Anyhow- the important thing, wherever you get you rabbits from is that you take good care of them. If someone really falls in love with a rabbit in a pet shop, although it wouldn't be a good idea to buy it, if they did buy it, they could always take it to a rescue centre to find a bun to bond it with. We shouldn't be making people feel bad about their decisions- it is the pet shops that should be targeted.

As Mill said, 'Nature is red in tooth and claw'. I don't like it that in nature animals kill and eat each other. I don't like that by being alive we are killing and harming other beings. I have total respect for Jains, but we have to draw the line somewhere. I do not support rescues of animals that eat animals. I am, however, happy to disagree with others, I think everyone is entitled to make their own, informed opinion. I don't eat eggs.
Anyhow- the important thing, wherever you get you rabbits from is that you take good care of them. If someone really falls in love with a rabbit in a pet shop, although it wouldn't be a good idea to buy it, if they did buy it, they could always take it to a rescue centre to find a bun to bond it with. We shouldn't be making people feel bad about their decisions- it is the pet shops that should be targeted.

So basically, all animals that eat meat (in a captive setting) should be destroyed? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

There's no need to breed any more.

I agree with you to some extent, they shouldnt be bred at the rate they are, there should be limitations. But I don't think we should let dogs and cats (and other meat eaters) die out altogether, and like you said, working dogs are important, and while there are working dogs there will always be an excess, dogs who can't make the training. While they are still alive they need meat, and it's unethical to put an animal down because of what it eats.

Organisms die. That's life. You cannot determine what is worthy of life based on its diet. That makes you worse than the people that eat meat.

Last edited:
You cannot determine what is worthy of life based on its diet. That makes you worse than the people that eat meat.

How does it? Please explain. If you determine cats and dogs are worthy of life, at the same time you would have to breed many, many animals just to kill them to keep the cats and dogs alive. You would be deciding those animals should just be brought into the world and killed for the benefit of another. Surely, that makes you much worse than a Jain or a vegan.
It is selfish of us to keep animals as pets at all, but if you're going to do it, I see no reason to kill other animals to keep your pets alive.
I will always stick up for the poor animals that are bred and killed just to keep pets alive.

Errrm so you suggest 'Killing' All the Caniverous animals so Only Herbivores can live.

Ok flaw
1: As a Vegan how can you suggest Murdering ANY animal because of its diet?

2: to wipe out all the Carnivores would mean that their is no animal to 'cull' the weaker and Sickly Herbivores;
which will then breed and the Herbivores would then become weaker and more suseptable to Desease and die off anyway..

3:To play god and decide who should live and Die because of their diets, and then claim your a vegan 'because you dont believe in cruelty to animals'
just makes your whole 'theory' Obselete'
:?

I think every animal is worthy of life, but it is hypocritical to let an animal die because of what they eat. How is that okay? Nature is cruel, in a perfect world nothing would die, but the world will never be perfect. Things have to die. If nothing predates upon a rabbit population, tht population would exceed the carrying capacity of that habitat and they would starve.
Instead of condemning meat eaters to death essentially, you should help those who are ethical in their farming practices.

You want to help street children, maybe if you and others didn't help them they may die due to any reason related to them being on the street, the less people in the world, the less habitats have to be destroyed to support them. Also, they are probably going to eat meat, they are poor street kids, they can't be picky.

You cannot change how the world works.

Fo' real?

yao-meme.png

I've been dying to ask this for ages, and whilst the original thread was not at all related to this, it is coming round to it.

I'm wondering, with regards to killing many animals for one animal, does that also include things like worming and defleaing and demiting? To me, some of the things that are said about being vegan and suchlike, it sounds like people wouldn't kill worms, mites or fleas if their animal had them, because they are as worthy as any other living thing? Is that the case?

Back