• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a question about my new bunny<3

ok,
so my boyfriend and I just got a bunny. we got her at a younger age, and have had her for about a month now. she has free roam of our bedroom and walk in closet, and sometimes the hallway in our apartment. we got her a very large cage (which i call her room so she doesnt think badly about it) and give her everything we can think of that she needs.

so my question is: she keeps peeing on our bed! she will go all day without peeing on it and then she randomly jumps up and will pee like 3 times in 5 seconds on our blankets. im not sure if she is doing it on purpose, or marking her territory (even though its not hers) or if she is just not that smart(which i doubt). i love her very much and it has been hard on me to have to put her in her room everytime she pees on the bed, but i thought it would help...and it hasnt. is she doing this for a reason? is there anything i can do about it? i cant keep her off my bed unless she is in her room locked up or not in our bedroom which is the area she is used to.

please help! i want to be the best new mommy for her ever!!! but im so confused as to what to do.

thanks!!
Jessica

I have the same problem with Mooch, he never peed anywhere he shouldnt the whole time he was an outdoor rabbit, but once I moved him indoors a while back he started peeing on my bed and on me!

People on this site suggested I confine Mooch to a small area for a while to make him favour somewhere else as a place to pee. He is now successfully litter trained when he is out, but I haven't tried him on my bed since as it is too much hassle changing the sheets each time! lol. I also don't sit him on my knee like I used to, I hold him up instead....he doesnt pee on me this way. I don't know how to completely stop this behaviour I'm afraid, it drives me crazy with Mooch. I can be giving him cuddles and he will suddenly pee :? yet when he is running about he will go back to his cage to pee or use his litter tray.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help

I would say she is either scent marking or nervous and that combined with her age is likely to be the cause. She isn't being naughty as she can't have the knowledge of how in-convenient it is for you. Personally I would confine her to her own area and litter train her first, this involves time and patience and I would be inclined to use a waterproof covering like lino as a flooring for her. I picked up a 6x4' piece for about £18.00. When she goes to the toilet outside of the litter tray use kitchen roll to absorb the wee and squeeze it into the litter tray, wear gloves if it's a bit icky for you. If you perservere with this and the poo's eventually she will learn, another tip is to watch for her selecting a corner herself and put the litter tray there. When I litter trained my little buck I also 'rewarded' him everytime I saw he had used the litter tray with a little bit of rich tea biscuit. You may feel mean containing her but, it's only like training a puppy she will learn not to do it. I don't pick my buns up so am not likely to be wee'd on but, I think sometimes weeing when picked up is nerves or a full bladder and being pressed on. I find it better to sit on the floor or wait for them to jump on me. Best of luck be patient and don't expect it to happen overnight all of sudden it seems to click, I think aswell in training it's fine to just change the litter tray every other day that way she can clearly smell where she is supposed to go and always put a small piece of soiled litter into the clean one. Your on a good forum and hopefully some others might give you some good ideas or suggestions x

I know where you're coming from, my bunny wees on my sofa but as he's only allowed on there when I'm around (he's in a run when I'm not there) I can watch for tell-tale signs - usually he tries to 'dig' with his front paws before he wees - I gently shoo him into his cage or towards his littertray & I give him a treat if he uses his tray instead of my sofa.
He loves dandelion roots & pellets as treats :lol:

The main thing to remember is not to tell her off if she wees as stress can make the situation worse.
You could also try covering your bed with towels in case of accidents & use a waterproof mattress protector, maybe over the top of your bed rather than using it on the mattress - to protect your sheets/covers etc.
It works for me on my sofa anyway & makes the mess a lot easier to clean up :)

I know where you're coming from, my bunny wees on my sofa but as he's only allowed on there when I'm around (he's in a run when I'm not there) I can watch for tell-tale signs - usually he tries to 'dig' with his front paws before he wees - I gently shoo him into his cage or towards his littertray & I give him a treat if he uses his tray instead of my sofa.
He loves dandelion roots & pellets as treats :lol:

The main thing to remember is not to tell her off if she wees as stress can make the situation worse.
You could also try covering your bed with towels in case of accidents & use a waterproof mattress protector, maybe over the top of your bed rather than using it on the mattress - to protect your sheets/covers etc.
It works for me on my sofa anyway & makes the mess a lot easier to clean up :)

:lol::lol::lol: Far more suitable treat, unfortunately mine don't see these as a treat because they have them anyway :roll: I had to feed a bit of something different so rich tea but, only a piece the size of a 5p no more than a quarter of biscuit ;) :lol:

Back