• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a dilemma....U/D Family pictures on page 11 and need a name help!!

I agree with the majority on here, and would try to get them asap, as seems as though both mum and her baby are in danger anyway. I wonder what you'll find when you get there?

hya i might get shot down for this but last year i had to take a doe with 2 6hr babies cuz owner was goin cull them.(wrong colours:evil:)anyway,i got one of those carriers where the top comes off and filled it with her bedding and placed them with mum in the carrier n covered with a black sheet until i got them home.i put the bottom half of the carrier in an indoor cage and left it like that.she settled and the babies both survived.no wonder dog is goin crazy if its his crate.:roll:x

Theo,
I'm sure you'll make the right decision based on the circumstances when you get there. The lady might have a dog free area that they can stay in but I think she will just want to offload them on you anyway. :roll:

Good Luck

Maria xx

I can't believe that this ridiculous woman won't let you at LEAST borrow the crate for a week or two just until the mum and babies settle. I don't know why she has them in the FIRST place if she doesn't know or care any more about them than this. :evil: :evil: That poor bun must be TERRIFIED with a big dog like that barking at her all of the time.....and if it is the dog's crate, then the whole crate must be REEKING of the scent of dog - talk about 'sleeping with the enemy'! :cry: :cry: I would definately opt to get them out of there ASAP. If she really won't relent on letting you at least borrow the crate, I would take a dark carrier and try to scoop the baby and as much bedding / nest up as possible all in one go, then put mum in and cover it and leave them to themselves as much as possible for a few days in a quiet place.

The sheer stupidity of people astounds me sometimes. :evil: :evil: :evil:

:roll:Oh crikey!!, it's getting worse, the lady has now told me that the mummy and the baby aren't in the dog crate they are in a big hutch in the garden and it's the dogs garden, I asked how big the hutch is and was told 3 foot:shock::shock:, that's where the baby was born and both the mummy and the daddy lived, but I can't have the hutch either!!

I asked about the dog crate and that's where she put the daddy bunny when I told her they should be seperated but not until he'd made the mummy bunny pregnant again.

I think she was at the back of the queue when the brains were dished out!!:shock::shock::roll::roll::roll:

I'm still trying to get her to let me go over and I dread to think what I am going to find

Tell her you have asked for advice from the RSPCA about moving mum and baby and they have said she as to be moved in the hutch otherwise the baby will die and if you had a problem then they would send a inspector round take them. It may work if she is that thick:D

I'd say you'll only take them if you can have the hutch? What's she gonna do with a hutch anyway - other than fill it back up with rabbits :? See if you can bluff til she changes her mind.

I would take two carriers. Move the whole nest and baby in one and the mum in another - I'm presuming they are fairly close. Keep an eye on how the mum reacts when you put her back in with the baby. If there is any issues you could take the baby out and then latch it on to mum a couple of times a day to feed - odds of handrearing successfully go up much higher if you've got mums milk to feed even if she's not in there. I think though if you take the whole nest you may get away with it and mum will continue to feed. She'll be quite experienced by now and if obviously used to stressful situations.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will ring her in the morning and see if I can get over to her, I am really worried about moving the mummy and the baby, it's about an hours journey to my house, I just hope the lady lets me have them and they travel Ok

Will keep you all updated

OMG Theo!!! I have only just seen this and am completely and utterly shocked and disgusted, both at the ignorance and simple stupidity of the woman and at Pets at Home for taking "stock" from a random person and urging them to continue :evil: :evil: :evil:

I agree that you should try to take them whatever, and see if you could possibly take the hutch too, at least that might for the moment deter her from getting more :roll:

Poor poor bunnies :cry: I think it is worth the risk, you have experience with babies and mothers and they have every chance with you :) Like others have said, it will be very sad if the babe doesn't make it, but if it does it will end up in a far better place than had it stayed there and gone to P@H :censored: and mummy can be spayed :)

Good luck xxx

Good luck ! I agree that you should risk it. At least the mummy bunny will be safe and away from that dog and its stupid owner. If she's pregnant again, she's probably quite exhausted and will need a quiet place. Fingers crossed that the little baby survives, but I am quite sure that the car ride and a change of nest won't be worse than what it has at the moment. How old was Luna when you took her from that ebay seller? She travelled all the way to Twickenham, and she was ok.

OMG Theo!!! I have only just seen this and am completely and utterly shocked and disgusted, both at the ignorance and simple stupidity of the woman and at Pets at Home for taking "stock" from a random person and urging them to continue :evil: :evil: :evil:

I agree that you should try to take them whatever, and see if you could possibly take the hutch too, at least that might for the moment deter her from getting more :roll:

Poor poor bunnies :cry: I think it is worth the risk, you have experience with babies and mothers and they have every chance with you :) Like others have said, it will be very sad if the babe doesn't make it, but if it does it will end up in a far better place than had it stayed there and gone to P@H :censored: and mummy can be spayed :)

Good luck xxx

I know, it's heart breaking, I really can't believe this woman, she really didn;t get it that you put a male and female together and you get babies!!:shock:,

Good luck ! I agree that you should risk it. At least the mummy bunny will be safe and away from that dog and its stupid owner. If she's pregnant again, she's probably quite exhausted and will need a quiet place. Fingers crossed that the little baby survives, but I am quite sure that the car ride and a change of nest won't be worse than what it has at the moment. How old was Luna when you took her from that ebay seller? She travelled all the way to Twickenham, and she was ok.

Actually Gisela you are right, I had forgotten just how young they were!!
reminding me of that has made my decision for me, I will call her in the morning and arrange to go and collect them

Only just seen this :shock:
Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Some people are so stupid.

Last edited:
I hope you manage to get them out off there and also out of that 3ft hutch. Best of luck and i would for certain take the risk on moving them

When I collected Verity and her babies they were about 4 days old, they travelled from Burton, to Nottingham and then to Leicester in 1 day. However I was lucky enough to have them in the cat basket that she had nested in.
I think it's better to take them away from the dog and the owner:cry: If you are worried about the travelling is there anyone nearer that could foster them until the baby is older so the journey isn't so long?
Fingers crossed that everything goes okay.

When I collected Verity and her babies they were about 4 days old, they travelled from Burton, to Nottingham and then to Leicester in 1 day. However I was lucky enough to have them in the cat basket that she had nested in.
I think it's better to take them away from the dog and the owner:cry: If you are worried about the travelling is there anyone nearer that could foster them until the baby is older so the journey isn't so long?
Fingers crossed that everything goes okay.

Nobody closer and its about an hour from me but Bavarian Bunny has reminded me that I moved 19 last year from a similar situation and they went on a longer journey and the babies were OK, so I think I have to take the risk.

Only just seen this cant believe what I have read silly woman:evil:
good luck with everythig Theo, definitely for the best getting them out of such a miserable existance poor things.
Sallyx

Back