• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a big problem.

Simpson210

New Kit
:cry: My mum and her boyfriend say that they do not want rabbits in the house. But I have been trying my best to convince them for the past 2 months, And my mum finally went to the pet shop to buy one plus a meter long cage (not enough, I knew, but my mum didn't allow any bigger), a few toys, some hay and some pellets.

But since my mum wants animals, She tried to make a deal and say I can have a rabbit but it needs to stay outside. And since if tried everything in my power to convince her to keep it inside, insects, noise, predators, chemicals, I've shown her videos, articles, forums, everything.

But then I asked ger to give me 3 reasons to keep it inside and she said because it had a smell, Because it wouldn't be happy, And because it wouldn't have room (I would keep the cage in my room and let her out to play whenever I'm home). I told her that rabbit's don't smell if you take good care of them and they are much happier inside as long as they have space. All the electric cords in my room are quite high up on my desk and i would put a towel on my floor so she won't slide.

But of EVERYTHING I do, Nobody understands me and everyone thinks they need to be kept inside.

What can I do? :cry:

Rabbits can be happy outside in some places but I don't know a lot about Israel so I'm not sure what to advise in terms of indoor or outdoor housing.

Rabbits do need a lot of space though, they can't really be kept in a small cage for any amount of time. Maybe you could rabbit proof your bedroom so it could have free range?

Plus, you really should have 2 rabbits because they're very social. But rabbits typically need to be neutered before you can bond them. Do you have a rabbit savvy vet in the area who has experience with neutering?

Where I live in israel there are very warm summers and very cold winters with snow.

If my mum said I could keep it in my room, I would rabbit proof it and only keep it in it's cage when I'm asleep or at school and it would always be let out whenever I'm home.

My mum said she doesn't want to get it fixed because it would cost alot of money, and she said a pair might not be good.

I just really want it to stay inside so I can always keep an eye on it 24 / 7 if it's in my room, I can't be outside all the time.

A 1m long cage is really not enough to keep a Rabbit in at any time. When you are at school or sleeping is quite a few hours.

If you can Rabbit proof your bedroom and just have the cage as a base which is always open then that could work.

That us a good idea. I would leave it open at all times but I want to supervise it whenever it gets and out and I also don't want it to jump on me in the middle of the nightl

It doesn't sound like a suitable place for a bunny. Could you have a hamster instead, then when you are older with your own home, you can have a couple of rabbits. Quite a few have hamsters on the Forum and they are very cute.

well, its just ridiculous to try to persuade parents to house your rabbits, indoors or outdoors. you have no idea of the damage rabbits can cause. for me and for at least one other, the cost of repair and replacement has been/will be over £1000. do not do it. wait until its your own house and your own money - please!

It doesn't sound like her (his?) mom doesn't want rabbits though. It's just they disagree on whether to keep them indoors or outdoors. Rabbits CAN be kept indoors with little damage, it just takes some planning. Many rabbits aren't even destructive at all. My rabbits haven't destroyed much but my cats and dogs have caused so much damage. I'd never persuade people not to get cats and dogs though. Personally I think the damage is worth it. You take the good with the bad, it's all a part of having animals. And there's usually a way of properly accommodating the animals and keeping damage to a minimum, you just have to find the right ways to do it.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like damage is the issue. Her mom just believes rabbits are happier outside.

I don't see anything wrong with persuading parents into getting animals. I have animal loving parents who I've persuaded into getting animals, and sometimes we've disagreed on whether to keep certain animals indoors or outdoors. so I understand.

The only issues here I think is that it's not really ideal to not get it neutered and bonded to another rabbit. especially if it were kept outdoors - it would be even more lonely then. And if kept indoors it'll need to be allowed to free range pretty much 24/7. I assume you're at school for about 8 hrs a day and you probably sleep about 8 hrs a day too so 16 hrs in a small cage is far too long unfortunately. But I'm sure you can work out how to rabbit proof your room so that the rabbit can be allowed to free range even when you're not around.

As for persuading, she might change her mind once you actually have the rabbit and she sees that it doesn't smell and isn't unhappy indoors and that you can free range it instead of using a cage. E.g. you could take it indoors for some playtime and she might see all the pros to having it indoors, like how friendly it is, how fun it is to watch and how much more space it will have free ranging indoors than it would have in presumably a hutch and run outdoors.

I adopted two beautiful rabbits and had them both neutered/spayed. I bought them a fairly decent outdoor set up and was ok with them being outside.

However, I had to bring them in due to foxes. IT has been a nightmare. They are in my bedroom which means either they are shut in the cage (too small but simply not possible to have a bigger one) or I have to remember to shut the bedroom door. At first it was ok till Milo figured out how to get on the bed and wee all over it. So then I had to remember to block the bed off as well - fine but as someone who suffers from migraines laying down on my own bed means shutting up the rabbits = guilt I can't ever just walk in to my room and put stuff on the floor or sort washing out or do work or yoga (ok that barely happened before I got the rabbits but you get the idea). They are completely adorable but need attention and stimulation much of the time. they love it when I do anything in the room and have to be involved, eventually when you are going to work or in a rush it can get difficult not to have a specific big enough place for them be to keep them safe. Constantly remembering to shut the door for the next ten years is going to drive me bats.

At the moment I am taking them to holiday boarder for 4 days in an attempt to properly clean and sort out my room/house to figure how to house them. I am at my wits end.

A hamster on the other hand, adorable comparatively easy to house - especially in a bedroom and very easy to tame!

Well, if an animal is subject to discord within members of a family, don't take any it will suffer psychologically if not treated equitably by all members. I see forthcoming problems for the rabbit in this context

I have 1 bunny. She's a house rabbit. I've had her since birth. Although they are social animals and ideally they should be in pairs or groups, she's a pampered little princess and every vet we have seen has commented on how friendly / beautiful / loved / happy she is.

She's always been an indoor bunny and has a free reign of the house only going in her cage to sleep and when we aren't in.

She gets changed every other day and I get lemon scented bedding which doesn't smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think its a good idea you decided to get a hamster.Hamsters are lovely pets,i have one and they can get very tame.Your hamster wont get lonely when youre at school or asleep at night and need less space of course than rabbits.

Back