• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I give in.

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Just been shopping (to Tesco, Matalan, and Pets at Home). Had a really enjoyable shopping trip in fact.

Got home to almost run over a darned cat on the drive, I did recognise it but it's not a local one - don't know who owns the dratted thing but it's been around before.

Whilst my bacon was frying, I decided to check on the girls because of said cat, don't know why, something just told me to.

Thumper was up the furthest corner in the shed, shaking like a leaf. I fussed her a little which she seemed to like, then offered her a treat because of the nasty cat but she refused it - bad sign! She had been absolutely 100% perfectly fine this morning, nothing wrong whatsoever. So I popped back in, turned down the heat (!) and measured out some pain relief, administered that along with about 3 or 4ml of water, and let her go. She didn't like either so shot off like a bullet into the run once I'd let her go.

I'll check her in 2 hours, give her time to calm down and for the pain meds to kick in. Hopefully she'll be okay. she was rough only about 8 or 9 days ago - ended up at the emergency vet at almost 11pm, and again just about 3 days after that (but one dose of metacam sorted her out at home then) and now this again. That's 3 times in less than 10 days. Even that's OTT for Thumper. I just hope she again gets over whatever set her off today with just the one dose of metacam. *sighs

Sadly not, Zoobec, but thank you for your thoughts xx

I've just checked her hoping that 1.5hrs later she'd be fine. She's not. She's lying in the hay in the run, still shaking, eyes half shut.

We're off to the vet in an hour (4.45) so you never know, by then she may have snapped out of it - but if not, at least we have a vet appointment all booked in.

I've just checked her hoping that 1.5hrs later she'd be fine. She's not. She's lying in the hay in the run, still shaking, eyes half shut.

We're off to the vet in an hour (4.45) so you never know, by then she may have snapped out of it - but if not, at least we have a vet appointment all booked in.

Oh no :cry: sending lots of vibes for her xx

Oh Angie I'm so sorry! You're going to be absolutely exhausted yourselves.

Loads of vibes for Thumper, she's a sensitive soul xx

I had to go out and just come in.

First thing I thought about was you and Thumper ...

How is she doing?

Thinking of you and hoping Thumper is doing better now. Poor bub.

Sending ((((((hugs))))) your way, Angie. xxxxx

Thank you, everyone xx

There aren't anymore diagnostics to be done, Jane, as they've already been done in the past. Filip did check her eyes this time (as always, though) and then swiftly went to Coco and checked hers (I always take them both) - but explained after that he thought Thumper looked jaundiced in the eyes but decided she wasn't as Coco looked the same and is in perfect health and temper; it's just their colouring.

As I caught Thumper (too easily, I might add) to take her to the vet, she did a poo, so that was a good sign.

Extra pain relief and emeprid given, plus temp taken which was slightly low again at 34.?. Advised to give Recovery and oral tepid water at home, but to bring them indoors as it's gone cooler here at the moment and of course easier to keep an eye on bunnies overnight.

Anyway, an update.

Thumper is finally showing signs of improvement! She is moving about more and eating hay, so hurrah at last. She's had a total of 10ml Recovery and 3ml water since we got back from the vet at around 5pm, which hopefully along with the meds has done the trick this time. I'm not writing off the emergency vet for another 30 minutes though, which will be 9.30pm.

Paws crossed!

Thank you! xx

Just checked her again before I jump in the bath (little point in that if I needed to go out!). However, she is now happily munching away on the dried herbs I've just dished out for them, quite bright, so I'm calling off the emergency vet, phew!

Filip will be chuffed as he's quite taken with our bunnies, I think he's quite fond of them and he was very worried about Thumper being so lethargic so suddenly today. In fact, he specifically asked me to ring him tomorrow with an update. He's so lovely :love: (and a bit of a dish! :shock: :lol: )

So I can have a nice relaxing bath knowing she'll be fine :thumb:.

Bloody rabbits :lol:.

Thank you, yes she's a right one, that's for sure.

I think I know now what set her off.

I thought it was a cat prowling around, I was half right.

Our next door neighbour knocked on the door after I got back from the vet as there was a very injured pigeon in his back garden, adjacent to ours on the side. Basically it appears that a cat has had it (possibly the one I nearly ran over when I came home from shopping). Long story short, another neighbour was called in to have a look at it/pick it up to take to the vet (I didn't answer the door as I was giving Thumper her Recovery and water at the time) (next door neighbour doesn't like birds so wouldn't touch it) but Martin, extra neighbour, had to dispatch it there and then as it was in a very sorry state :cry: ruddy cats, but that's another topic.

I reckon that Thumper got distressed over the commotion that would have happened with pigeon v cat and that's what set her off. Had to be - probably thought she was next, dumb animal. Coco couldn't give a hoot, didn't bother her at all. Thumper however is a true snowflake, as my son said. A complete and utter snowflake, stupid rabbit and made herself ill.

Anyway, at least I can ring the vet with good news tomorrow, and of course relax now myself tonight. And if I see that cat in the garden again ... :censored:

Thank you, yes she's a right one, that's for sure.

I think I know now what set her off.

I thought it was a cat prowling around, I was half right.

Our next door neighbour knocked on the door after I got back from the vet as there was a very injured pigeon in his back garden, adjacent to ours on the side. Basically it appears that a cat has had it (possibly the one I nearly ran over when I came home from shopping). Long story short, another neighbour was called in to have a look at it/pick it up to take to the vet (I didn't answer the door as I was giving Thumper her Recovery and water at the time) (next door neighbour doesn't like birds so wouldn't touch it) but Martin, extra neighbour, had to dispatch it there and then as it was in a very sorry state :cry: ruddy cats, but that's another topic.

I reckon that Thumper got distressed over the commotion that would have happened with pigeon v cat and that's what set her off. Had to be - probably thought she was next, dumb animal. Coco couldn't give a hoot, didn't bother her at all. Thumper however is a true snowflake, as my son said. A complete and utter snowflake, stupid rabbit and made herself ill.

Anyway, at least I can ring the vet with good news tomorrow, and of course relax now myself tonight. And if I see that cat in the garden again ... :censored:

So glad all is well Angie :D

Back