• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can haz cleen toez

What's HLD? Her vet reckons he fell awkwardly at some point

I'm not sure what the infection is. He's on baytril.
I think my friend said it's some form of bactrial infection that's affecting the pigmantation? She couldn't remember the name when I asked though.

HLD is hind leg degeneration. It happens when rats get old. It's a normal part of the aging process a bit like when human bodies start wearing out. Being on Baytril long term sounds like a bit a of cop out to me. I've never heard of a rat infection affecting pigmentaion before.

HLD is hind leg degeneration. It happens when rats get old. It's a normal part of the aging process a bit like when human bodies start wearing out. Being on Baytril long term sounds like a bit a of cop out to me. I've never heard of a rat infection affecting pigmentaion before.

No, I hadn't either. I'm not sure what it is, I was gonna research it all for her but I'm not sure where to start. Basically he had patches on him that looked like tiny cuts, which the vet said was pigmentation. Also his eyes get really red and his tail got red patches on it

No, I hadn't either. I'm not sure what it is, I was gonna research it all for her but I'm not sure where to start. Basically he had patches on him that looked like tiny cuts, which the vet said was pigmentation. Also his eyes get really red and his tail got red patches on it

That sounds more parasitic than bacterial. I would have tried ivermec first. Baytril is a pretty poor ab for rats to be honest. It would have made more sense if a culture had been done to find it what the bacterium was that she suspected and then an appropriate ab prescribed. The eyes may have got red due to excess porphyrin either due to the parasites or the parasites were due to suppressed immune system possibly because of grieving hence the porphyrin around the eyes. Bit of chicken and egg going on I think.

That sounds more parasitic than bacterial. I would have tried ivermec first. Baytril is a pretty poor ab for rats to be honest. It would have made more sense if a culture had been done to find it what the bacterium was that she suspected and then an appropriate ab prescribed. The eyes may have got red due to excess porphyrin either due to the parasites or the parasites were due to suppressed immune system possibly because of grieving hence the porphyrin around the eyes. Bit of chicken and egg going on I think.

I think he has a checkup in a week or two so I'll tell her to ask to try ivermec. not really gonna do any harm to try a second AB I don't think! Will just need to remember to tell her :lol:

I think he has a checkup in a week or two so I'll tell her to ask to try ivermec. not really gonna do any harm to try a second AB I don't think! Will just need to remember to tell her :lol:

I think a 3 week course of ivermec would be better than swapping to another antibiotic straight away. Does he have scabs now? Scabs from mites tend to be most dense around the neck and shoulders but they can be elsewhere. I have dealt with motes recently which just resulted in clumps of fur falling out so it can look different. Rat mites are different to bunny mtes too as they are a lot smaller so are easily missed if a microscope isn't used.

I think a 3 week course of ivermec would be better than swapping to another antibiotic straight away. Does he have scabs now? Scabs from mites tend to be most dense around the neck and shoulders but they can be elsewhere. I have dealt with motes recently which just resulted in clumps of fur falling out so it can look different. Rat mites are different to bunny mtes too as they are a lot smaller so are easily missed if a microscope isn't used.

He has no scabs but does have bits of red pigmentation on his tail :?
Would you mind if I PM'd you when my friend was back from holiday? Obviously she can be more exact about how he has been as I don't see him that often :)
I think she'd appreciate the advice as her vets just keep saying there's nothing more to be done

You must mean rabbits here surely :lol:. I take in rats with severe behaviour problems caused by hormones or mistreatment and I've not been bitten or scratched in months. I do have 2 very sore and bruised boobs where a bunny bit me 3 times because she didn't want to be put in a carrier at the weekend :lol:

:lol: Yeah i was talking about wabbits! Did my post not make sense? :oops: My brain no longer functions properly at this time of night!

Back