• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am not bonding with adoptepd rabbit

Oh dear NO puppy pads for Toast!

I use them in the boxes under the litter (well do for my boy) and soon as she saw it she began nibbling, as well as the painter's drop cloth at the bottom of her cage. I can only use hay and plain brown paper as she chews everything.

I use the recycled newpaper litter (it's pelleted), and she nibbles that as well!

So I must be very careful what I have around her. I know curiosity killed the cat but I worry it might wreak havoc with this girls tummy!

I caught her chewing the bottom of her pen a little while ago, any surface not covered by hay is fair game. She'd LOVE to be out doors in a pasture where everything was fair game to eat!

As things have started off on the wrong foot with them, I think better safe than sorry as far as the bedroom is concerned. Personally, I would mist the carpet and walls where the cage was with a white-vinegar and water mix. Doesn't have to be a lot of vinegar, just enough to cover the smell of any dropped bedding and make the room smell different to her. Windows open for a few hours will get rid of the vinegar smell.

I'd put a tarp down and some newspaper and hay on top inside the pen, as you'll want to protect your carpet from the wee. No litter trays or hay racks and make sure to scatter the hay and use a neutral water bowl (or two if you think they'll get possessive over it).

Make sure you prepare yourself too - stock-pile some food and drink and have something to do when it hopefully gets quieter. Lots of people like to keep a camera and laptop/phone handy so they can update with videos/photos etc and ask for advice on certain behaviours without bonding being interrupted. You'll want to have someone like a partner or a friend available too, so you can have a break from it for showers, cooking etc.

Last edited:
All three of my buns eat everything in sight. :lol: They are fine as indoor buns, although it means having to be extra careful about what is in their room. I also can't pen mine because Fiver is obsessed with bar biting. :roll:

Let us know how it goes when you decide to try and bond them. Do you think chatting to the rescue is in order? Perhaps you can explain that they need to longer to bond, and could they extend the time when you lose your adoption fee for her?

I had let the rescue know we were thinking of taking her back. They got the woman who was taking care of her to contact me and she didn't think it sounded like a promising match either and says the rabbit IS a bit of as queen...as in very much liking things her own way. She said she had another like that and she kept them in side by side pens but it took a year for them to bond.

That is simply not practical given my living situation.

The contract is solid. 30 days or I pay the "estimated liquidated damages" fee. ($250)

I told her all the things we've done so far and she said that is what she would have done as well.

I told her that I had read about that other method here but I think at this point (my boyfriend is rather peeved with the rescue and their demands/restrictions as well) that we will take her back. Perhaps try with another bun a bit later and I WILL use the method you have introduced me to here. It makes so much more sense to me.

My boyfriend and I are not sure if we should try with another bond or not. We want what is best for the rabbits to be sure, and I do feel discouraged after this. I don't want to put our, or another rabbit through this if I can't do it right.

Due to my living situation and my boyfriend's schedule now that his busy season has started, I don't think I could arrange to have someone on hand to "spell" me during an intense bond. I literally live in the middle of nowhere, at a natural wonder so there aren't friends and neighbors handy etc. And I certainly don't want to mess up another bond.

I thought I had done my research prior, I read the articles they gave me and the sites they sent me to, but I wish I had found this site BEFORE we got the girl.

I had let the rescue know we were thinking of taking her back. They got the woman who was taking care of her to contact me and she didn't think it sounded like a promising match either and says the rabbit IS a bit of as queen...as in very much liking things her own way. She said she had another like that and she kept them in side by side pens but it took a year for them to bond.

That is simply not practical given my living situation.

The contract is solid. 30 days or I pay the "estimated liquidated damages" fee. ($250)

I told her all the things we've done so far and she said that is what she would have done as well.

I told her that I had read about that other method here but I think at this point (my boyfriend is rather peeved with the rescue and their demands/restrictions as well) that we will take her back. Perhaps try with another bun a bit later and I WILL use the method you have introduced me to here. It makes so much more sense to me.

My boyfriend and I are not sure if we should try with another bond or not. We want what is best for the rabbits to be sure, and I do feel discouraged after this. I don't want to put our, or another rabbit through this if I can't do it right.

Due to my living situation and my boyfriend's schedule now that his busy season has started, I don't think I could arrange to have someone on hand to "spell" me during an intense bond. I literally live in the middle of nowhere, at a natural wonder so there aren't friends and neighbors handy etc. And I certainly don't want to mess up another bond.

I thought I had done my research prior, I read the articles they gave me and the sites they sent me to, but I wish I had found this site BEFORE we got the girl.

I can understand your decision, although it is a sad outcome for you and the rabbits.

I would certainly try another bond, your boy will definitely benefit from another bun at some point. I would suggest not using this rescue again if at all possible, I understand if they are the only rescue in the area. It is a shame that the rescue seems so "possessive" of the rabbits in their care. No bond is EVER the same, so you can't possibly just say one method will work for all rabbits. That's ridiculous.

I do hope that you decide to try another bond again. Maybe give your boy a few weeks to settle back into his usual routine, and then search for another bun. If you do, make sure to come back on here and let us know how it gets on. We are all here to give out advice and help anybody. Bonding can be scary, but usually if they don't have a full blown fight within a day or two of being together, they will bond without much of a problem.

I can understand your decision, although it is a sad outcome for you and the rabbits.

I would certainly try another bond, your boy will definitely benefit from another bun at some point. I would suggest not using this rescue again if at all possible, I understand if they are the only rescue in the area. It is a shame that the rescue seems so "possessive" of the rabbits in their care. No bond is EVER the same, so you can't possibly just say one method will work for all rabbits. That's ridiculous.

I do hope that you decide to try another bond again. Maybe give your boy a few weeks to settle back into his usual routine, and then search for another bun. If you do, make sure to come back on here and let us know how it gets on. We are all here to give out advice and help anybody. Bonding can be scary, but usually if they don't have a full blown fight within a day or two of being together, they will bond without much of a problem.

this.

I'm glad the lady at the rescue was willing to listen :)

I deffo think it sounds as though your boy will really love some bunny love one day, but give him a bit of time.
It is a shame that you have such constraints by the rescue.

Heartbroke

I went for my afternoon walk and when I came home my boy was sitting a little ways away from her pen watching her. He has done this alot.

He then went near and as it was "greens" time I got two handfuls and gave each a handful. They munched away not too far from one another. He went over near her pen and tried to sniff through the bars. She wouldn't look at him, but wasn't moving away from her greens...

So when they finished eating I motioned him over the the hall where they've been having their "dates" and he went right in. So I picked her up and began to walk over there, as soon as she saw where we were going poor girl went into freak out mode. I felt so sorry for her AND him, he was so hopeful and she was so scared.

So I put her back in her pen and calmed her. I just felt, since he so clearly likes her (and she wasn't acting scared or angry at him) I should give it one more go.

I think he is going to be quite sad when she goes away.

No, I don't think we will work with this rescue again. My boyfriend and I had discussed last night whether, if they offered us the girl that our boy got on well with (and she with him) if we should have another go. But neither felt like we want to be "indentured servants" to that bunny rescue.

I will tell you this, because I do want to be as fair to them as possible. While we were there, they have their free nail trimming day, and people came in and out and they all know one another and their bunnies and I think that within that community there is probably a very different feel and experience. They ARE a bunny community. The same folks come in and adopt another rabbit, purchase supplies at the shop, come in for nail trims and to volunteer. So perhaps we just felt like unknown outsiders (which we are) and they were much more cautious about us, when they might not be so much with the familiar faces. The city is 4+ hours from here so we've never met any of them before etc.

While we were there one other "stranger" came in, a woman moving to the area this Summer who is interested in getting a rabbit when she moves, and now that I think on it, they treated her rather oddly as well, and when she left were whispering amongst themselves about whether or not her intentions were good etc, and expressing concern. So maybe it's a tight knit sort of thing.

They did say to several of the folks who came in for trims..."are you ready for another bunny? I know you have room! How are your three doing?" etc etc.

While I AM uncomfortable with some of the terms of the adoption contract etc, I wonder if perhaps they knew us things might have been rather different. I like to think so.

I have no doubt that they truly want what is best for the rabbits.

Yes I DO think he would like a friend. He was just over near her pen again, looking in, sitting near it eating hay, and she wanted to make sure he didn't get any funny ideas, like getting too near, and warned him off.

Now he is sitting on a chair across the room watching me type and watching her do "housekeeping"...oh my does she have fun with piles of paper!

I've read your entire thread and I'm so sorry you're in this position.

I think you're doing what is right for both the bunnies and you.

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))

We are taking her back tomorrow.

The rescue folk want us to try with some other buns (have him meet them) but I don't think that would be at all wise, everything smells like Toast, as I must use the pen/carrier etc right up until we drop her off. Doesn't seem a good way to start a relationship.

And we don't feel comfortable with their contract. If we get another bun we are going to get it so it is ours outright, and I can use my years of bunny know how and the best information I can glean from others and not worry they are looking over my shoulder.

Yesterday while talking to Toast's previous caretaker, she is telling me that she lets her buns run in the garden, and that she NEVER uses the bonding method they made me read up on...

So even their own caretakers don't do what we are told we must do?

I am so exhausted emotionally from all this. Last night I actually had nightmares about rabbits and adoption centers. Totally mad, I couldn't believe it, but I woke up in a sweat!

We are taking her back tomorrow.

The rescue folk want us to try with some other buns (have him meet them) but I don't think that would be at all wise, everything smells like Toast, as I must use the pen/carrier etc right up until we drop her off. Doesn't seem a good way to start a relationship.

And we don't feel comfortable with their contract. If we get another bun we are going to get it so it is ours outright, and I can use my years of bunny know how and the best information I can glean from others and not worry they are looking over my shoulder.

Yesterday while talking to Toast's previous caretaker, she is telling me that she lets her buns run in the garden, and that she NEVER uses the bonding method they made me read up on...

So even their own caretakers don't do what we are told we must do?

I am so exhausted emotionally from all this. Last night I actually had nightmares about rabbits and adoption centers. Totally mad, I couldn't believe it, but I woke up in a sweat!

I am very sorry for you. :(

Perhaps explain to them how you felt and that you would probably have adopted another bun from them had they not been so strict and over protective of their buns. They will never get their buns adopted by new people if they act like over protective mothers constantly. I do think they care for their rabbits, but they care too much..this is one reason why I ended up keeping the bun that I found as a stray. I know fine well that nobody would ever be "good enough" for her! :lol:

I do think you are making the right decision. She obviously isn't comfortable with your boy, even though he likes her. I think they would bond, but you need time and patience and a chance to do everything from scratch..which you can't do with the rescue breathing down your neck.

Sending calming nose rubs to her and your boy. x

Back