• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I almost burst into tears..

The Blue Cross welfare clinic is for people on means tested benefits.
Clients are allowed to register 3 animals, but people who try to join with a pedigree puppy that they've paid hundreds of pounds for are politely turned away.

In this case we have to remember the recipient of the free treatment would be a rescued rabbit, and surely its the animals that matter the most - not whether the owner is driving around in a new car or supposedly receiving oodles of benenfits, or whatever other judgements we can envisage.

Whether now is the right time for Louise is obviously something for her to determine, but if she did take on these rabbits they would be neutered and either kept in a loving home, or found a suitable home afterwards.

I do feel the RSPCA do waste money, but they do also do alot of work, I think it depends on the branch too. I say this about Pets at home not ALL are bad,

Saying this I think free neutering is a really good idea, and that the RSPCA should only treat those that are either neutered or are coming in to get them neutered,

This isnt common knowledge to lots of people along with the fact of the amount of rescues that are out there

In terms of the OP rescueing these rabbits as tempting as it is, I would hold off, I myself have been temped sooooooooooooo many times, but I look at the ones I already have and think with confidence I have given them a better life they would have anyway else,

If you are in a stressfull place mentally and financially i certainly wouldn't get anymore, Pets at home are not very good at getting info in reguards to background knowledge, Doc was a P@H rescue agressive and a biter, hes my most soppy bun, but he does have problems which do all cost

The Blue Cross welfare clinic is for people on means tested benefits.
Clients are allowed to register 3 animals, but people who try to join with a pedigree puppy that they've paid hundreds of pounds for are politely turned away.

In this case we have to remember the recipient of the free treatment would be a rescued rabbit, and surely its the animals that matter the most - not whether the owner is driving around in a new car or supposedly receiving oodles of benenfits, or whatever other judgements we can envisage.

Whether now is the right time for Louise is obviously something for her to determine, but if she did take on these rabbits they would be neutered and either kept in a loving home, or found a suitable home afterwards.

They would have to go back to P@H as when adopting a Rabbit from them you have to sign a contract stating that should you not keep the Rabbit you will return it to them.

[/B]

They would have to go back to P@H as when adopting a Rabbit from them you have to sign a contract stating that should you not keep the Rabbit you will return it to them.

They are ment to but they dont check up on you ive moved away also so whats to stop me from giving doc away ....................................... ( not that would he's going nowhere )

They are ment to but they dont check up on you ive moved away also so whats to stop me from giving doc away ....................................... ( not that would he's going nowhere )

No, but other Rescues on here have similar contracts and I am sure we'd hope that people would adhere to them......................

speaking from personal experience and having been in a similar ish situation, i would wait Louise. :wave:

but the point is Louise COULD afford the neuture but why should she pay for it when its being offered free, why shouldnt someone who is hardworking get something free for once instead of the chavs and low-lifes who dont work!!!

Because its taking advantage of a charity :)

Wow, read your posts with interest. I don't think there is an ideal answer because we don't live in an ideal world. :roll: I don't know your personal circumstances but you seem like your heart is in the right place and I can't imagine you would do wrong by your rabbit. As you say, insurance is a great idea; I got my lurcher from the cat and dog shelter and when he had to have his leg removed it cost (literally) thousands, in the end the vet stopped charging us! :oops: My parents are working class and luckily because they are animal lovers they paid for him but it was a very expensive lesson!

Benjy was just neutered and that was only £42 with all medication/ after care etc and I was really happy with the vets. They spent quite a lot of time talking to me about fly strike etc without trying to sell me anything- just seemed to genuinely care about rabbit welfare. I don't think you need bags of money to be 'okay' to have a pet but obviously that's within reason- if you can afford an expensive dog you should be able to cover bills. I know some rabbits can be expensive with dentals etc but would insurance not cover this?

I guess like others have said, you can't save every rabbit. I went into Gateshead P@H and there was a blind rabbit I was desperate to take but I realised I have to be considerate of the bunny I have and wait for the right time i.e. a female rescue bunny who bonds well with him.

Finally- as for all the benefits comments- I think there is ignorance on both sides- both from those 'un-needy' who accept without thinking of the consequences for those in genuine need and also by those who stimatise all those who accept benefits as the same. At the end of the day, I would blame the flawed system which makes it beneficial for some people not to work at the expense of the ill/ disabled etc who cannot. When I rule the world :lol: all of those who 'can' but 'don't' will do volunteer work: cleaning parks/ painting community centres etc... perhaps cleaning out runs at rabbit shelters:lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do- I'm sure it'll be the right thing.

so....who is it for?

i know what your saying and i can see both sides of the discussion.....
i think what people ae saying is its there for people who already have rabbits. ie. somebody who signs up on this forum. learns new info and then decides to spey their already homed rabbit. not for somebody to go out intentionally buying a rabbit knowing they are going to take it for a free spey with the rspca.
i might be wrong but thats the vibe i am getting. :?

Because its taking advantage of a charity :)

Ditto this entirely.

I think you need to think more with your head and maybe not so much with your heart.
If I'm right from recent threads your moveing or have moved? Its not permenant, in that time you had to have someone look after your pets. So likely to be moveing again. Aswell as this your looking for a job are you not?

I think you need to stop, reasses and wait until youve settled down.
I saw my dream choc dutch in a rescue on RR but had to say no as I waqs moveing and it wasn't fair until Ive settled down.

Personally unless you can afford neuter I wouldn't get another, even if its free and its there for people who do generally need it. Not want a freebie job.

stimatise... stigmatize even!:lol::lol::lol: Or is that the American like realise/ realize???:lol::lol::lol::lol:

but how is it fair that people who dont work (by choice) get everything free????

Its not fair but its just the way it is. These charities are set up so the animals don't suffer. Sorry but there is no excuse for someone who can afford it to take charity just because its there. That free neuter could go to an animal that might not be neutered at all, rather than being taken by someone who will neuter their pet either way because they can afford it

Ditto this entirely.

I think you need to think more with your head and maybe not so much with your heart.
If I'm right from recent threads your moveing or have moved? Its not permenant, in that time you had to have someone look after your pets. So likely to be moveing again. Aswell as this your looking for a job are you not?

I think you need to stop, reasses and wait until youve settled down.
I saw my dream choc dutch in a rescue on RR but had to say no as I waqs moveing and it wasn't fair until Ive settled down.

Personally unless you can afford neuter I wouldn't get another, even if its free and its there for people who do generally need it. Not want a freebie job.

as ive stated louise can afford a neuture....

people who generally need it??? people who cant afford to have pets yet do? people who live of benefits by choice?

Back