• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutches and runs

Thunders_Mum

Mama Doe
I have decided I want to help foster for rescues. However they will have to be outdoor buns as I have two house rabbits already. I am looking at hutches and runs, but I don`t know what is ok as I have never had an outside bun. I am looking at hutch and run combos as I have a biggish patio before the grass, so will be predator proof.

I don`t know if this will be suitable in terms of space, material etc?
http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=553

I can`t have a shed/playhouse either as our garden isn`t that big and we already have a run down shed with bikes and the lawnmower in.

This is something I really want to do as I have the time and money and not to mention I love and adore bunnies :love:

So if anyone would like to help and point me in the right direction please?

No, that's only a 4ft hutch and the other dimensions are less than 2ft. The run is only 4ft x 3ft and less than 2ft tall, not at all suitable.

You want 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a run at least 6ft x 6ft or 8ft x 4ft

Aw that's really kind of you :) I would love to foster when I get my own place.

A single 6ftx2x2 or a double 5ft2x2 hutch with a 6x4 permanent run attached ity free range time would be the minimum foster requirement I'd say. You could contact your local rescues and enquire :)

The best thing to do is contact the rescue you want to foster for and they will advise on their requirements and may even have some local contacts for hutches to be built etc.

Since we stipulate people who want to adopt from us have a min. 6ft x 2ft hutch as well as attached good size run, we would expect our foster accommodation to be the same. Better to contact the rescue first so you don't waste money on something that isn't suitable. Its not usually a quick turn around fostering so any rabbits you have in are looking to be in there for between 2-6 months, if not more so they need it to be as good as if they were in a home of their own.

Good on you for giving your time to this, such a rewarding thing to do if you love rabbits. Hard work and very sad at times but so worth it.

Thanks for the advice :) and dont worry I`m not rushing into buying anything yet, just looking around, seeing what is seen as acceptable as I would never have a rabbit in a small space/space that isn`t adequate. I also already have an outside run that they can spend time it too, just looking around at what I can get for money wise and going to ask about fostering before I buy anything :)

Back