• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch and Run Security

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
Hi,

I'm really sorry for the long post, but reading some of the posts on the forum has got me so worried about the safety of the rabbits I'm going to adopt, so I'm in the process of planning my security upgrades for the hutch and run that I've ordered.

In terms of the hutch I know I need to check:
  • the mesh had been nailed in properly and not just stapled.
  • the strength of the mesh (if necessary I was going to double layer with welded mesh)
  • to upgrade the locks to some heavy duty bolts.
Is there any other common weaknesses in hutchs to watch out for?

My biggest concern is the run however. My plan was to let my rabbits have access to the run during the day when I'm not about – but I'm not sure how to make it sufficiently safe.
The run is made of strong mesh with a wooden frame and will securely attach to the bottom tier of the hutch (and I will make sure the attachment of hutch to run is secure).
My concern is the base of the run.
My original plan was to attach welded mesh to the base of the run, thereby creating a completely enclosed cage. This will prevent the rabbits digging out or anything digging in, it will also prevent the run being lifted, because even if it is – there is still no access to the rabbits. The downside is that the rabbits then have to walk on the mesh in their run. How much of an issue is this? They don't have any feet complaints at the moment, but I don't want to cause them any! I could certainly ensure that the run is firmly pushed down into the ground. The grass is so long at the moment that it would be a carpet between the mesh and their feet (however reading about some of your rabbits I appreciate that this might only be the case for a couple of day). I'd be happy to put a layer of straw down for added comfort.

Everyone else on the forum seems to have buried the mesh under ground, is this the better approach? The main question I had to this approach is what is to stop a fox lifting up the run? I can't permanently attach the run to the ground because I need access to the bottom tier of the hutch to clean it and also when the bunnys are free ranging, I was just going to move the run away from the hutch. I've considered weighing the run down with something (so its too heavy for the fox to lift), but it just doesn't seem like the safest solution. If the answer is to weigh it down – how heavy should the weight be?

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated!

Thank you,

Bunny Mum2b

I think some have done a mesh bottom like you and then turfed over the top. Is that an option? I wouldn't personally have mesh exposed to their feet in case they caught a nail in the mesh, also I don't think it would be very comfy for them.

frame

We made a wooden frame from flat planks, and the run stands on it. The planks stick out a bit either side of the run walls, and there are wooden blocks fixed to the frame at intervals to stop the run from slipping around on the planks (and to stop a fox/dog getting in). The mesh is heavy-dity welded, with 1" ish holes, and fixed to the underside of the frame. Using the frame, the run can be lifted off so the mesh can be cleaned - it gets clogged with hay and rabbit poo and bunnyfluff otherwise. Our buns didn't get sore feet.

Good luck.

If you turn the hutch around and make a hole in the back of it you can permanently attach the hutch to the run and this makes it a lot more secure. I've got mesh with turf on top, you don't really need to bury the mesh and frame, just lay the new turf on top of it. The sides of the run are screwed into the base of the run and so it is all secure.

Thank you for your replies! Its given me some thoughts and ideas, not sure my practical skills are up to it - but I'll give it a try.

U/D

I just thought I'd update this post with the results!

We have successful created a mesh base that the run is sat on top of and is secured to.

My worry about my bunnys feet getting sore turns out to have been over worrying. The bunnys spend all their time in the run (despite the giant hutch they've got) and when they are offered the entire garden, they occassionally go back and sit in the run and they even went and sat on the spare mesh at the other end of the garden! So I don't think mine mind having a mesh base. Certainly stops one of them digging out. He has to be content with digging the rest of the garden up!

Last edited:
Back