• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Huge vet bills for dental bunny. Advice needed!

I find I have a closer bond with those that I have had to become more involved with medically, when they rely on you that much more it's hard not to become emotionally involved with them.

That, and my three poorliest bunnies get to live in the house, so I see more of them too.

I will take on all the advice on this thread! I am amazed at all the replies i have had!
I will take him back for a check up to SAME VET initially- in a few weeks. Try to catch any problems before they occur! Encourage his hay, got all the ideas on high fibre and how to get him to eat the right things. Just eating more would be good! I am optimistic.
If i bombard him with all the suggestions i have had! If not and he turns out to be a monthly dental bunnie he will still be looked after and much loved and i will probably find a new vet that is bunny savvy and less expensive for me and less G.A for him. Thankx

I have 2 dental buns and my daughter has another. The two I have get molar spurs - Twinkle has gradually improved over the past year and now needs check ups/treatment every 2-3 months, she was having treatment every 4 -6 weeks originally, but she now eats more hay so this has helped. Basil, only arrived in August, again with molar spurs, because they were in such a mess originally he's still on 4-6 week check ups/burring. Both are quite relaxed bunnies and have conscious dentals, which cost under 10.00 per rabbit.
My daughters bunny Sooty has problems with his incisors, I adopted him in October and his front teeth had been clipped under GA, since then he has had them clipped at our own vets monthly - again conscious.

Apart from their teeth they are all lively, lovely buns and they really enjoy life, Sooty has now been bonded and lives indoors. Twinkle has also been bonded and lives outdoors.

I hope you are able to find a vets that is more understanding with his prices.

bunnys teeth

aww totally understand and you can't do anything but pay them my bunny doesn't chew things so his front teeth always grow he has too have the front ones out next tuesday poor little bun :(

I highly recommend vet insurance. Go w/ another vet, change the name of your bun when you go w/ the new vet, so insurance has no prev. record of "pre-existing condition"

I highly recommend vet insurance. Go w/ another vet, change the name of your bun when you go w/ the new vet, so insurance has no prev. record of "pre-existing condition"

You shouldnt do this! The insurance co will ask the vet how long the condition has lasted and the vet will tell the truth, if you have just changed the name of your bunny the vet will still know that its the same bunny. Not only that but if the insurance company finds out what you have done, it will affect ALL of your other insurances as once you have commited fraud you go onto a database that all insurers share. Needless to say, once you have commited fraud you will have trouble getting ANY insurance.

I agree - fraudulent insurance claims are a serious matter!
My dentals cost about £80 for a routine GA and burring.
Dentals without GA can be done, but my vet who was very rabbit savvy wouldn't even consider it as you have some very dangerous equipment in the rabbits mouth and any slight unexpected movement could result in some horrific damage. I know some people do it, but personally I wouldn't want to take the risk.
If you are lucky then the dentals MAY become more infrequent. Otherwise I would just suggest a savings account for vets bills!

yeah i thought the same to, my vet said it wouldnt cover maybe the odd insurance company but most would say you have to be with them for so long, its difficult to know what to do, maybe you can arrange a payment plan with the vet, although if its an on going problem its difficult. i guess you have to decide whats best for rabbit its very difficult situation. my neighbor spent £500 on her beloved rabbit, had a major op on the bladder 3 days later she had to put him to sleep she is not sure if the vet should of just weighed it up on the success rate but its difficult and ultimately up to the owner and well not everyone has that kind of money, plus the condition of the bun if its old or young hers was 7 yrs but i think she just had too try she loved him and of course i think it was more disappointing when he had too be put to sleep, after care and all that money but its the rabbits welfare that has to come first.
i asked my vet too break down all the costings so i could understand it better, drugs, op, care, a lot costing went on how long he is under the anesthesia but it helped me see it more than just a big vet bill.

One of my bunnies had to have his back teeth done under anaesthetic when he was about 7 months old, then again 6 weeks later, we were worried what the future was going to be for him having to have it done so often, not financially but the risk of the anaesthetic. The vet advised us to give him a small piece of stale and hard (not mouldy) brown bread twice a week, which he loves!! He had another op on his teeth about 6 months after the second op and has not had another since - that was almost 3 years ago. He's not a great hay eater but I've limited his pellets and that encourages him to eat more hay and readigrass, he also gets lots of hard veg like swede, stalks, etc.

sticking up for the vet....

might be highly contraversial, and i am always open and interested in discussion on this, being a vet student, but i'd like to stick up for the vet, at least partly. I dont know you or your bun well enough to comment fully, or how well you know your vet either, but i would actually rather a vet that encourages another form of action, such as giving the bun to a knowledgeable rescue, for an owner that "appears" unable to either cope with the treatment/recovery or cost of treatment, rather than telling the owner to soldier on and flounder alone. I dont think this is a personal insult to you, he/she is simply trying to work out what is best for both you and your rabbit.

In terms of payment and insurance, definately dont commit fraud, its a very bad idea for you, unlikely to work, very unlikely to benefit your bunny and will destroy your relationship with your vet, and potentially any other vet you move to, as bad payers/creditors/dodgy insurance claims are recorded at most vets and often passed on with transfered medical notes. in this case you just have to accept that you havent had him insured so will have to incur the full cost yourself, which you appear prepared and willing to do. I think AlisonA was right that 2 dentals in a month is highly unlikely to occur again, and like someone else said, a few corrective dentals in a short space of time may cause sufficient realignment to reduce the frequency of dentals in the future and the severity of the disease. If you do need fairly regular treatment most vets can offer a reduced price as part of a treatment plan, including payment options. my college has mixed opinions on conscious/sedated dentals, as someone said they are not as effective, and have other potential repercussions, but they are a viable option if you can find a suitably rabbit savvy vet, but probably not advisable or likely to be undertaken by your average pet vet.

Someone mentioned VAT - i think thats a nice idea but i dont think it would work. some vets do charge extortionate prices and there should be better regulation on these things, and the best way to deal with it is vote with your feet. if vets loose business they often lower prices. having said that, costs and overheads can be very, very high and i know some vets i have worked for make little profit on routine work such as dental, spays, vax etc in order to encourage people to get them done and avoid future problems.

ATB for your bun, i hope his condition does improve and he becomes a hay monster!

Back