• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to get a bun to take baytril....

Do you wrap her in a towel or big blanket when you out her between your knees? I have to do that with Fudgie otherwise she will wriggle away.

I can really empathise, it's such a struggle with stubborn, feisty buns. Snoopy is a dream in comparison. I can just wrap him in a blanket and sit comfortably on the sofa while I give him the syringe. Admittedly, he does destroy the syringes and bite me at every opportunity, but at least I don't have to chase him round the flat!

I've trying wrapping her and its like wrapping a tasmanian devil. The paws go everywhere and she digs herself out. She was sitting quite calmly until the syringe came near! She's an angel in terms of biting, obviously she cant now anyway, but shes never bitten us or anything. Not aggressive at all. Just a wriggler....

The vets said how calm and well handled she is [emoji1787]. Just a tad different at home [emoji537]

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

We find it's a two person job with Rodney. One wrangles the bunny and the other does the syringing

We now have a special jacket to wear just for this purpose as it has some lovely critical care stains and holes from objections.

Unfortunately he knows this and does a runner as soon as he hears the zip.

Similar to the baby food technique if bun likes sweet things we used to mix the medicine into canned pumpkin (unsweetened) and then offer pumpkin on a spoon for Primrose. Eventually she'd take metacam straight off the spoon but not the others.

Also hide the medicated pumpkin on basil leaves to confuse the nose!

In her recent episode Blossom apparently was very difficult at the vets but was a dream for us to syringe although it was obvious that cisapride does not taste nice at all.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

We got to the stage we couldn't burrito Lopsy because he would cause more damage to himself trying to get out :S We just weren't quick or firm enough, the OH is rubbish at firmness and Lopsy is/was a strong 2.5kg monster.

It's the breathing sound like a quick huff? A harumph? Aboleth used to make a snorty humph and we called it her derisory snort :lol: She did it when she was unimpressed :)

Getting it on her paws is probably alright? Don't see how it's any worse than my outside two cleaning their paws every 5mins on the wet grass for the whole day, unless it does contain something skin unfriendly... Better than nothing at all :thumb:

Back