• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old where you when you got your 1st rabbit & why?

I had rabbits when I was a kid, got my first one at about 6. Didn’t look after them properly or care for them as I should have, the responsibility fell on my Dad. They weren’t badly treated, and they were kept together, but I didn’t love them like they should have been loved, and I do feel bad about that now.

After lots of debate with my OH, we got my little Bikky. I was worried I wouldn’t look after her, or I would get tired of her like I had mine when I was a kid, but of course as an adult, novelty doesn’t wear off! She does something new to make me laugh every single day and there is no way I would swap her for the world. She is a spoiled run of the house bunny, and she has taught me (her and my goldfish who just died), that every animal has personality, and can be cheeky and friendly. I will never turn back!

:love:

P.S. Great topic, I loved reading everyone else's!

I was 20 when i got my first bunny, and that was Lottie :) I had always wanted a rabbit, but when i was living at home my mum wouldnt allow it :roll: She thought i had too many other commitments and wouldnt have time for a rabbit. We did have guinea pigs through our childhood though, but they were always mums.

I moved into my first house with my partner when i was 19... and my mum bought me Lottie 3 weeks before my 21st birthday :) I had gone on about getting a bunny for so long, we bought the biggest hutch we could from a local pet shop which was 4 1/2 ft and had a pent style roof, and her run was 6ftx3ft. The lady in the pet shop told me vaccinations were a waste of money :roll: So when Lucy came round to do my homecheck for fostering, and gave me the link to this website, Lottie had an upgrade in her accommodation and run and also her husbun George :love:

xXx

I was 14 when I got Ginger and Pickles. :love: They're my first bunnies but I've been an amazing owner right from the begining! :D

I've had bunnies since I was born, since my family already had them. My first ever was called Rab. He was a free range outdoor dwarf lop (sandy/brown colouring). He was such a lovely little fella, I have a picture of him with my late babies. I miss them all very much! :cry::cry:

basilherbieandrab.jpg

7 i think when i got my first rabbit of my own, had loads of pets but she was mine

then 24 when i was out of the parental home, biggles was a comprmise as my BF hates cats :( but wouldnt change bigs for the world he started my love for buns again

Last edited:
I was 22 when I got my first two. Clover and Blackberry were given to me by my then-boyfriend's mother as his sister had five for breeding - all Lionheads - but didn't look after them so mum got lumbered with it. After months of "if you don't look after these rabbits I'll get rid of them!", his mum asked if I'd like any rabbits - so I took the two does as I didn't want any bonking bunnies - only one hutch at the time. :lol:

Clover and Blackberry were with me for a year before passing away. I have no idea how old they were when I got them but they were definitely getting on a bit.

I had my first bunny at 11. I begged my mum and dad for ages and they got me one for my 11th birthday. It lived with a guinea pig which was my sisters in a hutch run combo and had free range of the garden every day.

Although I was only 11 it was always my responsibility to look after it, although obviously my parents paid all the vets bills.

39! and my first pet as an adult..my youngest son started at residential school but found I needed company and to occupy my day...took about a month in all...reading up etc then I happened to go to a pet shop and there I spotted Bella dwarf lop, whilst I was plucking up the courage to fully commit to a small animal and making sure I was doing the right thing 3 diff people picked her up but put her back down, one lady said to her daughter 'no she looks like she got Petrol feet' cause they were darker than the rest of her :shock::shock:....that was it she was mine, me and the assistant were a bit put out...but that was it totally bunny hooked and then 5mnth on contemplated a friend for her so I adopted Oscar from fat fluffs he's a mini-lop.....I just adore the bunny life!!:love: wouldn't be without them

I was 12 when I got Widget. It was around the time I decided I wanted to be a vet and I convinced my parents I needed more animal experience XD
I bought him with my birthday money but after that my parents paid for all his food and stuff (which I am incredibly grateful for XD). Luckily he was super healthy and never had any unplanned vet trips until the day he died.
Thinking back on it though I wish I could have got him a friend...

I was 29 when I got Benji, well I scraped him off a duel carriageway.
He was a wild bun, aged about 2 months, who had been hit by a car and was sitting in the middle of the road. We turned round and I ran into the middle of the road and grabbed him, this was at about 11pm in a winter's evening.
He had a boken front leg and a damaged eye, so we kept him. He was never cuddly but he was well behaved at the vet, never bit and allowed us to clip his nails and check his teeth. I think he was the first rabbit castrated at our vets and he went on to live with 2 dwarf lop sisters in a big 6 x14 foot run, he died 6 years ago aged nearly 9.

I had my first rabbit when i was a child, n he lived in a good sized run under the kiten window so we could watch him all the time. I dont seem to remember having him that long tho before he was lost to the foxes and id been guttered ever since.
I knew the first thing I wanted to do when I moved out was get a rabbit, I had always had my heart set on another n wanted to keep it as a house rabbit. However, at 24 yrs old, I managed to talk my boyfriend into getting a rabbit but he refused to have it live with us in the house. On the day we went to look at them, he suddenly decided it wuold be lonely n we should get 2!!! Obviously, I was delighted n agreed with him before he could see sense, ha ha.
So now we have two beautiful, but not always well behaved, 5 month old mini lops n I love them

I was about 24. OH saw Deej when he was born and fell in love with him and went on at me for a couple of months that we should have him so we did!

OH still says he doesn't love bunnies, only Deejie! :oops::lol:

:love::love::love:

47! I'm now 49.

Had a lifetime of being around dogs and cats but I took on a rabbit and guinea when a customer I pet sit for could no longer keep them. I'd learned a lot about them from a breeder I work for and other people I pet sit for who keep them.

I had them neutered, got new partners for them and new homes which has all ended up costing me a fortune! :lol:

My parents got Mitzi when I was about 5 years old, she was always grumpy and would never let me touch her. The one day my mum saw a bun in a small cage in the local pet shop, told my dad and he went to collect him - Thumper. Needless to say Mitzi became pregnant but died giving birth. I remember it was a sat morning and it was chucking it down with rain so I didn't go out to see them. My dad went out after lunch and she was dead with one baby half out:( Always wish I'd have gone out earlier. Anyway Thumper lived a long and happy life - over 10 years. He was worshiped and lived in the house or the shed - where ever he felt like sleeping/playing really! He was never neutered or vaccinated and never needed to go to the vets. And he loved a nice cup of tea!!!

I had my first bun, Lipperty, aged 2yrs!!:shock: Obviously my parents were responsible for Lipperty. We never knew if Lipperty was male or female but I thought she was a girl and used to pray every night that she would have babies. This was before I knew about all that stuff.:lol::oops:

She went to the bridge when I was 9. I loved her very much.

As an adult, Peter was my first bun. I was 31. I'm 33 now with 4 buns.

I think I was 11. It reads amusingly badly... I got my rabbit from a garden centre, for my birthday. However, I'd wanted a bunny for over 6 months and during that time I'd taken EVERY rabbit book out of my local library, and then the city library, and copied out passages of text in my own 'rabbit guide'. :lol: I've never been without a bunny since, and I'm 22 now - nor would I ever NOT want rabbits. :love: So I owe my first rabbit a lot.

I think i was about 10ish (not entirely sure) and her name was Bugsy, we got her from my sisters mother in law who's rabbit had had babies. My mom of course looked after her as the novelty soon wore off for me :oops: She lived until she was 6 when she died of cancer :(

Me and the OH bought our own house the middle of May and we got Jose 2 weeks later :D I'd been saying for ages that i wanted a house rabbit when we got our own place and he was always "NO!" - he soon gave in :lol:

I'm now 24 and the OH is 33

Back