• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean the litter box in summer?

How often do you clean your litter box in summer?

• Once Daily

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Twice Daily

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
I was thinking about doing it twice daily as when I'm cleaning there are wet patches, and it shouldn't be getting like that when there is two sheets of newspaper, some megazorb and hay. I feel like it would be best to do it twice, but i don't know if i'm being overly cautious.

If you ditch the megazorb - as it isn't necessary if you're changing twice a day - you'll probably find it quicker and easier to tip and refill with newspaper and hay twice a day than doing it with megazorb once!

If you ditch the megazorb - as it isn't necessary if you're changing twice a day - you'll probably find it quicker and easier to tip and refill with newspaper and hay twice a day than doing it with megazorb once!

Thanks still need to find some newspaper- i'm still buying it in from tesco ( they must thinks i'm mad the amount of daily express i buy).

I do mine twice a day all year round. If one isn't bad then I'll poo-pick and change in the evening. I use megazorb, newspaper then hay on top. Only replace the wet megazorb, but newspaper and hay is removed twice daily.

christ, I don't even do mine every day let alone twice a day!

I've been cleaning out their trays twice a week in winter. I have a layer of aubiose at the bottom which absorbs all the moisture and they usually drag some hay down. too. The top never feels wet really and they don't smell so I'm happy with it.
I'll probably do it more now that summer is on the way but I usually cover my garden in citronella so we barely get flies and bugs.

I disagree! Wet attracts flies and that means maggots! Leaving litter trays unchanged risks flystrike IMO. Duds and mavis have 3 litter trays and I change them twice daily. Couple of sheets of newspaper and a handful of hay is all it needs so it literally takes seconds.

So as soon as it's wet you change it? Even if it's only a small area on the newspaper? Honestly when I change my lionheads trays after three days the majority of the paper is still dry. And I did mention that I will be doing my lops tray more often in summer anyway.

I suppose I ought to really refrain from saying what I do on these types of threads as mine are indoors. I have to keep the door shut to the lops room otherwise they come out and annoy N&S and I have to only open the windows half an inch cos otherwise foxes can get in despite being on the first floor as the roof of the extension comes up past my window. To get air flow and coolness I have a ceiling fan. So my setup is a bit different.

It also doesn't take me seconds. Some days I struggle to lift a kettle so rinsing them with boiling water would be impossible let along carrying a 2 foot long box up and down the stairs.

I still don't feel though that a small wet area on a piece of newspaper immediately necessitates changing it. If it's absolutely soaked then yeah, which is why I'll be doing M&M's box more often now there are more flies around.

Back