• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much time do you spend with your rabbits?

Depends what you mean by"spending time with them" mine live in the kitchen on a table (nowhere near the units) which is right by the door to the living room, every time I walk past I say hi to them, if I'm cooking I'll go and chat to them and they always come begging for treats and nose rubs. I have them out of the hutch usually a least an hour a day but this is run and jump time. So like now... Boris is running round the living room and Hannibal is tugging on my leg hoping to get the treats he knows I have stashed in a tin next to me while I sit on the sofa. I'm not holding them or petting them, but we're spending time together. Every day they get picked up for a cuddle and a kiss but maybe only for 5 minutes as they both much rather be trying to eat my books, Scott's trainers, or running around like nutters than held in my arms. If it's a nice day they usually get a least an hour of supervised crazy running in the garden time.

They have each other 24/7 tho so I never worry that they'll feel too lonely.

I spend more time with Olly and Honey as they live indoors. I spend about 45 mins with them in the morning before work, and probably in total about an hour in the evening. I would feel guilty if I spent less time with them! :oops: only because I think I'm constantly trying to make up for my bridge bunnies from years ago, who didn't really see much if me at all, and I regret that so much now :( I never want to feel that way again and so every spare minute I spend with them :)
Daisy and Digby live outside, I spend half an hour with them in the morning and about the same at night :) (yes I get up mega early in order to do that, and am constantly knackered!) :wave:

I didn't feel like it before him, his litter training sort of put me in this place, he just won't stay clean in the shed, whereas he was 100% litter tray trained in his hutch. It's not his fault really, I think I just feel a bit down at the moment, and have a lot of other pets to deal with too. Don't worry though, they love each other and have plenty space and get everything they need. :wave:
Have you thought bout confining their space until he's going in one corner again and gradually increasing it? It might help him re-learn.
I wasn't worried about them, just wondered what had changed. I spect when your new dog has properly settled in you'll feel a bit better :)

Not a lot :( During the week I spend 10 minutes in the morning saying hello to them, giving them some pellets and hay and change their water. Because it gets dark early and I have a lot of homework from college I only spend about 20 minutes in the evening with them :( At weekends I can sit with them for hours, and if I could in the week I'd spend more time with them.

Archie comes inside every other day or 1-2 hours and i will just sit up there with him not that he wants me unless i have food he's happier to run around my bedroom on the days he doesn't see me much he gets 15-20 minutes out the cage interaction whilst i neaten his cage up and clean the litter tray. Unless its a real rubbish day then he gets about 5 minutes so he does get quite a bit mainly cos hes on his own

Have you thought bout confining their space until he's going in one corner again and gradually increasing it? It might help him re-learn.
I wasn't worried about them, just wondered what had changed. I spect when your new dog has properly settled in you'll feel a bit better :)

I am going to have to do something like that, I just don't like the thought of confining him! I will have to do something though, as it seems all my time spent with them is sweeping up! :lol:

Of course, the dog is taking up a lot of time at the moment, but today she got a rude awakening...Jura bit her on the nose :lol: she won't be going near the rabbit door again, I don't think :thumb:

The bonded rabbits I don't spend much time with, I feed/water/clean and do basic health checks and observe them for a few minutes to make sure they're acting as normal, and occasionally practice jumping with them, the unbonded rabbits I spend more time with, but I only have two unbonded and they have regular contact with each other (and due to be bonded soon!)

They make it very clear to me when they want attention, and I've found the unbonded ones crave it much more, the bonded ones usually don't notice me at all unless they're hungry :lol:

that is so true or is with mind anyway :lol:
my 2 bonded prefer each other
while my sister lonely one loves to play with me although i feel sorry for him :(

Depending on wether I'm working or not:

If I'm working, I will let them out for a run about 2 hours before I need to leave. During this time I tidy their hutch, get fresh hay and water out, plus food. Whilst I get ready, they choose wether they want to come sit with me or not (we'll have a little cuddle and I check their bums), and then I put them back in the hutch before I leave (this can be a battle!).

If I'm off, or OH is off, they have company pretty much all day long apart from when we go to the gym/shops etc.

Oh works shifts, so betwen the two of us, we make sure the buns get lots of love. Though reading the replies, I feel better ~ I was worried I didn't give them enough time, so it's nice to know others have shortage of time too, sometimes! :wave:

Weekdays can vary as I work shifts but every day I will see my buns three times a day; breakfast, dinner and night night time.

Breakfast involves changing litter tray, sweep the hutch, fresh water, some pellets (hand fed) and topping other hay enrichment (ball, holder,rack) - I normally spend 30/40 mins with them in the morning.

Dinner also involves a sweep out of the hutch, take out dirty hay in litter tray and replace with fresh, some pellets & tiny bit of veg (again hand fed) and fresh water - normally spend 40 mins - 1hr at dinner times. (However if on a late shift and not getting back till 9.30/10pm they may only get 20 mins)

Night nights involves a couple of pellets, night time kisses and putting all the covers down for the night - normally about 15 mins.

Weekends I may spend longer at these times if im not working and Sunday morning I do a big clean and sweep and spend about a couple of hours with them :)

The outdoor buns..not enough time!! probs 10mins in the morning, and then a quick goodnight in the evening tho this will change when i get a kennerl as their will be more room to be with them

indoor ones, most of the day!

Daisy's a house rabbit so i spend at least 5 hours a day with her, as she usually sits in the living room beside me when im home. We watch the tv together lol. Daisy can't get enough of my company- when i shut the bedroom door at bed time she bangs on the door looking for me!

Ted and Rosie are house rabbits so we spend lots of time with them, we've not really done anything today so by the time we go to bed we'll have spent about 14 hours with them. When I say with them, in the same 2 or 3 rooms. Actual stroking or giving direct attention, maybe an hour or so a day, but this would be broken up into a few minutes at a time. Neither of them would sit for strokes for more than 5 minutes at a time. We spend a lot of time chatting to them :D. They will both follow us around if they want something :D.

It depends day to day. They are in the house but usually in their room. They will come in the living room, where I am sometimes, but usually just when they want their pellets when they come and trash the place. Sometimes they'll have a mad half hour or come ask for a groom.

Their room is also my craft room, so sometimes I spend hours with them, but usually they just try and push my feet out of their way, since they like to sleep under the desk. :evil:

I spend 20 minutes with them in the morning, cleaning the shed up and emptying litter trays, then I check on them at lunchtime but they are usually snoozing and can't be bothered to get up and come and see what I am doing, they have been having a couple of hours at the end of the day in their big run on the grass and I sit with them for a bit but not too long as they get bored of me, the I have 20 minutes again in the evening, again changing litter trays and a general sweep before I go to bed.

I have just got in (and am freezing!) from spending time with the buns. I went out to clean the buns around midday today, not full cleans, but litter trays in 5 hutches and the big'uns shed. I generally make litter tray cleaning time a time to spend with the buns. I have a little stool that i sit on in all weathers to 'chat' to the bunnies. Even if the bunnies don't like human attention i will sit next to their hutch and talk to them, you know just normal conversation (am i mad or do others talk to their buns?). I must say i spend less time with them than i used to when i just had my own, i now have 3 foster hutches and a foster bunny indoors plus my mums 2 rabbits whilst she is away. I do make a point of spending time with the bunnies every day, even if its just 15 mins each pair of bunnies plus 10 mins twice a day for morning and night time feeds. I don't understand why people have bunnies when all they do is feed and clean them :(

Yes I chat away to my buns!!! I often wonder if my neighbours hear me and think I am nuts!! :lol:

I've only had Jasmine for 5 days now but I must spend about an hour a day, maybe more with her altogether, with the following schedule:

Morning (takes about 10 mins):

Change food, water and hay and pick up pee n poo before work.

Evening (at about 6pm, after coming home from work & walking the pups - about 30-40mins):

Do another pee n poo pick up (as she's indoors for the Winter so don't want the house smellin o' bunny pee!! ;)), then I've been getting her out for a cuddle and letting her have half an hour running round in the spare room where her bunny pad is. Stimulation and exercise!!
She's so funny and getting used to us already. Proper little mischief! I've made her some toys out of loo rolls with hay and bits of her food in them. And some empty one's which she seems to enjoy throwing around! LOL
Love it when she gets a little frisk on and goes beltin round the room, skipping and hopping all over...she really seems to enjoy her little self!!

Then its back into her pad where I've put her veg for the day. She's had allsorts already!! (Not all at once obviously, different 3 things every day for variety and just a bit of each ;))

Clover
Cabbage (little bit-as I know too much can cause tummy upsets and GAS! LOL)
Carrot
Apple
Basil
Parsley
Bell pepper
Cucumber
Tomato
Cauliflower leaves
Broccolli

Not that she's spolied or anything!!! LOL

I'm going to go and try and get some Timothy hay for her 2mrw as the Meadow hay I've got is compressed rubbish!! She doesn't seem that interested in it and I need to make sure she's eating plenty hay daily!!

I could watch her all day...she's so beautiful. I've always been amazed by Rex Rabbits. Their fur is just stunning!! Jasmine is such a little character already. She's becoming more used to me every day and even came over for a head rub this evening. I talk to her all of the time I'm in the room so she gets used to my voice. She's so cheeky, she makes me laugh out loud!!! :D

lol i spend at least 6-8hrs a day with mine
checking everyone over cleaning corners and posing the hares are all vital.
more time i spend with them the happier i am

Giving veg/uncovering runs in winter & doing hay & water takes me 10- 15 mins in a morning
Teatime, I empty litter trays - add hay & water, check buns over. Takes me 35 mins tops
Bedtime, top up hay, feed pellets. 10-20 mins.

So an hour 10 mins a day max, & none of it quality time.

Sat I spend 3 hours cleaning them out & watching them & playing. Sun, is maybe an extra 30 mins watching/playing. The sitting with them is basically just with the single buns.

Back