• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend on your rabbits - challenge

This week I've spent £16 on a Hay4Pets bale, £1.49 on a bag of treat hay, £20 on fabric and fleece to sew some cosy pads for winter and £3 for some Fibreplex (had some money off on VioVet) It's crazy how much you spend on them without even realising it.

Another £10 on hay & roughly £6.90 on veg. So that's £50.85 in total for October.

I need to order some more treat hay and chew toys though....

Its so interesting to read all of these, I might start keeping track of mine! :D

I read articles about how much it costs to keep a bun over its lifetime and it said something like a few thousand? I reckon if you bunny lives to a ripe old age *touch wood* its probably a lot more than that!

Its so interesting to read all of these, I might start keeping track of mine! :D

I read articles about how much it costs to keep a bun over its lifetime and it said something like a few thousand? I reckon if you bunny lives to a ripe old age *touch wood* its probably a lot more than that!

I read a grand per bunny per year but I probably spend around £1000 a year on three. There a few things I do which help a lot with costs such as feeding forage instead of veg, using newspaper instead of litter and getting baled hay. If it wasn't for vet bills and medication then the costs would come down a lot!

I love spreadsheets :oops: so I can see exactly where the money goes!

Last edited:
This week I've spent £16 on a Hay4Pets bale, £1.49 on a bag of treat hay, £20 on fabric and fleece to sew some cosy pads for winter and £3 for some Fibreplex (had some money off on VioVet) It's crazy how much you spend on them without even realising it.

Out of interest, how big is a bale of hay?? Lots of people get them to save money but I don't think I have the storage.

I currently pay £6 a week for 2 large bags of meadow hay from the local market (I love that he saves them for me if I'm late and tells me when he's going on holiday so I can stock up). This *just* lasts 4 bunnies a week.

I'm scared to add up my monthly rabbit costs but think maybe I should...!

Out of interest, how big is a bale of hay?? Lots of people get them to save money but I don't think I have the storage.

I currently pay £6 a week for 2 large bags of meadow hay from the local market (I love that he saves them for me if I'm late and tells me when he's going on holiday so I can stock up). This *just* lasts 4 bunnies a week.

I'm scared to add up my monthly rabbit costs but think maybe I should...!

A bale fits comfortably in one of these so about that sort of size.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-Pack-Go-Storage-Box/dp/B004UTLFW4/ref=pd_ybh_14

(We can only paid about £30 for ours though!)

This month I've spent £20 on hay, £27 on treat hay and toys and £5.20 on veg so that's £52.20 for November and I should . Only be paying out on vegis for the rest of the month.

Just added yesterday's bill for vet treatment - Nutmeg has a very sore eye caused by an eye ulcer and Mini has been itching at her ears a lot - and we're now over a grand for this year. :( One more lot of heart tablets needed for the year as well.

I've updated my original post as it's now been basically a year since I started tracking this!

From 1st December 2013 to 1st December 2014 I've spent £1416.76. It's very high due to the costs of Nena's abscess. If I remove all of Nena's abscess costs the total drops to just £697.42 which I think is a very good figure, although I haven't added any fresh food on at any point. So that's £719.34 on Nena's abscess (without factoring in their insurance costs). Bearing in mind Nena has maxxed out one years £2000 limit and is only about £100 from her second lot of £2000 for this insurance year. Bunnies are expensive!

I also bought a new run for them for £140 but I haven't included that.

I dont keep track. The lady at the market where I buy veg. always says that she would like to come back as one of my rabbits!

Pellets veg hay straw occasional toys

same again for the guinea pigs and similar for the hamsters

dog food each week

EEEP :shock: best not to try to add all that lot up :D

I'm coming fairly near to the end of my science selective now, so I thought I'd check back here to see when I last bought some. I haven't bought any at all for over a year :lol:! I have two massive tupperware tubs left. I'll be switching them over to excel because of the potential choking hazard with SS. Such a shame as they absolutely love it but that small risk of choking worries me.

I'm coming fairly near to the end of my science selective now, so I thought I'd check back here to see when I last bought some. I haven't bought any at all for over a year :lol:! I have two massive tupperware tubs left. I'll be switching them over to excel because of the potential choking hazard with SS. Such a shame as they absolutely love it but that small risk of choking worries me.

It's nice when you don't have to worry about ordering it for ages isn't it! I've found a site where I can get five boxes of Fibafirst for the price I currently pay for four. Five should be enough for an entire year :D Happy days :D

Added on Tapla's recent £70 excess for snuffles, and realised I'd missed out Nena's £70 excess for her abscess for this policy year so I've added that on too!

I lost count last year and stopped keeping track, so this year I've made a spreadsheet. So far in 2015 I've spent £209.47:

Barney insurance £12.96
Anna Healthy pet club £9.99

Back to nature litter £7.00

Dog crate £43.67
Heater £23.95
Scales £34.47

Metacam £77.43

I :love: spreadsheets :oops: :lol:

Are we carrying on in this thread or starting a new one?

Ooh good point... I hadn't actually thought about making a new one, but I'm happy to if people would like to continue it as a 2015 thing rather than a continuous thing!

I was thinking of keeping it in this one just because it means people can categorise it as they want... I started counting from when funds got tight, and I know someone else who tracks theirs (privately) by insurance policy year etc. I didn't make it as a 2014 only thread, it just coincided fairly well so I can see why people would want a separate 2015 one...

If a few of the regular posters on this thread let me know I can make a new one if you wish!

I think it's good for new owners to see the sort of costs involved and where savings can be made. This is my new post for 2015.

2015 Running Total - £265.36

January - £29.88 (Total - £29.88)

Fibafirst x4 £29.88

February - £73.71 (Total - £103.59)

Vetmedin £36
Frusol £9.90
Saline £6.55
Oxbow Critical Care £4.28
Potting Tray to use as a litter tray for Nutmeg £9.99
Small pack of Science Selective Junior Nuggets for Nutmeg £1.99
Hay Bale £5

March - £161.77 (Total - £265.36)