• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rescue buns have you had?

How many rescue buns have you had?

• None

Votes: 8 9.0%

Votes: 15 16.9%

Votes: 15 16.9%

Votes: 11 12.4%

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 8 9.0%

Votes: 6 6.7%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• 11-20

• 21-30

• 31-40

• 41-50

• 51-60

• 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• 91-100

• 100+

• Total voters
I put one because I thought you meant bunnies from an actual rescue centre, but technically the majority of my buns have been from people who no longer wanted them:(

What made you choose a rescue over a pet shop? Did anything prompt you at all ?

I think I was so aware of dog and cat rescues, that logic kind of extended to there being rabbit rescues or rabbits in rescue (like RSPCA). It didnt take much google searching to find out, and after that there was not really any question of getting any from a pet shop.

I also found the idea of the rescue knowing their personalities/health, already having bonded pairs (as I had already read thats how they should be kept), already vaccinated, already neutered, very reassuring, as well as knowing that the rescue was there for advice should you need it. :)

I also felt reassured that the homecheck process would mean that we had got things right and could provide a good home - I was quite anxious to make sure we would be a good home/bunny parents.

Rescues were also mentioned in the books I had bought.

I think I was so aware of dog and cat rescues, that logic kind of extended to there being rabbit rescues or rabbits in rescue (like RSPCA). It didnt take much google searching to find out, and after that there was not really any question of getting any from a pet shop.

I also found the idea of the rescue knowing their personalities/health, already having bonded pairs (as I had already read thats how they should be kept), already vaccinated, already neutered, very reassuring, as well as knowing that the rescue was there for advice should you need it. :)

I also felt reassured that the homecheck process would mean that we had got things right and could provide a good home - I was quite anxious to make sure we would be a good home/bunny parents.

Rescues were also mentioned in the books I had bought.

That's good- when i was younger i had no knowledge of rabbit rescues. I guess because when you go to the major rescues like the rspca- rabbits are not the predominant animals and at ours were hidden away indoors. Alot of people go for cats and dogs, but there isn't as much rabbit rescue awareness i wouldn't say.

One, Gordon :love: I decided to rescue because it was the best way to get Beano a friend, the bun would be neutered etc and I would be helping one of the many buns in rescue's. I will continue to rescue any future buns too :)

That's good- when i was younger i had no knowledge of rabbit rescues. I guess because when you go to the major rescues like the rspca- rabbits are not the predominant animals and at ours were hidden away indoors. Alot of people go for cats and dogs, but there isn't as much rabbit rescue awareness i wouldn't say.

Yeah thats true, you definitely dont hear of it as much. We just thought there must be rabbits in rescues or rabbit rescues, because if dogs and cats get put up for rehoming and rescued, then so must bunnies. So we googled it plus our area and it came up with a couple, luckily. I am so glad that rescues have websites these days, otherwise it might have been a different story, although we did come across Rabbit Rehome too. :)

Yeah thats true, you definitely dont hear of it as much. We just thought there must be rabbits in rescues or rabbit rescues, because if dogs and cats get put up for rehoming and rescued, then so must bunnies. So we googled it plus our area and it came up with a couple, luckily. I am so glad that rescues have websites these days, otherwise it might have been a different story, although we did come across Rabbit Rehome too. :)

I think the Internet has probably helped alot for the buns in need :)

4 or 5 depending how you look at it. Molly my first bun came from someone whose grandkids had got bored of her - she was 9 months old! Did a bit of research about rabbits (yes the wrong way round) found she should have a friend and googled rescues in the North East found NRSA and adopted Buzz. Molly had to be PTS last year and Lady was coming as a foster so I decided to try her and Buzz together and Lady stayed.

Then saw Alfie on here, adopted him from Elaine at Tameside and at the same time had a last minute foster dropped off the week before Alfie arrived. As Matilda or Tilly is the same size as Alfie decided to try them together and that was that.

I put one because I thought you meant bunnies from an actual rescue centre, but technically the majority of my buns have been from people who no longer wanted them:(

Yes they would be rescues too- any bun that is unwanted, neglected, abandoned, stray etc that is in need of a new owner due to whatever circumstances.

We have had 10 over the past 20 years:

Numbers 1 & 2 (Honey & Missy) from people who were intending on letting them grow bigger and then killing them for food.

Number 3 (Keith) was from a vet who was about to put him to sleep as he was a stray nobody wanted.

Number 4 and 5 (Liam & Molly) from people who had too many to keep cool in a heat wave.

Number 6 (Chloe) was an unwanted Christmas gift.

Numbers 7 & 8 (Milo & Niamh) were from litters found in the backyard of a man who was killed in a traffic accident.

Number 9 (Paddy) was abandoned when his family changed address and left him behind.

Number 10 (Fionn) was suffering from congenital heart disease and in the care of good people but who had no idea of rabbits, especially those suffering a terminal disease.

Numbers 6, 7 and 8 (Chloe, Milo & Niamh) are still with us.

1. Reggie was from kirkby as a friend for Ruby who was from a friend's litter. Ruby's mum was bought pregnant from a breeder so she was not a rescue.

My first bun Lopsie was found on a main road in Manchester when I was 11.
Grimlock came to me though a woman who couldn't look after him any more.
I adopted Smoo from BARC because I knew she was perfect for him.

I've actually never bought a bunny. I've bought two chinchillas and a hamster so don't think I'm being all high and mighty, but my bunnies just come to me. Always have and I'm sure they always will.

Yes- they were brought back unwanted- you don't pay for pah adoption centre buns do you?

You just donate what ever you like as it is classed as a charity. They have all sorts of buns, some are just handed in to them if the owners dont want them any more, they aren't all stock buns that have got to old as sometimes suggested on here.

Both my buns where from there. Buster was an unwanted christmas present so was tanken back to them, he was 17weeks when i got him and Lola was really over weight and just a chore to her owners so they signed her over to p@h, she is 4yrs old.

I've never had a rabbit taken from rescue but I've had one dumped on me and I believe Harley was taken from a bad situation, he and his mother and siblings were in a 3ft hutch, no food or bedding, being given away for free to children at six weeks old. Not that the RSPCA have done anything despite me reporting them numerous times

I'm not sure how many rescue buns I've had, but probably in the 41-50 category. Most have come from rescue organisations/centres (Kirkby Pet Welfare, Honeybunnies, Fat Fluffs, Bramcote Rescue, Starlights, Pets at Home adoptions), but I've also taken some via vets, some from free-ads and a few from people I know who didn't want them any more.

One, Barty :love:

It was only once we'd got Heather that we started to really look into rabbit care (bad I know), and we found out about the massive amount of rabbits in rescues. So once we were ready to get Heather a friend we didn't even consider going to a pet shop or breeder :)

The second rescue we went to, sat Barty on my lap and I was smitten, a week later we took my boy home :love::love:

Hazel and Amber: a pair of dutch does that a friend of sister in law no longer wanted (before I knew about getting them spayed 20 years ago)
Holly: a little black baby found abandoned in box on Christmas day about 20 years ago - vet said female, so added Holly to Hazel & Amber, only to find out his was male - he had the snip very quickly!

I had a long break between them and my next lot:

Bugsy was rehomed from a friend of a friend about 4 years ago. Steffi was from a local rescue, but unfortunatley died. Poppy was my ex's brother's girlfriend's rabbit. They didn't realise rabbits chew - so it was confined to an indoor cage 24/7. Then Pebbles whose owner went "on holiday" to scotland, leaving her neighbour (my friend) to feed pets each day - only to discover neighbour wasn't on holiday but had moved to be with someone she had met on internet :shock:

Back