• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
I am looking into getting a rabbit or two. the breed i like are standard rex. How many would be ok in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a run on the grass during the day and free range from 3pm - 5pm? :?

thank you

I am looking into getting a rabbit or two. the breed i like are standard rex. How many would be ok in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a run on the grass during the day and free range from 3pm - 5pm? :?

thank you

Hello! The size hutch you describe is the minimum size for a pair of rabbits. However; it's always preferable to have an attached run rather than a separate one so that the rabbit(s) can choose when to come out. You can buy hutches over runs which take up very little extra space but offer the bun(s) an opportunity to come out whenever they want to. Minimum recommended run size is 6x4ft. :)

With regards to your chosen breed - are you aware of the problems rex rabbits can have? They are prone to sore hocks because the fur on their hocks is often too thin - especially in summer. They are prone to other problems too - Jacks-Jane on here has several rex rabbits and I'd strongly recommend pm'ing her about them before deciding definitely on some.

Not more than two & access to a run should be permanent

Also rex buns are prone to sore hocks - although mine didn't have an issue, wet grass can cause problems for them - as can concrete, or wooden flooring. I kept my rex on equine rubber stable matting, but even that isn't good enough for my recent bun - a conti foster who never left - his sore hocks were so bad he lives on newspaper, + rubber matting, with a double duvet & hay on top. His hocks have healed now, but they were in a very bad way initially

Hello! The size hutch you describe is the minimum size for a pair of rabbits. However; it's always preferable to have an attached run rather than a separate one so that the rabbit(s) can choose when to come out. You can buy hutches over runs which take up very little extra space but offer the bun(s) an opportunity to come out whenever they want to. Minimum recommended run size is 6x4ft. :)

With regards to your chosen breed - are you aware of the problems rex rabbits can have? They are prone to sore hocks because the fur on their hocks is often too thin - especially in summer. They are prone to other problems too - Jacks-Jane on here has several rex rabbits and I'd strongly recommend pm'ing her about them before deciding definitely on some.

I have PM'd Jane-jacks and she said that they shouldnt have a run on concrete and shouldnt have a run on wet grass so ive decided that they are not for me at the moment.

so ive decided.....

to get....

a black and tan belgian hare!!!!! :wave:

Back