• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long to get rid of hormonal behaviour?

moss

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I have a very fiesty little girl bun, who I was hoping would be bonded this week with my other girl, but the bond had to be stopped as she was so aggressive.

She was spayed 5 weeks ago and really hasn't calmed down at all. She is 18 months old - her previous owner intended to use her for breeding, so this is reason why she's only just been spayed since she's been with me.

She has actually bitten the back of my hand tonight and drawn blood, which she's never done before - she's nipped me before but this is still hurting! :(

Has anyone else experienced lengthy times in getting the hormones out of the system? I'm scared to touch her! :(

I'm not sure, but I think I have seen 6 weeks plus mentioned. Certainly, I think males can still be fertile for about 6 weeks after their neuter.

:wave: Did she have a full vet post op check up, including teeth etc

Is the other female spayed and have you bonded in a neutral area?

:wave: Did she have a full vet post op check up, including teeth etc

Is the other female spayed and have you bonded in a neutral area?

Hi Vicki,

Yes, her teeth, weight, eyes, bottom, etc were checked before and after the spay.

The other girl was spayed in June last year and is very relaxed. The bonding area was completely neutral - it wasn't done at my house, but by a lady who regularly bonds rabbits. She said we can give it another go in a few weeks time when she has calmed down, but I don't want to put the girls through unnecessary stress if Belle is still too aggressive! :(

:wave:Is there anyway you can house them side by side (make sure they can't nip noses, even accidently if one is biting the bars it can catch the other and cause conflict). You can try swapping them over everyday or at least their litter trays so they start to get used to each others smells? They will also be able to see each other so start to adjust to each others movements and habits etc worth a try I think if you can.

:wave:Is there anyway you can house them side by side (make sure they can't nip noses, even accidently if one is biting the bars it can catch the other and cause conflict). You can try swapping them over everyday or at least their litter trays so they start to get used to each others smells? They will also be able to see each other so start to adjust to each others movements and habits etc worth a try I think if you can.

Hi Vicki,

Sorry for the late reply - been in London all weekend and haven't been able to get on here much.

They have been housed side by side for a few months now. We have done litter tray and toy swapping in the past - perhaps I should go back to doing it again!

We've also looked at changing Belle from Excel to Science Selective - she just has so much energy, wonder if it could be something in her diet.

Back