• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you treat a bunny that wont let you help it?/ shes gone

Thanks for the ideas :D

we have never successfully managed to get her wrapped in a towel and it seemed to be causing her more stress to keep trying :(

As she has fear aggression we have also found it better for her to treat her in her crate where possible rather than pick her up and put her somewhere else. This is less stressful for her but also means she can't be restrained at the same time so leaves it possible fo her to lunge and bite :?

I managed to give it another quick wash this morning and I mean quick :lol: Ideally I would like to wash it thoroughly 3 or 4 times a day but with me here on my own most of the time its very unlikely I will be able to find a way to do this.

I will definately try the blowing thingy though. It reminds me of Barbara Woodhouse, that shows my age :lol::lol:

I forgot about the blowing technique and I use it alot on mine when they wriggle and struggle:roll:. I think you would be better chatting to your vet and see what suggestions they come up with:)

Why do we have these lovely little creatures:?.

I forgot about the blowing technique and I use it alot on mine when they wriggle and struggle:roll:. I think you would be better chatting to your vet and see what suggestions they come up with:)

Why do we have these lovely little creatures
:?.

If I had a pound for every time I have said that !! :roll: :wave:

If we had a pound everytime we said it we could afford more bunnies :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks jane

She didn't like the blowing just made her growl and lunge a bit too close to my face :?

I've managed to get her eye open but half wish I hadn't :( It is so tremedously sore inside, I am in tears for her. It also looks much more bulging today :cry:

After seeing what happened to Fuzzy with his tooth roots I am scared the same thing is going to happen to her and I never want to see that again :cry:

Liz, think positive (I know it's hard) you have been through so much. I am more than sure your luck will change real soon.
Sending you a hugxx

These are pictures from today, I'm sure it looks worse that the first ones I posted but maybe I am looking at it too much and becoming paranoid after everything that has happened to the other buns :?

Its just that this is happening when she is coming to the end of all her treatment and should in theory be better :(

Sorry its a bit blured

HPIM2103.jpg

HPIM2102.jpg

Her eyes do look sore..but whatever decision you may have to make Liz I'm sure, despite her bad temper, she knows you have done all you can.

Looking after these very ill creatures is so hard..emotionally draining when faced with so many good byes..physically draining whilst they are with us.

Thinking of you and Primrose xxx

Thanks Jill

I know I'm not able to bathe it as often as I would like but she is having fucithalmic twice a day and has just finished a 2 week course of septrin. She has had a dental with some problem molares removed two weeks ago and tearduct flushes each week for the past 3 weeks so I just don't understand why it has got so bad in the past week or how on earth it is going to get better :?

ETA Steve has just come home and seen her for the first time and he definately thinks it is a lot worse than 2 days ago and that the pictures I have just taken don't look as bad as it does in reality :cry:

Last edited:
It maybe the picture angle but I don't think it looks as bad, but you are dealing with it on a daily basis so you will have more of an idea. You can only do what you can and what she will let you do. It maybe worth speaking to your vet sooner at least then you are not torturing and doubting yourself until Wednesday.
Take care and hope you are okxx

I'm sorry to hear things aren't the best with this poor bun.

Although I haven't been able to update much, Eddison has gotten even more aggressive in the new territory. In the past, what has worked for me is putting a towel over him, then kneeling on either side of the towel, pinning him down. I try to let the towel cover his eyes, because he seems to calm quicker. I talk to him the whole time, and he doesn't really like being pet, so I just focus on doing things as quickly as possible, then rewarding with raisins afterward. He seems to settle down when he realizes he can't go anywhere, and just kind of grunts in disapproval.

There is always that trade off of "is this worth it?", but I think it's at least worth seeing. Right now, I question whether or not Eddison has dental issues. I wonder if this gets fixed, could he be less grumpy? I know I'm grumpy when I can't eat! I wonder if she isn't feeling kind of low with a gunky eye and might feel better once all the gunk is out (at least temporarily).

Definitely a tough decision, and I know you guys will figure out what is right for this poor girl.

Sending vibes, as always. xxx

It maybe the picture angle but I don't think it looks as bad, but you are dealing with it on a daily basis so you will have more of an idea. You can only do what you can and what she will let you do. It maybe worth speaking to your vet sooner at least then you are not torturing and doubting yourself until Wednesday.
Take care and hope you are okxx

Thanks

You can't see how badly the eye is bulging from the photo, but it definately sticking right out now. I think I need to stop looking at it evey 10 minutes though :oops:

we have debated whether to take her sooner but if we can keep her comfortable we will wait for wednesday as that way she will be able to see the good rabbit savvy vet who has treated her for the past 3 weeks. She will be able to make a more informed decision based on her progress, whereas if we take her earlier she will probably end up seeing a vet we don't like and who doesn't know her :?

I'm sorry to hear things aren't the best with this poor bun.

Although I haven't been able to update much, Eddison has gotten even more aggressive in the new territory. In the past, what has worked for me is putting a towel over him, then kneeling on either side of the towel, pinning him down. I try to let the towel cover his eyes, because he seems to calm quicker. I talk to him the whole time, and he doesn't really like being pet, so I just focus on doing things as quickly as possible, then rewarding with raisins afterward. He seems to settle down when he realizes he can't go anywhere, and just kind of grunts in disapproval.

There is always that trade off of "is this worth it?", but I think it's at least worth seeing. Right now, I question whether or not Eddison has dental issues. I wonder if this gets fixed, could he be less grumpy? I know I'm grumpy when I can't eat! I wonder if she isn't feeling kind of low with a gunky eye and might feel better once all the gunk is out (at least temporarily).

Definitely a tough decision, and I know you guys will figure out what is right for this poor girl.

Sending vibes, as always. xxx

Thanks Sara, its not the aggression that is the main problem although it does play a major factor in how much we are able to do for her. At the end of the day her tooth roots are pushing her eye out and causing the gunkiness. Even if she wasn't aggressive eventually there would become a point where we could no longer help her :( But we just want to make sure we are trying our best to help her while we can and giving her quality of life for as long as possible.

Thanks Sara, its not the aggression that is the main problem although it does play a major factor in how much we are able to do for her. At the end of the day her tooth roots are pushing her eye out and causing the gunkiness. Even if she wasn't aggressive eventually there would become a point where we could no longer help her :( But we just want to make sure we are trying our best to help her while we can and giving her quality of life for as long as possible.

That poor thing. :( At least if you got one good cleaning a day versus a few so-so cleanings, it might stress her a bit less.

What breed is she? Is the tooth problem genetic? Sometimes I wonder why some buns have to go through so much pain and suffering and others live a perfectly happy life. She is still quite lucky to be in your care, and I hope you guys find a comfy routine together.

What a poor wee soul she is.
I can imagine how hard it is for you to try to get her eye better. Kermit had alot of problems with his 'down' eye, so i had to bathe it and give him eye drops alot of the time....it would clear up for a bit then just get infected again.
He used to let me clean his eye no bother at all, i used to rub his head and he would sit down where he was, then i could get to his eye no probs.....its like he knew!.... god only knows what it would have been like if he didnt!
I hope that this wee baby gets better......but im sure she knows herself that your trying to help her out, some of us girls can just be stubborn at times!!

Back