• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you stop feeling responsible...U/D Vets Report

if the babies were dead then she might have died anyway from infection or the stress of labour might have caused her heart to give out if it was weak. I think you did the right thing.

I'm so sorry:cry: you made the right decision for her, like others have said some things are just beyond our control :cry: you can't torture your self with " what if's," if you hadn't have had her spayed she may have died and you would be asking your self " what if I had her spayed,"
Sometimes we can't win :cry:
Thinking of you xx

I'm so sorry:cry: you made the right decision for her, like others have said some things are just beyond our control :cry: you can't torture your self with " what if's," if you hadn't have had her spayed she may have died and you would be asking your self " what if I had her spayed,"
Sometimes we can't win :cry:
Thinking of you xx

i agree a no win situation for you...... she didnt have pain thats a good way for her to go hun :cry:

I'm really sorry this has happened.:( I still struggle with the decision I made to have Phoebee spayed in June. We lost her and I have had a real problem with it since. I do know I made the decision for all the right reasons and genuinely believed it was the right thing to do, and I think that's all you can tell yourself. You acted with the best of intentions and no bunny mummy could do more. I hope you feel better about it soon.

Poor bun was beautiful:cry: It feels worse losing her so soon than at least knowing she had had a short time being loved. My fault I guess rushing every possibly pregnant female to the vets before they've had chance to draw breath (or give birth - like the Original two).

Even if you weren't keen on speying Sooz, I would've been pushing for it. I had a foster bun recently. She was overweight so was rehomed through a Rescue pre-spey. The new owner's vet found mummified foetuses in her womb & she was just fine, so maybe this bun would've had a longer life if she hadn't have been spayed within hours of the stress of travelling to a new home. But you can never know:cry:

With how hectic the last week was and the shere number of rabbits coming in it seemed the best thing to do.

I have always tried to emergency spey where possible....Bessie came in last week and was under GA the following morning along with Samson. I know there is an increased risk but its still very slight by comparison.

She would have had to be speyed sooner or later either way and we still may have lost her.

I am VERY angry with the ex-owner though, her lies about her age could well have cost this bunny her life. I cant believe she was insiting she 'couldnt be pregnant' to me on the phone :evil:

With how hectic the last week was and the shere number of rabbits coming in it seemed the best thing to do.

I have always tried to emergency spey where possible....Bessie came in last week and was under GA the following morning along with Samson. I know there is an increased risk but its still very slight by comparison.

She would have had to be speyed sooner or later either way and we still may have lost her.

I am VERY angry with the ex-owner though, her lies about her age could well have cost this bunny her life. I cant believe she was insiting she 'couldnt be pregnant' to me on the phone :evil:

She rang me Friday & said she thought she definitely was. I told her she was already booked in for an emergency spaey, but I could pick her up earlier than Monday if she was nesting (so babies were born here).

Oh did she?

I think she was in a panic for me to take them because when I realised she was trying to breed from them I drilled her about the posibility of pregnancy....she may have thought I would say no.

The threat of her popping them all on the free-ads was enough to convince me though :?

BTW your inbox is full ;)

You could only make a decision based on what you knew and also what you were told. Sounds like she would have been in trouble anyway, even if she wasn't spayed. :(

Your title says 'how do you stop feeling responsible', and that's the whole point really, you had to take responsibility when someone else allowed the poor little thing to get pregnant in the first place, then lie to you about her age etc. :(

I know how you feel...We had Nena spayed, because I insisted, after a week of baytril. She stoped eating, vet wasn't sure wether it was blather or uterus infection. I had already said I wanted to get her spayed, because she had e false pregnancy every month...so the vet said, I can open her up, remove the uterus and then we will be sure...

The day we had an appointment to get her spayed, I was banging on their door half an hour early, her partner Falco had blue lips, wasn't breating, he had a second hartattack at the vets... Meanwhile poor Nena was in a bag next to him...

Vet said to postpone spaying, since Falco died and that was enough emotions for me in a day.. I insisted he went through with it, said I had my bad luck for that day...she died of hartfailure during surgery....

The guild is part of the mourning proces and now , 5 months later, I know I made the right decesion, she would have died, her uterus was complitely infected and baytril would hav eonly postponed her death. It was better for her to go on the same day as her OH...

I am sure you made the right descision as well...try to accept what happened and keep up the good work you are doing everyday... I am sure ,you must be an incredible strong person, otherwise, you couldn't do what you are doing. People tend to underestimate what it takes to run a shelter, the sad things with wich you are confrontated every day...

I hope you find lots of good homes for some buns next week!!!

I know how you feel...We had Nena spayed, because I insisted, after a week of baytril. She stoped eating, vet wasn't sure wether it was blather or uterus infection. I had already said I wanted to get her spayed, because she had e false pregnancy every month...so the vet said, I can open her up, remove the uterus and then we will be sure...

The day we had an appointment to get her spayed, I was banging on their door half an hour early, her partner Falco had blue lips, wasn't breating, he had a second hartattack at the vets... Meanwhile poor Nena was in a bag next to him...

Vet said to postpone spaying, since Falco died and that was enough emotions for me in a day.. I insisted he went through with it, said I had my bad luck for that day...she died of hartfailure during surgery....

The guild is part of the mourning proces and now , 5 months later, I know I made the right decesion, she would have died, her uterus was complitely infected and baytril would hav eonly postponed her death. It was better for her to go on the same day as her OH...

I am sure you made the right descision as well...try to accept what happened and keep up the good work you are doing everyday... I am sure ,you must be an incredible strong person, otherwise, you couldn't do what you are doing. People tend to underestimate what it takes to run a shelter, the sad things with wich you are confrontated every day...

I hope you find lots of good homes for some buns next week!!!

Wow, that's a:censored: day.:cry:

As you know from previous posts I'm opposed to emergency spaying in late pregnancy. I also wonder about the practice of rushing a rabbit to be spayed when it's just been uprooted and taken to a strange place, if they can die from shock at the site of a fox then I'm sure they can up and die due to too much stress......

.......... however I understand that rescues have to make tough decisions and this was one of them. She may well have had underlying reasons why she died and if the babies were already dead she would have possibly be suffering complications due to this. You ask how do you stop feeling responsible, you don't as you made the decision - but with each decision you make you are increasing your knowledge and experiences and therefore helping other rabbits who may come in in the same circumstances in the future. Any of us can only do what we think is right, I am pro-spaying even though some rabbits die in the procedure, but I would feel horridly guilty if my rabbit died during the procedure that I had consented to, I think that's normal.

As you know from previous posts I'm opposed to emergency spaying in late pregnancy. I also wonder about the practice of rushing a rabbit to be spayed when it's just been uprooted and taken to a strange place, if they can die from shock at the site of a fox then I'm sure they can up and die due to too much stress......

I agree, but I also wonder how many buns would survive with the inexperienced people who accidentally breed, so I think the risks are equal.

I picked up 2 free ad buns once & the next day they had babies. Ideally, a pregnant bun shouldn't be moved at all.

Incidentally, this wasn't a late spey - although we thought it might be - the dead babies were less than one week formed apparently. That said, I may think about things differently next time (no females!!). I think the reaction depends on the bun too. I have a bun here that refuses to eat after the stress of a vets visit, but another that regularly accompanies me on visits to my parents. I guess it depends on the nature of the bun. I've had 3 different sets of bonders her too recently. That must be stressful for them too. Strange place. Other bun smell. Different human, & a partner that keeps chaing them.

I would love to be in a position where I could let every pregnanct bunny go full term but its not possible or practical....sometimes the only way I can justify taking 'mum' on is if no babies come with her :?

As much as I would adore having baby bunnies bounding about I have to be realistic.

Incidentally I will normally wait at least a week before neutering if its not an emergency. Bessie, however, would have been pregnant by her brother so it was vital she did not go full term and having him neutered at the same time meant they could stay together.

As I said you're between a rock and a hard place really and at the end of the day not by your causing. It does sound like this poor rabbit couldn't win either way, if she'd not been rescued by you she would have probably died anyway. Makes you so angry doesn't it that rabbits are treated like this by people who don't know better and then lie to you :evil:

Sorry to hear about Harley. RIP little bunny.

Sooz - try not to blame yourself, as you do so much good for these bunnies. However, I think the day people stop feeling responsible and guilty in situations like this is the day they stop caring, and thats not a good thing. As previously said, for every bun who reacts badly or dies from spaying, there are 20+ who are saved from cancer or having litters that they are not healthy enough to raise. As ever, I admire what you do and the hard decisions you have to make. Take care x

So sorry to here about harley,you are great with buns ,when i got sophie done they gave her human aneisthetic as it is better than bog standard and more tested,were in the same boat at the moment sooz as you know i lost teasel,rick:(

Back