• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you keep the rabbit from pulling at his cage bars.

I do try to give them enough exercise. in the summer I put them in a run outside and in the winter or when its raining I let them run around in the shed where I keep them. I raise them for meat. I will try to get them bigger hutches and I did rehome several just this past summer.but I do need to disagree with what you said, catxx. my cats and dogs have the run of the neighborhood and I am NOT going to let my rabbits run all over the countryside
don't take it as a personal offense but I am just saying that you do need to keep tabs on the rabbits.

I'm pretty sure catxx didn't say you should let your rabbits run free. I can't imagine anyone here recommending that.

I do try to give them enough exercise. in the summer I put them in a run outside and in the winter or when its raining I let them run around in the shed where I keep them. I raise them for meat. I will try to get them bigger hutches and I did rehome several just this past summer.but I do need to disagree with what you said, catxx. my cats and dogs have the run of the neighborhood and I am NOT going to let my rabbits run all over the countryside
don't take it as a personal offense but I am just saying that you do need to keep tabs on the rabbits.

How old are they before they are slaughtered?

Jackson given that everyone aside from you loves their bunnies and raises them as pets and not to kill, do you really think you're on the right forum?!

Personally I don't think it's advisable to let cats and dogs roam around either. That wasn't catxx's point though. Rabbits are very active animals, just like cats and dogs. People don't keep cats and dogs in small hutches for any amount of time because everyone knows how active they are and how they also require mental stimulation that a hutch can't provide. It's the same thing with rabbits but sadly many people don't realize this.

It's good you have a run and a shed that you use for them to run around in and that you're trying to improve their husbandry. :)

Jackson given that everyone aside from you loves their bunnies and raises them as pets and not to kill, do you really think you're on the right forum?!

Why do people always say this when someone on this forum raises rabbits for food? Lots of people on this forum eats meat. If you eat meat you can't be against people raising rabbits for food. I think it's illogical no matter what you eat though (I'm vegan) as the world isn't on the brink of becoming vegetarian any time soon so people have to raise animals for meat.

Anyway, this forum is supposed to be about ALL rabbit owners being united so everyone can learn more about keeping rabbits properly. I don't think excluding people from this forum is very productive towards that goal. The logo says 'rabbits united. working in harmony for a better future'. Not 'pet rabbit owners clique'.

Also there are other members on here that raise rabbits for food. And that doesn't mean they don't also love rabbits. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I send some to market and I also have some as pets. I am attached to my rabbits and its always hard when one dies, and I do love my rabbits.

Last edited:
I send some to market and I also have some as pets. I am attached to my rabbits and its always hard when one dies, and I do love my rabbits.

I'm sorry I don't understand how you can say that you're attached to them and say it's hard when one dies when you sell them for meat?! Surely if you were that attached you simply wouldn't sell them!

I know in the Uk,we have game rabbits ,that is wild ones shot etc.not happy about that,but I'm not a vegetarian so I do know that wildies are free etc not in cages etc to be fattened up.I know things are different in other countries etc.I do know that rabbit meat farms in the Uk are not well policed etc.Intensive farming for meat in the Uk,poultry,lamb etc also disturbs me. I try to be free range etc not always possible money wise,but just the thought of buns that trust you build up a possible bond etc,then being sold for slaughter doesn't suit me,my opinion

I also remember watching an episode years ago of Floyd around the med,he was a British chef.He visited a market In Eygypt where they had live bunnies on top of a table etc.They looked like domestic pet buns,,white buns black and whites etc lops etc.he stated we in britain look at these as pets etc,I.e he know they were not wildies.However he understood this was a source of fresh meat for the poorer people in the markets,no refrigeration etc.That I can understand,not wealthy countries like us and the USA etc..different cultures i suppose.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't understand how you can say that you're attached to them and say it's hard when one dies when you sell them for meat?! Surely if you were that attached you simply wouldn't sell them!
I am attached to my pet rabbits. I said nothing about selling my pets. I have my pets and my breeding stock and my market rabbits.

I also remember watching an episode years ago of Floyd around the med,he was a British chef.He visited a market In Eygypt where they had live bunnies on top of a table etc.They looked like domestic pet buns,,white buns black and whites etc lops etc.he stated we in britain look at these as pets etc,I.e he know they were not wildies.However he understood this was a source of fresh meat for the poorer people in the markets,no refrigeration etc.That I can understand,not wealthy countries like us and the USA etc..different cultures i suppose.
its actually just the opposite in the USA here rabbit meat is only sold in elite 5-star resturaunts

its actually just the opposite in the USA here rabbit meat is only sold in elite 5-star resturaunts

This is the view the UK has with rabbit meat, a lot of supermarkets are stopping stocking pet food containing it now. Fortunately don't find it for sale in the meat isles very often or outside independent butchers, still hard to prove whether it's wild shot or domestic raised.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shocking-images-show-horrific-cruelty-6510449

I didn't mean let them run free. Dogs and cats shouldn't roam free outside the boundaries of your home either. I meant offer them a large amount of space to run (not hop, RUN) around in 24/7. My rabbits are kept in a large enclosure which is secure for them and predator proof.

Last edited:
Do you sell live rabbits, jackson? Do you know the people you're selling to are going to kill them humanely? I'm fine with people raising and killing their own meat but it becomes a little more gray to me when people sell animals to be killed by other people because unless you somewhat know the people you're selling to how can you be sure they're going to kill them humanely? What if they feed them live to snakes, use them as live bait, let other pets "hunt" them?

Also if you send them to an actual market to be sold live to whoever buys them I would imagine they're scared and stressed and maybe not handled and cared for properly. I do know of people on farming forums that sell live "meat animals" to people and I know they make sure the people they're selling to are humane about it. So it's not always a bad thing. But generally it's not something I feel good about because usually there's that unknown factor in how they're slaughtered.

Most people on farming forums either raise meat rabbits to eat themselves or for their pet dog/snake/whatever to eat or it's a case of 'I want to breed and sell rabbits for show because I'm dedicated and passionate about keeping breeds pure and healthy and the ones that don't fit conformation I'm going to either sell as pets, eat myself, or sell for meat'. Which is much more ok in my eyes than just willy nilly selling meat rabbits to whoever will buy them for some money. But I guess even if you yourself do do that yours are probably kept much better than many rabbits raised for meat...the tiny little 2 by 2 foot cages that are totally bare of any toys/furnishing and have a grate bottom that a lot of meat rabbits are kept in 24/7 is just awful.

So yeah...I dunno, it's really a gray area for me. And I could be totally wrong in my assumptions of how/who you send rabbits to slaughter so if that's the case I apologize :)

This is the view the UK has with rabbit meat, a lot of supermarkets are stopping stocking pet food containing it now. Fortunately don't find it for sale in the meat isles very often or outside independent butchers, still hard to prove whether it's wild shot or domestic raised.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shocking-images-show-horrific-cruelty-6510449

There does seem to be a perception in the UK though that rabbit meat is common in the US and that's really not the case. I've seen it brought up on this forum several times before and it's always baffling to me because it's definitely way more common and more socially acceptable in the UK to eat rabbits. That was one of the first things I noticed when joining this forum.

There's the 'how could you eat a fluffy little bunny rabbit' thought process with most people over here which I think is helped by the fact that the majority keeps rabbits indoors here so they're very much seen as pets/part of the family. I've never heard people joke about eating rabbits (the rabbit stew/pie jokes that RU folks say they get a lot from family/friends/colleagues) and I've also never seen rabbit meat sold at supermarkets. I've never seen it in cat/dog food either.

Honestly I can't see why it matters though. Why are rabbits more important than, say, chickens? I strongly believe that no species is worth more than another. IMO people that are so emotionally disattached to "farm animals" are just...odd. I can't understand it. I don't have to keep an animal as a pet to understand that they're intelligent, living breathing animals all with their own individual personalities.

Even people on this forum though have said they were shocked to find how smart and full of character rabbits were when they got their first rabbits and I'm just like why? What were you expecting? :? I mean I could understand if it was more like 'wow I didn't know rabbits would follow you around the house like a puppy dog' or 'I never knew that rabbits had all these little quirks about them like xyz' etcetc, more specific things. I've had that with animals too - of course you never truly know what a species is like until you've keep them yourself or spent a lot of time interacting with them. It just bothers me when there's a tone of surprise or incredulity at their intelligence/character, as if they thought they were just emotionless meat machines.

There does seem to be a perception in the UK though that rabbit meat is common in the US and that's really not the case. I've seen it brought up on this forum several times before and it's always baffling to me because it's definitely way more common and more socially acceptable in the UK to eat rabbits. That was one of the first things I noticed when joining this forum.

There's the 'how could you eat a fluffy little bunny rabbit' thought process with most people over here which I think is helped by the fact that the majority keeps rabbits indoors here so they're very much seen as pets/part of the family. I've never heard people joke about eating rabbits (the rabbit stew/pie jokes that RU folks say they get a lot from family/friends/colleagues) and I've also never seen rabbit meat sold at supermarkets. I've never seen it in cat/dog food either.

It may not be as common as fish or chicken, but there is cat/dog food with rabbit in the US
http://www.petco.com/product/115806/Natures-Variety-Instinct-Grain-Free-Canned-Cat-Food.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/126788...-Free-Alpine-Rabbit-Stew-Canned-Dog-Food.aspx

I can't be against people raising their own animals for food as I eat meat myself. I wouldn't eat rabbit though. I have seen it on plenty of middle-class menus in the UK but they often state that it's "wild" rabbit, not farmed. At least a wild rabbit has felt grass under its feet and been able to run free and binky. Farmed rabbits just don't get that opportunity as there's no regulations in place to protect them.

Jackson - are your rabbits in a barn in that case? That seems to be the usual way of keeping farmed rabbits in the US. If it has the capacity, building them pens on solid ground would be better than cages. If you took a pic or drew us how your current set up is, I'm sure we could think of a redesign to give them more freedom and space to be rabbits.

I think the reason why people are surprised at the personality and intelligence of rabbits is that so many people remember pet bunnies from their childhood, which were kept alone in tiny hutches with no enrichment and very little human contact - cleaned once a week and bowl topped up with muesli (or worse) once a day.

Essentially we got used to bored, lonely depressed rabbits who had just shut down and given up. And to be blunt, rabbits like that aren't any fun and it's very hard to see their personalities.

It's a complete contrast to our healthy happy bunnies, and that's what surprises people.

I didn't mean let them run free. Dogs and cats shouldn't roam free outside the boundaries of your home either. I meant offer them a large amount of space to run (not hop, RUN) around in 24/7. My rabbits are kept in a large enclosure which is secure for them and predator proof.
sorry:oops:

Last edited:
It may not be as common as fish or chicken, but there is cat/dog food with rabbit in the US
http://www.petco.com/product/115806/Natures-Variety-Instinct-Grain-Free-Canned-Cat-Food.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/126788...-Free-Alpine-Rabbit-Stew-Canned-Dog-Food.aspx

I can't be against people raising their own animals for food as I eat meat myself. I wouldn't eat rabbit though. I have seen it on plenty of middle-class menus in the UK but they often state that it's "wild" rabbit, not farmed. At least a wild rabbit has felt grass under its feet and been able to run free and binky. Farmed rabbits just don't get that opportunity as there's no regulations in place to protect them.

Jackson - are your rabbits in a barn in that case? That seems to be the usual way of keeping farmed rabbits in the US. If it has the capacity, building them pens on solid ground would be better than cages. If you took a pic or drew us how your current set up is, I'm sure we could think of a redesign to give them more freedom and space to be rabbits.
my rabbits are not in a barn. they have large cages and at least 2 hrs. running around and binkying. they are fed twice a day on pure non-sprayed grass no pellets and a carrot each. fresh water is available to them in water bottles 24-7 and their cages are cleaned twice a week. the cages all have second levels and a unlimited supply of hay, a box/hideyhole and plenty of toys. that goes for all my rabbits, meat rabbits included. I know how they kill my meat rabbits and they do it very humanely.

Back