• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you describe your rabbits to others?

How do you describe your male and female buns to others

• Doe and/or buck

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Female and/or male

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Girl and/or boy

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Husbun and wife

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • other - please state :-)

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
Either boy and girl or husbun and wife. :wave: If I was calling a rescue though to ask about a bun I'd use male and female. I say husbun and wife if I'm talking to the vets! :oops:

eric and es:D

people who know me (enough to talk about the bunnies) know who i mean - or should do!!

I would normally say girl and boy or lad for my lot.

I always call my trio of girls (Poppy, Pansy & Daisy) The Flowers. :love:

I use buck and doe. I think it is when I am talking about something medical or behavioral. If I am just gibbering on about how wonderful and daft they are I will say husbun, wife etc:?

Never really thought about it and I am most certainly not a breeder:)

Usually boys. I've never said doe/buck but I don't feel thats cold hearted sounding. It sounds normal to me, like calling baby dogs puppies.

I don't think this, not wishing to be pedantic but that's like calling baby buns kits. It would compare to calling your dog a dog or *****, or for horses sire/dam/mare/stallion.

I refer to them as boy and girl if someone asks the sex, if Im talking about them in general they are my babies!! or if Im talking to my mum about them they are daisybum and Sootybum!!:oops: she understands!!

i always use boy and girl, nothing else - unless i am talking to my boyfriend about them and reggie is usually called "the grey one" or "the grumpy one" or "little bunny" and ruby is "the ginger one" "or the big one"

sometimes my family calls my cats "the girls" which makes me laugh a bit as it makes me think of children!

I don't think this, not wishing to be pedantic but that's like calling baby buns kits. It would compare to calling your dog a dog or *****, or for horses sire/dam/mare/stallion.

I am the only one to tick the first option:shock:

I do use the word that will be astrixed for my female dog sometimes. I think when I use these terms it is because I am not referring to them as my cute, fluffy, darling pets, but as the animal they are:?

And I do call female horses mares, especially if they are being particular stubborn that day:lol:

I guess I was brought up to use these terms when talking seriously about an animal. But I am totally soppy about them all:love:

I am the only one to tick the first option:shock:

I do use the word that will be astrixed for my female dog sometimes. I think when I use these terms it is because I am not referring to them as my cute, fluffy, darling pets, but as the animal they are:?

And I do call female horses mares, especially if they are being particular stubborn that day:lol:

I guess I was brought up to use these terms when talking seriously about an animal. But I am totally soppy about them all:love:

I understand where you are coming from and have myself in discussion on occasion with a vet for example called a female a doe, but it's normally by accident rather than by design.

I would also call a female horse a mare but I don't think I've ever called a dog a b itch, only appropriate humans :oops:

Yeah, those are better examples. I wasn't thinking clearly at the time :lol:

When I talk about goats I have often called them billys/bucks or does, but then I don't have any goats... if I did I'm sure I'd call them boys or girls, like I do for my other pets, but I still don't see a problem with calling pets bucks/does. I wouldn't ever call a female dog a ***** though :lol:

No I never call them buck or doe, generally speaking its boys and girls and maybe occasionally when introducing new people to them or the vet or something I may say male or female.

Sitting in the vets recently with their insurance certificates I noticed it says either doe or buck there, and I remember thinking it was quite unusual to see them written as either a doe or a buck, even though technically they are - I did expect to see male or female.

I do think doe or buck sounds very clinical, as its the technical wording but there is also something endearing about it in an odd way too. :oops::oops: Perhaps doe more than buck - it implies gentle and doe-eyed to me :oops: But it also reminds me of breeding. :(

Back