• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you choose a name for a rabbit?

Seahorse lives with me. :lol: It's his middle name now. :)

I won't go through all my rabbits' names, but will cover the current ones (and ones related to them).

Elphie, Galinda, Nessarose - they are the 3 "witches" from the Wizard of Oz themed musical, Wicked. Never had a Fiyero because I always seemed to end up with does at the time. :lol:

Athena - Athena told me her name was Athena, not Gwyneviere. She started off the Greek gods/goddesses themes.

Rivergrace and Morningstar - Rivergrace is a beautiful name which I read in a small Nintendo 3DS side game. I waited for the right bunny to come along. Morningstar (which can mean both the devil and Jesus) has the same kind of rhythm, and works with the fact Morning can be both brutish and loving. River and Morning don't live together anymore but were adopted together.

Erasmus Chipper - he's one of my honeybunny boys. To represent their new start, I always rename adopted rabbits. Erasmus, I found in a baby names book and it means "worthy of being loved." He was adopted out as a "harder to home" rabbit and that's why he received that name specifically.

Helios and Selene - they are the emissaries of the Sun and the Moon in Greek mythology respectively. And it works really well with their aesthetics.

Persephone - when I rescued Seffy, it was Persephone (for a girl) or Zeus (for a boy). She was a she, so that Greek mythological name stuck. It works considering we rescued her from the "dark" aka an abandonment in a hamster cage.

Morpheus Seahorse - Morpheus is the Greek God of Dreams. He's a harlequin lionhead, so how can he not be a dream to look at? :)

Iris and Arce - the Goddesses of the Rainbow and the double Rainbow respectively.

Niji Taco - when Iris died, I really wanted a name to represent "rainbow" for Arce's new husbun. Niji is the Japanese for rainbow.

Yuki Winter - Niji had a "difficult" neuter and recovery for Jill. Arce was beginning to mope for company, so we chose to adopt Yuki as well. Yuki, to fit in with Niji, is a continuation of Japanese themed names. Yuki means Frost, so his name is Frost Winter in English. :lol:

The full/original names of those I have adopted:

Nessarose Lisa
Athena Gwyneviere
Rivergrace Minnie
Morningstar Socks
Helios Gizmo
Selene Smudge
Iris Wispa
Arce Twix

and the aforementioned Honeybunny boys:
Morpheus Seahorse
Erasmus Chipper
Yuki Winter
Niji Taco

They are only registered under their forenames though. And even then I get queer pronunciations. Sometimes the vet just says "the rabbits please!" when referring to me though. :lol:

Some of mine have had names when I got them, and some I've either chosen or changed if I didn't like them. My first was Clover, she was called Little Face, because although she was black and as shiny as a Pantene advert, her face was like a wild rabbit in shape. Next was Charlie, Alfie and Pippin, who were her husbuns in order, two houserabbits, one after the other were Bugsy (he came with that name) and Buster, then Apple (second wife of Pippin), Topaz (rescued from a neighbour of a friend), Smartie, Toffee and Parsley. I only have the last two left now, no more for me. It's so easy to keep getting another one to pair up with a bereaved bunny, but I must stop now!

Lucky and Charlie had already been named when I adopted them. Toffy was named by my wife. Willow was named after the free willow ball gift that PAH gave me when I adopted her.

My only lasting success with giving our pets names was with our chickens who I named Tikka and Masala.

Seahorse lives with me. :lol: It's his middle name now. :)

I won't go through all my rabbits' names, but will cover the current ones (and ones related to them).

Elphie, Galinda, Nessarose - they are the 3 "witches" from the Wizard of Oz themed musical, Wicked. Never had a Fiyero because I always seemed to end up with does at the time. :lol:

Athena - Athena told me her name was Athena, not Gwyneviere. She started off the Greek gods/goddesses themes.

Rivergrace and Morningstar - Rivergrace is a beautiful name which I read in a small Nintendo 3DS side game. I waited for the right bunny to come along. Morningstar (which can mean both the devil and Jesus) has the same kind of rhythm, and works with the fact Morning can be both brutish and loving. River and Morning don't live together anymore but were adopted together.

Erasmus Chipper - he's one of my honeybunny boys. To represent their new start, I always rename adopted rabbits. Erasmus, I found in a baby names book and it means "worthy of being loved." He was adopted out as a "harder to home" rabbit and that's why he received that name specifically.

Helios and Selene - they are the emissaries of the Sun and the Moon in Greek mythology respectively. And it works really well with their aesthetics.

Persephone - when I rescued Seffy, it was Persephone (for a girl) or Zeus (for a boy). She was a she, so that Greek mythological name stuck. It works considering we rescued her from the "dark" aka an abandonment in a hamster cage.

Morpheus Seahorse - Morpheus is the Greek God of Dreams. He's a harlequin lionhead, so how can he not be a dream to look at? :)

Iris and Arce - the Goddesses of the Rainbow and the double Rainbow respectively.

Niji Taco - when Iris died, I really wanted a name to represent "rainbow" for Arce's new husbun. Niji is the Japanese for rainbow.

Yuki Winter - Niji had a "difficult" neuter and recovery for Jill. Arce was beginning to mope for company, so we chose to adopt Yuki as well. Yuki, to fit in with Niji, is a continuation of Japanese themed names. Yuki means Frost, so his name is Frost Winter in English. :lol:

The full/original names of those I have adopted:

Nessarose Lisa
Athena Gwyneviere
Rivergrace Minnie
Morningstar Socks
Helios Gizmo
Selene Smudge
Iris Wispa
Arce Twix

and the aforementioned Honeybunny boys:
Morpheus Seahorse
Erasmus Chipper
Yuki Winter
Niji Taco

They are only registered under their forenames though. And even then I get queer pronunciations. Sometimes the vet just says "the rabbits please!" when referring to me though. :lol:

Rivergrace is a beautiful name :love:

I also love names that are more than one word. I know Parsnipbun does this and I am always envious, but then never think of doing it at the time I have a new bunny!

Greek mythology is also a wonderful resource. In fact, there is probably too much choice for me ... Rabbit in headlights syndrome :lol:

Some of mine have had names when I got them, and some I've either chosen or changed if I didn't like them. My first was Clover, she was called Little Face, because although she was black and as shiny as a Pantene advert, her face was like a wild rabbit in shape. Next was Charlie, Alfie and Pippin, who were her husbuns in order, two houserabbits, one after the other were Bugsy (he came with that name) and Buster, then Apple (second wife of Pippin), Topaz (rescued from a neighbour of a friend), Smartie, Toffee and Parsley. I only have the last two left now, no more for me. It's so easy to keep getting another one to pair up with a bereaved bunny, but I must stop now!

Are you really going to stop keeping rabbits altogether PM?

I must say I had a bit of trouble keeping up with your genealogy there :lol:

Clover had three husbuns, right? What age did she live to? One of mine had three husbuns too :D

The names of our pets have usually just happened - I always end up calling them something that just comes to mind as I get to know them. Boris our first bun is now called Bobo - it just happened naturally. Feather our little Nethie is such a Princess - that has become her name. And poor Bug - I was calling her Bug whilst we were thinking of a name for her - she was a wee little thing - but Bug just suited her and it stuck (and nothing to do with Bugs Bunny but rather the insect :lol:).

When our dog Barney came to us - he was called Sydney but neither of us liked that and it didn't suit him - but Barney does. Gizmo is just a Gizpiggle, Gizmodo, Gizpig - very rarely called just Gizmo.

I do the same with humans - my colleagues often get called something I feel suits them more than their real name - causes much confusion :lol:

Frosty and Snowflake are my two impulse pet shop buys (and the reason that I joined ru). It was November when I got them and the names suited the season.

Tessie and Daisy were already named at barc and I liked the names.

My next rabbit to be is one of the sweetest rabbits that I have ever seen (picture of) Will see what name suits once I get to meet him!

its harder to decide these days as we have to agree. I tend to use short names that get made in to long silly nicknames, Noodle was Noodle Poodle P!ssy Pants for many years. I've always liked the names I've given my rabbits , especially Ralph :love: For me I have to meet the bunny first, their name comes once I've got to know them a bit

The names of our pets have usually just happened - I always end up calling them something that just comes to mind as I get to know them. Boris our first bun is now called Bobo - it just happened naturally. Feather our little Nethie is such a Princess - that has become her name. And poor Bug - I was calling her Bug whilst we were thinking of a name for her - she was a wee little thing - but Bug just suited her and it stuck (and nothing to do with Bugs Bunny but rather the insect :lol:).

When our dog Barney came to us - he was called Sydney but neither of us liked that and it didn't suit him - but Barney does. Gizmo is just a Gizpiggle, Gizmodo, Gizpig - very rarely called just Gizmo.

I do the same with humans - my colleagues often get called something I feel suits them more than their real name - causes much confusion :lol:

Feather is an original name :D

Yes why is it we humans always elongate/make funny a perfectly good name :lol: Probably endearment? Does that apply to your colleagues then Fellie? :D

Frosty and Snowflake are my two impulse pet shop buys (and the reason that I joined ru). It was November when I got them and the names suited the season.

Tessie and Daisy were already named at barc and I liked the names.

My next rabbit to be is one of the sweetest rabbits that I have ever seen (picture of) Will see what name suits once I get to meet him!

Oooh this sounds very exciting :D

Is he from Barc as well?

My first rabbits were named after lipsticks that my Mum was selling when I was a child, she had a makeup business briefly and all the boxes were in our dining room. They were Dusky dreamer, and Ebony Smudge. Dusky was agouti and Smudge was black and white.
All the other pets have been random, mostly chosen by the children, they take turns, cats Diavlo (my son was 7 and really into moshi monsters at the time), Gemini after the stars sign. Rabbits Lavender and Jet were named by the children as were Piper, Lucy and the new Pepper. Dave was called that already and we didn’t change it.

He is from honeybunnies. It really is exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! Just trying to get transport sorted atm. Such a pest not driving. Will go by train if nec. I feel ever so lucky.

I have this dilemma at the moment.

Looking for something different but easy enough for the vet to shout out in the waiting room :D

Does the rabbit suggest a name to you, or do you pick it out of a hat? :?
(the name, not the rabbit!)

Any photos of the rabbit with the dilemma?

My first rabbits were named after lipsticks that my Mum was selling when I was a child, she had a makeup business briefly and all the boxes were in our dining room. They were Dusky dreamer, and Ebony Smudge. Dusky was agouti and Smudge was black and white.
All the other pets have been random, mostly chosen by the children, they take turns, cats Diavlo (my son was 7 and really into moshi monsters at the time), Gemini after the stars sign. Rabbits Lavender and Jet were named by the children as were Piper, Lucy and the new Pepper. Dave was called that already and we didn’t change it.

I love the names of those lipsticks from the 'old days' :lol:

I know I've said it before, but Piper has a special place in my heart - but didn't you say she's a bit of a tearaway?

When I was little I had a grey dutch bunny who was called Puzzle because I didnt know what sex he/she was and didnt like the idea of looking!!!!

Most animals here have arrived with their names from rescues, but Cuthbert was a joke but it suits him, to me he is like an old slightly eccentric gentleman whereas Dillon is just a thug in fluffy pants

Back