• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did your bunnies/pets get their names?

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
I see so many wonderful/creative pet names on this site and I often wonder how your bunnies/pets got their names.

Raven was named when I got him. He is a completely black nethie so that is probably why.

Heidi was called Fraidy by her prior owner, a young teen living on a farm breeding rabbits as an agricultural project. She has a tattoo in her ear from being in a few shows before I acquired her. Soon after I got her, I noticed she would hide her head when she was scared so I wonder if she though I could not see her because she could not see me even though her entire self was visible. She did not respond to her original name and I had a friend named Heidi so one day I decided Heidi was a more appropriate name for my pretty girl.

Amber got her name because of the very pretty colored fur. It sparkles with lovely highlights and shading. Plus it is a pretty name for a pretty gir.

Zorro got his name because he was bullied by other bunnies, and was covered by bite marks when I got him. He has a darker mask over one eye and I though my sweet boy needed a strong name so he would not be bullied ever again.

Over the years I had many other bunnies and some took minutes to name, others days. My late Gemini was named seconds after we adopted him from the rescue. We just learned his date of birth seconds before we were taking him to the car and my spouse noted he was a Gemini just like spouse so we decided to name him Gemini.

Some of the others were named days after we learned their personalities (Digger, Dancer, Dash, Bopper, Though Stuff (T.S.), Snuggles, Amigo, Angel, Zipper), others got named for their appearance (Smokey, Sable, Snowy, Dot, Blackie, Dusty, Midnight, Teenie Weenie). Many got nicknames, some got multiple ones.

It would be fun to learn why your bunnies/pets got their names.

Last edited:
Your bunnies names are lovely bunny momma, particularly Amber, really suits her. I've only ever had two buns, sadly both now at the bridge. I chose the names Toffee and Treacle , before I'd even found the bunnies, just liked the sound of them. They did suit them though, both were the sweetest natured bunnies.

i agree, Amber is a lovely name for a lovely bunny.
mine have all been already named & it has never felt right to change them :lol: - but they have always been names i've been very happy with :)

Fern was Macadamia at the rescue, which was a nice name but a bit of a mouthful. We wanted a shorter name and ended up picking Fern.

Theo is short for King Theoden. I was adamant about wanting something Tolkien-related but could easily be switched to something more 'everyday' :lol:

Odin was Odin when we met him at the rescue, but it was a sign that he was ours as our dogs have all been Egyptian Gods, so it made perfect sense that our rabbits would be Norse Gods :lol: Freja should strictly speaking have been Frigg (as Odin's wife), but she was just too beautiful to inflict that name on her, so we sidetracked a little and ended up with Freja. Went through several spelling versions too though before we settle on the J.

With dogs I have names before I have them next one will be BO (It will), then Sky (Sky is the limit). I like short calling names. With cats-easy, male will be Freddie (Mercurry) and female Freya (goddes).

Small mammals and rabbits-after characters of TV shows. Mostly detective series. Had hamsters Rex, Fitz, Frost, Miss. Marple, Miss. Fletcher and now rabbit Sherlock. I I have plenty names to give. :)

I was really into Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games on the Wii when I got Sonic :lol: His moult was always spectacular, and every couple of years he'd get a bizarre blue tinge to his fur, so when people jokingly asked "oh, well is he blue?" I got to say, "well actually, kinda" back to them. He was also fast, brave and loved jumping inside hula hoops (the big ones, not the crisps!) if there was ever one left on the floor. It was a strange happy accident, but he suited the name to a tee!

I do find it restrictive having to choose names we both like. They tend to be based on bunnies personality more than anything. Joey was called Warren by the RSPCA. We chose Joey as his periscoping reminded us of a baby kanga. Boo was Pippa with the RSPCA - too much of a nice & normal name for an extrodinary bunny. We chose Boo as she looked like a ghost & spooked alot. Mousey was Betsy at Camp Nibble. I just didn't like that name :oops: Mouse was because of her clever face, timid nature, bright eyes & big round-ish ears:love:

Lopsy started life as Flopsy and Matt didn't want to change it too far from his original. Aboleth arrived as Bluebell but I'd been adamant we were naming at least one female pet Aboleth (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Aboleth but the top picture is rubbish, see the picures at the bottom in the Gallery instead!) because it's a lovely word and I'm a bit obsessed with them XD Aboleth hadn't been Bluebell very long at all so that was OK. Chibbs had 'always' been Chibbs so we stuck with it :) My first rabbit Charlie was called such because he was funny, and Charlie the Clown was a character in The Shoe People (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shoe_People).

I didn't like Sophie and Casper's names when I adopted them, but I didn't want to change them into something completely different, either, in case they knew their own names, so I chose names that sounded a bit similar. So, Sneezy became Sophie and Ceasar became Casper.

I just looked up what Ceaser, spelled that way, means, and apparently it's a Latin name meaning "hairy child". :lol:

I didn't like Sophie and Casper's names when I adopted them, but I didn't want to change them into something completely different, either, in case they knew their own names, so I chose names that sounded a bit similar. So, Sneezy became Sophie and Ceasar became Casper.

I just looked up what Ceaser, spelled that way, means, and apparently it's a Latin name meaning "hairy child". :lol:

perfect then :lol::lol: I'm glad you changed from Sneezy, I've never liked it when pets are named after something that ails them or after their less than satisfactory previous living conditions

[/B]

perfect then :lol::lol: I'm glad you changed from Sneezy, I've never liked it when pets are named after something that ails them or after their less than satisfactory previous living conditions
Yes, I should've let him keep his name. :lol: Sophie was actually named after one of the seven dwarfs. Her mum's name was Snow White, and her siblings all had dwarf names. She did actually keep sneezing, though, when I adopted her, so maybe they gave her that name on purpose, which is just sad.

I just liked Bumble. Then I got a husbun so called him Bee to go with Bumble.
Someone suggested Butter-Bean on the thread on here discussing what prince George would be named, as a joke. So I decided I'd use it for bunny

Great thread this one. We got into rabbits when I discovered a jet black bunny roaming our street many years ago. We put notices around but no one replied so we accidently adopted him. We hummed and haared for ages about what to call him but the clue was his colour as he was black. I wondered about pepsi or cola - but they really didn't seem right, but sticking with the fizzy drink theme we called him Max. He was a beautiful rabbit - I wish I had been on this forum when we had Max. Gentle and loving natured.
We then adopted George - or rather 'rescued' him from some people who kept him in extremely unsuitably small hutch in a house with 3 out of control dogs. George turned out to be a she so we simply turned him into Georgina. Sadly before we could bond her with Max, Max went to the bridge and we adopted Sam from a resuce centre. Another boy with a 3 letter name. When Sam went to the bridge we adopted a gorgeous soft bunny who is my soul bun, who had no name. We called him Ben - another 3 letter name. Ben was just amazing.
When Georgina passed, we adopted Lillian so again, a strong female name. Ben sadly passed 3 weeks after we got Lillian and we then adopted Henry who came with his name. Henry went to the bridge and we thenadopted Leo last year - 3 letters again. And now we have Flo - or Florence to give her her sunday name.
I am loving the interesting background stories that you all have.

Maple was originally called Caramac. She is all melty and gooey like Maple Syrup when she gets a smoothing.

We very rarely actually call her Maple and she is most commonly known as Syrup, Syrupy, baby lady girl, Custard, Dr Custard, Syrupness

Bodmin is his original name but he also has a variety of names here including Mr Badoodle, Badaoodle-Bop, Badeedle-Do

Back