• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Did Everyone Get Started Owning Buns??

I have 2 buns when I was very young, They were sisters called Pitch and Patch. I have no idea what breed they were and to this day I'm convinced that we (my brother and I) were just a front so mum could have buns again. :lol:
One of them was huge and the other was teeny, both had 'english' markings. Pitch had black bits and Patch had grey. They used to come out everyday and Dad built them a massive hutch complex.
They eventually passed to the bridge aged around 8-9 and we were all heartbroken.
Mum refused to have any more but her friend had about 6-7 and heaps of piggies and she used to pay me to clean them out after school. (I think she was just humoring me!)
2 years ago when I was at uni, one of the girls I lived with got a bunny who lived in one of those hideous 'starter hutchs'. She then ended up with 2 more in the same sized hutch. She never looked after them unless she was showing them off (if that makes sense) and because I'm a softie, I started to clean them out, feed them, give them water and try to handle them (they were all quite unmanageable, but I was getting there!) Then I had to drop out and move back home. I found out a couple of months later that some of the other girls had gone to visit her (she'd moved out) and found the single bun had died and the other two were horrifically emaciated. They girls had taken them to the RSPCA and Jess didn't notice they were gone for 2 weeks.
This haunted me since I heard about it and I wish they had told me....I would have traveled back to Bangor (about 9 hours) to save them.
When I moved in with my OH we wanted to get a dog but the landlord wouldn't let us. Neither of us like cats and then I came up with the idea of a house bunny. After what happened at uni I was petrified of the same happening to me (silly I know) so I did masses of research into different breeds and how to keep a house bunny. I then ended up getting Blue from a girl at work who had an accidental litter (bless her she was mortified) and he now rules the roost. He's my constant companion when my OH is away (navy) and I would be lost without him.
Now I'm working on OH to let me get him a girlfriend!

I did have a bun as a kid but that was zillions of years ago :oops:.

7 years ago, I was in Focus Do-It-All pet section looking for some food for the fish and I spotted this red-eyed white bun all on his lonesome. I asked if he was for sale and the assistant said "maybe, but we think he's blind, would you like to hold him". So I sat on the floor cuddling him and fell instantly in love :love:. That was it, smitten in an instant :love: He was sold to me for half price due to his "blindness" and I bought a plywood 3 foot starter hutch for him. I'd already decided to name him Totti :love:.

I'm not convinced he is blind as he belts round the garden but he definitely has weak eyesight.

So my wonderful Totti is to blame for starting my obsession :oops:

Never really liked buns much, especially after helping a neighbour out with her bun over the holidays (he was not very friendly as he hadn't been handled much).
However one day I was washing up at the sink, and i noticed a bunny on top of our guinea pig run. I went outside and he bounded over excitedly and was really easy to catch and very affectionate. We found out who he belonged to and he was part of an unwanted litter and was waiting to be placed in PAH adoption section. So after very little negotiation my husband agreed to let us have him. Then we had to get him friend, and cut a long story short - we have 4 now!! I cannot get enough of them. No pet has ever affected me so much as my rabbits - I am just the mad bunny woman (as my work collegues call me)

honey came from PAH :( (sorry) and now im thinking about getting her a friend (rescued hopefully) and she seems lonely and i think would love a friend:D

This is the biggest thread i have started thanks for all the replies guys!!

I had a large, elderly guinea pig and a friend of mine told me that there was a tiny bunny in a rescue centre that needed a good home. I had all the stuff already, a spare hutch and run etc. So, I went over to have a look, Inky had been found at the side of the road at a month old, he was so tiny, I just loved him from that moment:D.

With Smokey, my other rabbit Floss had died after only a short time and the rescue centre said that Smokey had just been left of her own after her partner had died. I went to pick her up and when I went over to the run, she came over to have her nose scratched, that was it really:love:!

well

I owned buns when I was younger 2, 1 after other both lived outside. To be honest back then not enough advice care about them to what I know now. I think we prob killed my 2nd one with kindness (Sweep was a school bun who suffered terribly we took her, her story at www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com) Eventually she got flystrike twice and we had to have her took to bunnyheaven. Looking back I feel we over fed her etc but vets never said nowt.
Anyway when I moved into my own place I decide a ferret was for me then changed mind and got bun. We searched rescues looking for 1. Most looked too much like my old ones then we got winnie. He was going to be a house bun, never lived indoors before but was absolutely amazing learned potty within 5 mins of coming home.
We took to vets and she kept saying he'd like a friend (already wanting another) so that made up our minds and we went to where she said another rescue. Winnie picked Angel and it was lurve at first sight never had a fight yet!
Although One day id love to rescue I feel 2 is more than enough at mo it wouldn't be fair to them to get more animals. So I'm trying my best to help promote rescues esp where we got ours as they as all do really touched my heart. So we have a book called Not just a rabbit (meant to be on sale from fri but had delay) money going to rescues and I done web page www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com to help others as its from talking to others that you really learn about them. So everything we experience goes on that page.
I dont get any money etc and I have lost quite a bit doing these things publishing a book etc but it means a lot to me that I can help a little. I would have only wasted my money on stuff thats not important so to help save a life or make a bun comfortable is more than money itself.

Aw I love this post its so funny what makes us addicted to them! I had my first bun at 5 (!!)- a present from my Grandad (though probably as much for my mum as for me and my sister as she loved him to bits)... he was a beautiful nethie but with New Zealand markings. I loved him to bits and used to get home from school and tell him about my day rather than telling mum!:oops: I saw he died when he was 7 and I was heartbroken.

Then we got Blackie and Hazel- two female dutches who had a rocky relationship and loved and hated each other depending on the season! They were seperated, but then Hazel (my sisters bun) died and she got Acorn (aka Mr Fluffs) who was neutered and moved in with Blackie- in two adjoined hutches.

When we lost Blackie, Fluffs was devastated so we got him a new wife from the RSPCA called Fern. They hated each other and after one of Fluffs' anorexic episodes I slyly moved him inside and there he stayed. Fern got a new husbun!

I still have Fluffs who is now 11, but when my hubby and I bought our house, I set my heart on getting more! I intended to rescue but ended up with 4 babies. So I've never really been without a bun- and think they've always done well out of me but can't believe the different lifestlyles my buns have now to that that Peter had when I was little... :love:

Before we were married hubby dumped me and it was a choice of cutting off my hair and dying it blonde or getting two rabbits....

Long story short he now lives with me and about 35 rabbits and never dares leave me again .........

Before we were married hubby dumped me and it was a choice of cutting off my hair and dying it blonde or getting two rabbits....

Long story short he now lives with me and about 35 rabbits and never dares leave me again .........

:shock::shock::shock:

I made a very foolish ill thought through decision to get Gregory from a pet shop - because I was lonely living in my flat on my own (never intended to live on my own for long but my boyf and I broke up a month after I bought the place!)
Never thought I'd have 2, but couldn't resist baby Twombly (now Gretel!) when I saw her picture on here! Now I'm addicted!

I got my first rabbit as a kid. She was rather large and black. She was called, Thumper, because she kept the whole house up the first night we had her thumping. I got her from a fellow student at school who had lost interest in her. I had a good long time. She was a great bun bun.

Now I have Pirate, he is an English Angora. I am learning to spin and want some nice warm angora wool for mittens, hats, scarf and if I get really ambitious mixing it with llama or sheep wool for a sweater. I also plan to sell some wool. You could say my rabbit has a job, which he does rather well.

We actually owned 2 rabbits previously (when i was very small) called Thumper and Cassie! When I was on placement for the 2nd time round at the local nursery, the teacher asked me if i would look after the nurserys rabbit for the 2 weeks holidays. The day I took him back, I ended up going to the petshop in my dinner hour, asking how soon they could get a rabbit to the shop for me if i came back, and I went back after id finished my day at nursery. The petshp bloke give me a choice of colours (i chose black :love:) and up turned my gorgeous prince boy Phoebe!! :D
After Phoebe being so down and poorly, we decided to get him (we thought he was a girl) we got Phoebe a lady friend,Piper!
Then discovered some weeks later my rabbits had been mis-sexed and had a litter of 8 gorgeous kits, and i was so proud of Piper, she was every bit the perfect bunny mum! she even fed them infront of me (which apparently is a very rare thing to see!!) We then kept Holli!
Fletcher, i decided i wanted a boyfriend for Holli, and in true fashion, it didnt work like that and Fletcher ended up as a single bunny, they did bond but the slightest bit argey barbey set Phoebe off. At the time we were fostering a very nervy bun called, Ella, and decided to keep her and put her togeather in the shed with Fletcher!
There you have it :lol:

Back